Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    so if i leave charger, wifi or battery trigger off of the application group screen will this still be beneficial? I thought the trigger activated with anyitem grouped and thought that meant as long as one event in the group was active it would trigger the mode. So i need to add a wifi, battery and display state for each group correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by palmuse View Post
    Below is a modification of drahgon's original data on demand mode. It adds the following:

1) a check for Wifi being disconnected (meaning it is not connected to any network or hotspot) for all trigger groups - when Wifi IS connected to a network, the data radio stays off (you do not need both unless the Wifi is weak and drops out)

2) a screenstate check to turn off data when the screen is off, the phone is not charging and the specific apps are not in the forground (basically when you are not using it) - when you "wake" the phone for 15 sec, data will turn on - turn off the screen for 15 sec, data turns off - also turns off data when the proximity sensor turns off the screen during a phone call (may keep the phone from getting as warm)

NOTES:
    1) order of the triggers/groups not important (I have six groups here)

2) you can set battery levels to your liking

3) interval trigger can be set to your liking (drahgon had every 2 hours - I may push mine out as well)

[this was all typed on my Pre so no fancy editing - hope it is understandable]

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Mode Name: DataOn
    ** * Mode Type: Modifier
    ** * Auto Start: Immediate
    ** * Auto Close: Immediate

SETTINGS
    Preferences
    ** * Notify: Do Not Set
    ** * Charging: Do Not Set
    System Settings
    (only add these 2 settings groups below)
    ------------------------------------------------
    **Connections
    ** * Phone: Do Not Set
    ** * Data: Enabled
    ** * WiFi: Do Not Set
    ** * Bluetooth: Do Not Set
    ** * GPS: Do Not Set
    **Email
    ** * Alert: Do Not Set
    ** * Get Email: As Items Arrive

APPS
    (do not need to set this section)

TRIGGERS
    Preferences
    ** * Required: Any Grouped
    ** * Block: No Blocking*
    (*not sure if this is important - may be if you have others modes touching data radio)
    Activation Triggers*
    (Group 0 - screenstate trigger)
    ** * Battery Level
    ** * * High Limit: 100
    ** * * Low Limit: 75
    ** * Display State
    ** * * State: Display On
    ** * * Delay: 15
    ** * Wi-Fi Network
    ** * * State: Disconnected
    ** * * Delay: No Delay
    (*this trigger group is not in the original mode description)
    Activation Triggers (1)
    (Group 1 - Touchstone charge trigger)
    ** * Battery Level
    ** * * Low Limit: 50
    ** * Charger Event
    ** * * Charger: Touchstone
    ** * * Orientation: Any
    ** * Wi-Fi Network*
    (*added Wi-fi disconnected check)
    Activation Triggers (2)
    (Group 2 - wall charge trigger)
    ** * Battery Level
    ** * Charger Event
    ** * * Charger: Wall Charger
    ** * Wi-Fi Network*
    Activation Triggers (3)
    (Group 3 - USB charge trigger)
    ** * Battery Level
    ** * Charger Event
    ** * * Charger: USB Charger
    ** * Wi-Fi Network*
    Activation Trigger (4)
    (Group 4 - interval trigger)
    ** * Time Interval
    ** * * Mode: Repeating
    ** * * Active: 5 Minutes
    ** * * Every: 1 Hour*
    ** * Wi-Fi Network*
    Activation Triggers (5)
    (Group 5 -*specific application triggers)
    ** * Application
    ** * * State: Foreground
    ** * * Application: {name}
    ** * * Delay: 60 Seconds*
    (repeat for all applications...)
    (add at any time...)
    ** * Wi-Fi Network*

EDIT: Not sure where the prefix * came from (should be spaces). The items with an ending * are where I changed mind from the original. I tried to explain the chnages as a footnote.
    I notice you don't have a display state on check in all groups is there a particular reason for that?
  3.    #183  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    so if i leave charger, wifi or battery trigger off of the application group screen will this still be beneficial? I thought the trigger activated with anyitem grouped and thought that meant as long as one event in the group was active it would trigger the mode. So i need to add a wifi, battery and display state for each group correct?
    charger definately not and battery and Wifi possibly depending on what you are trying to achieve. If you only want the mode to activate when your in certain battery ranges then a battery trigger is what you need. If you want the mode to turn on only when not connected to wifi then you need a wifi trigger.(this was buggy for me so I dont recommend it).

No. The mode will activate when all triggers in a group are triggered, not just one. However, only one group has to be activated for the mode to turn on.

breakdown:
    wifi disconnected triggers in each group ensure that DoD turns on ONLY when wifi is disconnected

Battery triggers in each group ensure that DoD turns on ONLY when battery level is between Min and Max levels

Charger triggers in each group ensure that DoD turns on ONLY when the pre is charging via a particular method(usb, touchstone or wall)

All three in one group ensures that all three triggers must be satisfied (including any other you might have in that same group) before DoD is activated
  4.    #184  
    I notice you don't have a display state on check in all groups is there a particular reason for that?
    Well I wanted DoD to only turn on when a data app was launched, timer went off, or the phone was charging. Adding a Screen State trigger would turn on DoD anytime the screen was on. That's not what I wanted. Someone(I think Palmuse) in this thread suggested that as an add on for their own personal preference, that is where that came from.
    Quote Originally Posted by drahgon View Post
    If anyone's phone seems a bit sluggish using DOD(Data on demand), like I have, I figured out that using banners and having MS change app setting(like email) really makes your phone slow when using DOD. So I disabled all the banners and took out every setting except connections and my phone is lightning fast. This also makes the data connection turn on very quickly when a trigger is triggered. highly recommend.

Also has anyone else had problems with the timer trigger. It seems to go off randomly sometimes and it will stay triggered much longer than 5 min. Sometimes it will stay on for 20+ min. I ended up removing it.
    Thanks I also thought I read where you recommended taking out the battery triggers due to lag or something like that. I was wrong. Opps.
    Last edited by mamouton; 10/30/2010 at 08:11 PM.
    I included the screenstate trigger in only one group b/c I didn't want it to affect any other groups.

1) If I am charging, I don't care if data stays on when the screen is off. In fact, I likely want it to stay on.

2) If I have an app in the foreground that requires data, I probably do not want data to turn off with the screen. (Example: Streaming music in Pandora) You could split your app triggers into two groups, one data on with screen off (ex. streaming apps) and one for data off with screen off even when app is in the foreground (ex. web pages). This way you could leave a web card open in the foreground but turn the data off when the screen was off. Might be good as I have left my phone with focus on a web card. I might try this.

3) To meet the original purpose of the timer trigger, data should turn on even when the screen is off, but I could see this one changing. I understand that some are having odd behavior with this trigger. Could be replaced with an extended battery range with the screenstate trigger to allow you to turn on data when ever you want to simply by turning on your screen (ex. To manually check email once an hour. I might consider this myself as well (although I do not seem to have the timer issues).

Thanks for asking. Questions always get my mind moving. I am going to try some of these new ideas and see how they work out for me.
    Ok so this is my setup now
    Group 1 (All apps that need internet (Triggers display state on and disconnected from wif)
    Group 2 touchstone charger 60 second delay
    Group 3 usb charger 30 second delay

This should allow me to ensure data is on when the screen is on and I am disconnected form wifi and I am using an app that I have placed in group 1 correct also whenever on a touchstone or connected to a usb charger regardless if an app is being used or not correct?

AAhh! I think I got it now. I was wondering why data on demand was starting and no apps were open. I had a usb charger only trigger and that told the Pre if on the charger turn on data regardless if wifi is on. It makes sense now! Thanks again!
    Last edited by mamouton; 10/30/2010 at 10:35 PM.
  8.    #188  
    Ok so this is my setup now
    Group 1 (All apps that need internet (Triggers display state on and disconnected from wif)
    Group 2 touchstone charger 60 second delay
    Group 3 usb charger 30 second delay

This should allow me to ensure data is on when the screen is on and I am disconnected form wifi and I am using an app that I have placed in group 1 correct also whenever on a touchstone or connected to a usb charger regardless if an app is being used or not correct?

AAhh! I think I got it now. I was wondering why data on demand was starting and no apps were open. I had a usb charger only trigger and that told the Pre if on the charger turn on data regardless if wifi is on. It makes sense now! Thanks again!
    Yup. That should work exactly how you stated. Np.
    so now I wonder if the times I thought data mode was coming on was when it was on touchstone in car and only shut off because I picked it up? Boy I feel like Homer Simpson now Dooh!
    Last edited by mamouton; 03/14/2011 at 12:29 AM.
    Ok. So this is kinda an old thread, but I just discovered it thanks to @NABRIL15.

My question is this, why does the "Data On" mode need to block all other modifier modes? I have a modifier mode that turns the volume down on everything between 1:30am and 5:30am. I'd like to continue to use that mode. What is the consequence of making the blocking on "Data On" to "no blocking"?
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    Ok. So this is kinda an old thread, but I just discovered it thanks to @NABRIL15.

My question is this, why does the "Data On" mode need to block all other modifier modes? I have a modifier mode that turns the volume down on everything between 1:30am and 5:30am. I'd like to continue to use that mode. What is the consequence of making the blocking on "Data On" to "no blocking"?
    I do not have mine set to blocking and it works fine. You do need to be careful that another mode does not modify the same settings though.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmuse View Post
    I do not have mine set to blocking and it works fine. You do need to be careful that another mode does not modify the same settings though.
    OK. Thanks.

Another question: someone else mentioned that in each trigger group, all items in that group have to be true before the trigger applies. Is there an exception for the application trigger? Because I have all my applications triggers in the same group and not all of them have to be open in order for that trigger to apply.
    not all items in a group have to be true to cause the trigger. I have 12 app triggers for the data on mode, and I certainly don't have to run all 12 to trigger data.

