1.    #1  
    I've seen several posts which suggest turning your email to "As It Arrives" in order to help extend battery life.

How can this possibly be correct? It seems to me that this would be the LEAST beneficial to battery life, as it would have to constantly be checking to see if new stuff has arrived. It's not as if your email server somehow magically pushes the email onto the phone right? The Pre has to turn on one radio or another and check for it, does it not?
    Doug "Doberman" Hillman

If you can't be a good example then at least try to be a horrible reminder.
    It helps most the time.

As arrives will push email to you when you get it, so for people who have a few emails (say 10 a day) this saves battery as it only pushes IF something comes in.

On a timer will check for email...EVEN IF you dont have any...thus wasting a data send for nothing.

If you have a bunch of email (1 a minute) it might be wiser on your battery to check once every 30min or so as you will always have something, and it is not constant getting a data connection.

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
  3.    #3  
    What pushes it? How does the phone recieve this push? How does the phone know to turn on the radio and get the email? Does the phone NOT have to turn on the radio in order to know that there is mail waiting?

If someone can actually describe to me the physical steps that have to happen in order for my phone to know that it has email, maybe there's something in there that'll convince me that this is actually BETTER for battery life.

As it stands, the way I understand how this works is that the phone will have to constantly be making a connection to know whether or not there's mail on the server. It's CONSTANTLY looking for that notification from the server that there's mail. It's got to do that SOMEHOW. And, unless it's telepathic, that somehow is by radio signal from the phone radio.

Someone explain the technical details of how I'm incorrect please.
    Doug "Doberman" Hillman

If the Email server truly supports Push it will save battery because it won't check a server for updates, instead it will sit and wait for a certain packet from the server before requesting the email.

If the server doesn't truly support Push your right, it would have to constantly ask the server if there are new emails.

Leaving a port open to do nothing until something arrives should be considered a negligible consumption, as compared to an actual request/response.

I do not know if yahoo or gmail really support Push or how this is don't on the Pre, but if it is supported it would save battery life for someone who receives less emails than increments of query, assuming 3g service is always enabled in both situations.

Here's the basic gist of the push logic:
    1.) Client tells server it wants to be alerted of new emails.
    2.) X amount of time passes
    3.) Server receives message, sends alert to registered client
    4.) Client requests full email

During the passage of time the client doesn't do anything, requiring no more battery use.
    I don't know about yahoo, but yes, gmail does support push using IMAP!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  6.    #7  
    So the server is (in very basic layman's terms) calling my phone and telling it that there's mail to pick up?
    Doug "Doberman" Hillman

Exactly, and it helps alot with gmail as long as you don't get emails on a 2-minute basis.
    (If you get several hundred mails per day it can be more efficient to download them in bulks by checking in intervals)