Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #201  
    sounds to me like your wifi is getting stuck because some of your modes are not getting triggered/untriggered. You never want to create other modifier modes. It is possible to have "data on" work with other modifiers but it increases the complexity of the logic.

I would set all your modes back to the way documented in my first post, then create another normal mode that is exactly the same as default mode, with the exception of wifi set to enable. Also add in any triggers you need to activate this mode(ex. 7PM 6AM time trigger, keep the triggers to a minimum if possible). That should work.

This way "data on" is the only modifier and allowed to trigger without interference and default mode will get replaced by you new normal "night" mode. At 6Am the time trigger will expire and default mode will get re-activated shutting off wifi.

I would get this working first then try adding in your touchstone triggers and other triggers one by one. Until it works reliably.
    ^mu7efcer

I leave my wifi onall the time. Battery life is good even with it on. I found that the data radio used way more battery. Wifi was not worth the hassle for me.
    @palmuse: I agree that the data radio uses way more battery than wifi. However, the problem isn't wifi, per se. Rather it's synergy that seems to want to sync itself all the time. And it seems to me that's what consumes battery. Leaving wifi on all day is certainly better than leaving evdo on all day. But turning both radios off until they're needed is what I'm aiming for.

@draghon: what is the significance of modifier modes vs normal modes? Because I have this problem with wifi in general with mode switcher. For example, I ran into this problem when I had only one modifier mode and a default mode. In that case "+DataOn" turned both wifi & evdo on, while Default turned them off. Eventually wifi would get stuck. And just to clarify, when I say it's stuck, I mean that even manually turning on/off wifi with the "Wifi" app fails. When I try, I get the spinning wheel of doom.

Also, I don't understand how the multiple modifier modes could be interfering with each other. Each modifier mode that I have controls unique settings. "+DataOn" turns on the EVDO/1xRTT radio. "+NightWifi" turns on the wifi radio. And Default turns both radios off. How is it that the two modifier modes could interfere with each other?

I think there's just something that I'm missing about the difference between modifier and normal modes that you seem to understand better. Would you mind elaborating?
    Last edited by mu7efcer; 03/24/2011 at 12:40 AM.
    Twitter: dullgeek
  4.    #204  
    I think I used to have the Wifi spinning wheel of doom problem as well and I can't remember how I fixed it. I'm pretty sure it was either removing a patch, reinstalling mode switcher or deleting and resetting all my modes that did the trick.

A modifier mode simply modifies a normal mode. So you can have one modifier mode and one normal mode triggered at the same time but you cant have multiple normal or modifier modes triggered at the same time. They end up overwriting each others settings if you try. They cannot coexist together.

I agree with the whole synergy draining your battery. It is why I created this mode. Even Wifi can drain your battery fast if you are not charging your phone while your connected to a hotspot. Before I would get home with 50% battery and sometimes forget to put my phone on the touchstone and within an hour and a half my phone would be dead. But if I kept wifi off it would drop to like 42%.

What someone really needs to do is create a patch or script that closes all ports in the firewall except port 80 to allow only web browsing and every hour or so open up the ports for Synergy to sync. That way no need use mode switcher to start and stop the data connection, which can take a few seconds and get buggy occasionally.
    Last edited by drahgon; 03/24/2011 at 08:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by drahgon View Post
    you cant have multiple normal or modifier modes triggered at the same time.
    I think that mode switcher enforces the inability to have more than one normal mode triggered at the same time. But there is no such enforcement of modifier modes.
    They end up overwriting each others settings if you try. They cannot coexist together.
    Are you saying that in your experience, multiple modifier modes will overwrite each other's settings? E.g. if I set wifi to on in one modifier mode, and "do not set" in another modifier mode, they'll still end up overwriting each other's settings?