Sprint Pre-
    UK Screenstate 500/1ghz
    Mode Switcher--RULES !!!
    Advanced preferences by Sconix
    Lots of patches
    OK. Thanks.

Another question: someone else mentioned that in each trigger group, all items in that group have to be true before the trigger applies. Is there an exception for the application trigger? Because I have all my applications triggers in the same group and not all of them have to be open in order for that trigger to apply.
    I believe that all different types of triggers must be true for that group to be true. So 1 app, time of day, wifi disconnected each need to be true, but multiples of the same trigger, only one needs to be true. Hope this makes sense.
    Ok. Think I understand it. But not certain. If only one of any trigger type is required per group, then why are there 3 seperate groups for the charger trigger? Couldn't you do that with just one group since Touchstone, Wall, and USB are all the same trigger type?
  16.    #196  

Well if you don't block your other modifiers they will override the Data on settings. The right way to do you volume modifier is make it a normal mode that way the Data on won't be affected and you can still change the volume.
  17.    #197  
    Ok. Think I understand it. But not certain. If only one of any trigger type is required per group, then why are there 3 seperate groups for the charger trigger? Couldn't you do that with just one group since Touchstone, Wall, and USB are all the same trigger type?
    No "ALL" unique triggers in a group are required to activate a mode. So 10 app triggers and a power trigger in a group would require any of the app triggers and the power trigger to activate the mode.
    Well if you don't block your other modifiers they will override the Data on settings. The right way to do you volume modifier is make it a normal mode that way the Data on won't be affected and you can still change the volume.
    But if I don't add any of the connection settings to the "+NightQuiet" mode, then it's not going to interfere with "+DataOn" (and vice versa)... right? So in "+NightQuiet" the only settings feature I have is "Sounds". And in "+DataOn" the only settings I have are "Connections". In "Default" mode, I have both set to the default that I want.

Are you saying that when I come out of "+NightQuiet" it's going to go to *all* of the default settings, not just the ones associated with "+NightQuiet"? In my testing, it doesn't seem to do this. Am I just getting lucky?

No "ALL" unique triggers in a group are required to activate a mode. So 10 app triggers and a power trigger in a group would require any of the app triggers and the power trigger to activate the mode.
    Ok. So, I tried putting all of my charger events into a single group along with a battery level event (100%-50%). And it seems to be working. So I guess the answer to my question is that you can do it that way.

Essentially I have 2 trigger groups (in my "+DataOn" mode):

Group 0: a whole bunch of apps
    Group 1: 3 charger events (touchstone, usb, wall charger) & 1 batt level event (100-50%)

Any thoughts on this? Is there something that I'm doing that's going to get me in trouble?
    Last edited by mu7efcer; 03/19/2011 at 03:45 PM.
    I think the different groups were a way to easily organize and when they first started tinkering with mode switcher having them separate let you know where an issue might come up. Thinking about it your setup should be just fine. I am testing sconix 2.0 mode switcher and it is super fast. Much more responsive than his previous one. I still use the data on mode to save my battery but another thing I did was to go to wifi preferences and tell my connection to go to sleep when not needed and i have seen another battery increase. It takes about 5-7 seconds for a connection to wake up via wifi and my data on mode tries to come on first but as soon as wifi is connected data goes back off.
    Ok. So what is the strategy that you guys use for dealing with Wifi? Here's what I want to happen:
    1. At night when I put my pre on the touchstone I want Wifi to turn on so that drPodder can check for and download new podcasts. I've created a modifier mode (+NightWifi) that does this. In order to get the wifi to turn off when this mode ends, I had to disable wifi in default mode.

This works great as long as the phone's wifi sleep settings are set to "Keep Wifi On when phone sleeps". If I don't have this setting, then in the morning, I'll get a notification from drPodder that it didn't download something pending wifi being turned on. (Yes I know I can turn this off in drPodder, but I get poor EVDO signal at home. Realistically wifi is the only way that I can get podcasts to reliably download.)
    2. When my phone is not on a charger and not being used, I want wifi off. When it is being used, I want wifi on. I've tried just about everything in Mode Switcher to make this work, but wifi ends up getting stuck, in either on or off state. And the only thing that I can do is reboot. My solution for this is to ignore wifi in mode switcher and turn it on all the time.

This works really well as long as the phone's wifi sleep settings are set to "Turn Wifi Off when phone sleeps". If I don't have this setting, then my battery life goes back to being close to what it was before using Data on Demand. Why? Because all day, when I'm not using the phone, wifi is on. Which means that either synergy is sucking battery life syncing everything, or wifi is sucking battery trying to find a WAP that it knows and connect to.

So you can see my issue: these two things work well independant of each other but don't work well together.

So my question is this: how are you guys dealing with wifi? I'd really like to use wifi when it's available and have it turn off when I'm not using it to conserve battery. What are you doing to make it work smoothly?
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast