1.    #1  
    Hello all.... I am very excited to be joining the WebOS community. This will be my first WebOS device and from what I've read/heard it should be a very rewarding experience.

I am getting my Pre in 3 days and wanted to ask your opinion as to what are the first 5-10 things I should do to make my experience great right from the start.....OS update, Preware, battery life saving, etc.

Thank in advance
    Once you get preware on, everything else will just flow. Welcome to Pre|Central Forum and the wonderful world of Webos. Make sure you read this: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...e-welcome.html
    Install Preware to your phone.
    Follow all directions for battery saving tips.
    Overclock.
    Browse the App Catalog/Web&Beta feeds/Homebrew feeds/Patches for everything you need. There are lists of favorite patches and stuff. Make sure you look at every single patch they have. Make it fit your needs.
    Convert all your friends to get one, because you'll instantly realize it's the greatest phone ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Definitely Preware and Uberkernel with Govnah!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    I have only had mine for a week but already have over 50 apps/kernels/patches. a pretty good place to start for patches (after Preware, Uberkernel, Govnah) is here:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...iguration.html

but in the end it's all up to you. One universal thing I've learned so far:

I. Stinking. Love. This. Phone.
    Devices used: Palm VIIx - Tungsten T - Tungsten T3 - HP ipaq 4155 - Tungsten T5 - BB 7520 - Treo 650 - Treo 700wx - Treo 755p - Q9c - BB 8130 - Treo 800w - HTC Touch Pro - BB 8330 - BB 8520 - HTC HD2 - Palm Pre
    First thing to tweak is the UI, IMHO.

First, purchase the official app, Launchpoint. This will allow creation of icons in the launcher for speed dialing, texting, and e-mailing (including groups).

Then install Preware and the wonderful "Advanced Configuration for App Launcher" patch. Now you can make your launcher pages look and function just the way you like 'em. The combination of these two features really speeds things up; for example, when I'm driving (with my Jawbone ICON bluetooth earphone), I just swipe up and tap (on my default launcher page) the photo icons of people or groups (and work voicemail with PIN) I often call, text, or e-mail. If I don't tap text or e-mail in 3 seconds (or whatever delay I program including no delay), the phone call is connected.

Also, I'd then tweak the "top bar" patches. And device menus--you MUST have the LED flashlight in your device menu: YOU NEVER HAVE TO YELL "WHERE THE &#^%$ IS THE FLASHLIGHT!" AT THE KIDS AGAIN!

And don't forget the Homebrew app "Mode Switcher" and the new "Music Player (Remix) 2.0! Or signing up for an online "YouMail" account to use it's phone app companion "YouView" for voicemail and greetings heaven.

And then there's the 101 available Fart apps.....but I digress....

EDIT: Make sure you go to ehehat's great thread in the above post! Just found out the LED Flashlight app has greater brightness than the device menu version--great to have both, as he says!
    Last edited by Pre in MN; 09/11/2010 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Read ehehat's thread
    Welcome! You are in for some fun times and the ride of your life...
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre in MN View Post
    First thing to tweak is the UI, IMHO.

First, purchase the official app, Launchpoint. This will allow creation of icons in the launcher for speed dialing, texting, and e-mailing (including groups).

Then install Preware and the wonderful "Advanced Configuration for App Launcher" patch. Now you can make your launcher pages look and function just the way you like 'em. The combination of these two features really speeds things up; for example, when I'm driving (with my Jawbone ICON bluetooth earphone), I just swipe up and tap (on my default launcher page) the photo icons of people or groups (and work voicemail with PIN) I often call, text, or e-mail. If I don't tap text or e-mail in 3 seconds (or whatever delay I program including no delay), the phone call is connected.

Also, I'd then tweak the "top bar" patches. And device menus--you MUST have the LED flashlight in your device menu: YOU NEVER HAVE TO YELL "WHERE THE &#^%$ IS THE FLASHLIGHT!" AT THE KIDS AGAIN!

And don't forget the Homebrew app "Mode Switcher" and the new "Music Player (Remix) 2.0! Or signing up for an online "YouMail" account to use it's phone app companion "YouView" for voicemail and greetings heaven.

And then there's the 101 available Fart apps.....but I digress....

EDIT: Make sure you go to ehehat's great thread in the above post! Just found out the LED Flashlight app has greater brightness than the device menu version--great to have both, as he says!

Thanks so much for the handy tips. It is still a little puzzling to me now, but in general, the usefulness and importance is overwhelming. Very much thanks again and good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by rafalc View Post
    Hello all.... I am very excited to be joining the WebOS community. This will be my first WebOS device and from what I've read/heard it should be a very rewarding experience.

I am getting my Pre in 3 days and wanted to ask your opinion as to what are the first 5-10 things I should do to make my experience great right from the start.....OS update, Preware, battery life saving, etc.

Thank in advance
    Even though its for strictly visual appeal, you should ABSOLUTELY install the 'glass effect' patch. The default grey is just an eyesore. There are two or three variations of glass effect available in Preware. Check the following thread.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...-launcher.html