I guess what I'm asking is if you are saying that this is a mode switcher bug or if this is the way it's *supposed* to work. Because the way I read the MS docs, we're supposed to be able to configure multiple modifier modes. Do you read them differently or does MS have a bug?
    Before I would get home with 50% battery and sometimes forget to put my phone on the touchstone and within an hour and a half my phone would be dead. But if I kept wifi off it would drop to like 42%.
    I'm curious as to how many synergy type things you have configured on your phone. I know that I have a lot. I have 4 email accounts and probably 12 total calendars. So I have a *LOT* of synergy syncing going on. And I'm pretty sure that's why my battery gets killed when data is on constantly.
    What someone really needs to do is create a patch or script that closes all ports in the firewall except port 80 to allow only web browsing and every hour or so open up the ports for Synergy to sync.
    I don't like that solution. I have two preferences, both of which are in HP's court:
    1. Give us better control over both EVDO and wifi data built in. Sleep mode on wifi is almost perfect. It's incredibly fast. I just wish it had a setting to never sleep while charging. And I'd like the same sleep control on the EVDO radio in addition wifi.
    2. Give us better control over synergy's schedule
    Frankly, I think #1 is much better because it could control *all* background data usage. But either of those obviate the need for the mode switcher solution, which I agree is slow and occasionally buggy.
    Last edited by mu7efcer; 04/05/2011 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Fixed typo
    For those on webOS 2.1, the release of Mode Switcher 2.x means that we can use this tweak to conserve battery. The good news is that MS2.x is a lot faster than 1.x and it's allowed me to dramatically simplify my "data on demand" mode. I now have 3 trigger groups:

Group 1:
    Display State Trigger, State = Unlocked
    Wifi Network Trigger, State = Disconnected
    Battery Level Trigger, High Limit = 100%, Low Limit = 30%

Group 2:
    Charger Event Trigger, Charger = touchstone, Orientation = Any
    Charger Event Trigger, Charger = USB Charger
    Charger Event Trigger, Charger = Wall Charger

Group 3:
    Application Trigger, State = On Foreground, Application = NASCAR
    Application Trigger, State = On Foreground, Application = Pandora
    Application Trigger, State = On Foreground, Application = TuneIn by RadioTime
    Battery Level Trigger, High Limit = 100%, Low Limit = 30%

Basically, the logic of my trigger groups is this:
    • Turn data on when the screen is unlocked, otherwise turn it off. But make exceptions for any apps that do streaming. If they're running, then leave data on.
    • Turn data on when charging.
    • If the battery is below 30% disable data

I have an additional static setting (not managed by MS) where I disconnect wifi when the phone is sleeping. So when I unlock my phone and I'm in range of a wifi router, wifi comes up and connects. If I'm out of range of my router, EVDO comes up and connects.

This isn't as battery efficient as draghon's original configuration. But it draws a nice middle ground between saving battery and making the user experience of the phone closer to what it's like when you leave data on all the time. With draghon's configuration, I would frequently get an issue where an application started, saw that data wasn't available, and then would quit before the data connection was established. (This happened a lot with Pandora.) But with this, by the time Pandora has started, the data connection has long been established from when I unlocked the phone. Anyway, it's working pretty well for me, and thought I'd share.
    Last edited by mu7efcer; 04/20/2011 at 11:59 AM.
  7.    #207  
    @mu7efcer. Thanks for the configuration suggestion. I have to yet to really play with the 2.0 version of mode switcher, but I hear it works much better.

Also I flirted with the idea of having the data turn on when screen turns on but when I do things such as play game, where the screen is on but I do not need data this was a huge drain.

I hate the bug you described very annoying but I prefer it over less battery life. However if someone hardly plays games or reads e-books etc. your configuration would be on par with mine in terms of drain and without the dreaded bug!
    It's a tradeoff that works for me. May not work for everyone.
    Yes 2.0 is much faster. I have my data on demand setup and when I take my Pre off the charger at 5am by around 5pm I am still at 75%. Maybe adding a mode that when you are playing a game it turns data off whether screen is on or off will meet your needs drahgon.
    I haven't read every post but did a search and nothing came up.

Is anyone else having problems with bluetooth not working since installing this?

I have a VZW Pre+ and BT won't turn on unless I reset my phone right before I use it every time. It just stays at the point of 'Turning On.'

Love how this works for everything else!
    Quote Originally Posted by iowahawk19 View Post
    I haven't read every post but did a search and nothing came up.

Is anyone else having problems with bluetooth not working since installing this?

I have a VZW Pre+ and BT won't turn on unless I reset my phone right before I use it every time. It just stays at the point of 'Turning On.'

Love how this works for everything else!
    You should post your problem related to MS in the official Mode Switcher thread so it can be seen by Sconix. This thread is for a battery saving setup using MS.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    Quote Originally Posted by iowahawk19 View Post

Hmmm... That's an odd problem. I don't recall reading anyone else who had this problem.

If you uninstall mode switcher, does the problem persist? If so, have you tried doctoring the phone to see if the problem persists after that? If it does, then I suspect you have a problem unrelated to Data on Demand and Mode Switcher.
    I think I may have figured it out! I needed to edit the 'Defalt Mode' so BT was enabled. Simple I know. I just needed to play around more.

-Sorry if I posted this in the wrong thread-

More on topic. How much power savings will I get from making my phone switch to 2G when the display sleeps? Will I lose everything gained by the mode switching back and forth?

Thanks!
    I don't know the answer to that. What I'd do to find out, though, is test. First, download battery monitor. Then for at least a couple of days use the stock data settings (e.g. 3G is on all the time whenever it's available). And use your phone like you normally would, without putting it on a charger until you need to. Right before you do charge it, look at the drain per hour (dph). This will be your baseline.

Once you've got that, do the same thing all over again, except make the change that you want to test. For example, put the mode switcher setup that you want. Then test that for a couple of days. Looking at the dph will tell you how much impact the change has on your battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by drahgon View Post
    I included the exported modes here for download(in the first post). After installing these you still however need to follow steps 1-6 for this to work correctly.

Let me know if you have any issues.
    Hi,

I'm trying the import, which worked fine. But, when I try steps one 1-6, I get as far as "add settings" but my screen grays out, and a blank, unmarked space appears in the middle. No option to click "connections" ever shows up. Any ideas?

Thanks!
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
  16.    #216  
    Thats odd. I'm not sure what that is. maybe reinstall mode switcher?
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    Hi,

I'm trying the import, which worked fine. But, when I try steps one 1-6, I get as far as "add settings" but my screen grays out, and a blank, unmarked space appears in the middle. No option to click "connections" ever shows up. Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Just to be clear, but are you using MS 1.x or 2.x? And what version of webOS?

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    For those on webOS 2.1, the release of Mode Switcher 2.x means that we can use this tweak to conserve battery. The good news is that MS2.x is a lot faster than 1.x and it's allowed me to dramatically simplify my "data on demand" mode.
    This sounds interesting. Might give it a try.

One question: What do you mean by "an additional static setting (not managed by MS)"?
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Yes 2.0 is much faster. I have my data on demand setup and when I take my Pre off the charger at 5am by around 5pm I am still at 75%. Maybe adding a mode that when you are playing a game it turns data off whether screen is on or off will meet your needs drahgon.
    Do drahgon's exported configs work as is with 2.0, or do they need changes to be compatible?
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    Do drahgon's exported configs work as is with 2.0, or do they need changes to be compatible?
    If the modes were exported in the 1.x format, Sconix has said that they won't import or work under 2.x correctly, because the app has changed so much between versions.

MS 2.x is way more powerful than 1.x and many, many things (see changelog on wiki) have been changed for 2.x including the most recent updates (2.1.1+).

It is highly recommended to just create them from scratch as so much has changed from 1.x
    Last edited by oakridge outdoors; 05/10/2011 at 10:38 AM.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast