Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    When I was getting ready to go to Bumbershoot, I knew I'd be out all day, since it runs 11am to 11pm each day and I wouldn't have a lot of time and chances to charge. I charged up my spare batteries and then popped on here to double check all the battery life tips.

The first day, I basically used all the tips and turned off everything except for data and 3G. My email is set to 'as it arrives.' I left my house at 9:30am, was back by 10pm and still barely made it. Had about 30% left on my last batt, when I got home.

The next day, I was planning to stay several hours later, to catch Weezer, the last show of the evening. I decided I needed a new tactic. So, this day, I tried turning my data off, since I could still get texts and phone calls. I only turned it on, once in awhile, to check for new emails. This worked perfectly! I only drained one battery and still had over 50% left one the second, when I arrived home!

This may not be ideal for everyone, it depends on your usage and situation, but when you're like me and out to have fun, so most people have been instructed not to bother you, anyway, it does work very well!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    In fact, with data off I can squeeze more than 24 hours with just calls and several sms, but the problem is that most of us love to be online, with the phone checking emails all the time, connected to fb, etc, etc.

But yes, whenever I need battery I just turn off data
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
  3.    #3  
    LOL! When I am off roaming, I don't want to be connected or botherd that much!
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    Yup. By far, the biggest battery saver (next to putting it in airplane mode or just turning it off) is shutting off data. Highly recommended for long outings away from power sources where you won't be needing the "smart" or cloud-based functions of your phone anyway. You can get an insane amount of life out of the battery this way, even with some calls and texting.

One possible drawback: with data off, you won't receive any MMS messages. They're not lost forever, but you won't get them, or any notification of their presence, until you turn data back on. Not usually a problem, but there are some people who send non-frivolous text messages and attach a pic...these become MMS messages, of course, and you won't get them without the data radio on.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    op, it still sounds like your idle battery drain isn't so good. I would check it with battery monitor that's it not higher than 3%.

on long 12 hr days with no charge, I put my phone in 1x mode and still get by with medium use on only one battery. 1x mode is 2g so I could still surf the web, get email and use other data aps. With data off and little use, you should be able to go for days on one battery.
  6.    #6  
    I also wasn't concerned about not getting MMS messages.

And spare, why on earth would I want to go days without my data on? I was talking hours here! I'm also certainly not going to drop to 1X, that makes no sense. I expect some battery drain with as much as I use my phone, that is why I have spare batteries. If I was always going to keep that stuff turned off, then why should I even bother to own a smart phone?
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    I'm saying you should be able to go days without data, but your post said you still had to swap batteries.

I prefer to go 1x than have data off but that's my preference. Just offering another option.
  8.    #8  
    You're offering ideas, after I already solved the problem to my satisfaction. My normal battery life is no different from most other people with the Pre.
  9.    #9  
    And if you read my post, the major battery drain was on the first day where I had left data on the entire day, I said I turned it off for most of the next day.
    Im new here and just got a Pre last Saturday from HP. How do you change the settings for when the phone retrieves new updates on email, Facebook, etc.?
  11.    #11  
    Hi! And welcome to PreCentral, nice to have you!

You'd change those in each indiviual app. In the FB app, click the top right hand corner and use Accounts/Preferences.

Same for email, but you select and set it for each individual account that will be listed when you scroll down.

If you have anymore questions, just feel free to ask!
    Thanks a lot!
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    You're offering ideas, after I already solved the problem to my satisfaction. My normal battery life is no different from most other people with the Pre.
    If you are satisfied with your results, that is great. I think the point of having these forums is to hear all ideas. "Spare" offered a good alternative to completely shutting down data and still accomplishing battery savings. I don't think he/she was trying to derail your original post,but rather, add to it. That's a good thing. I learned something from both of you.
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Take a deep breath, guy. It's a discussion forum. We're discussing.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I got back from an over-night trip to NYC yesterday (spent some money on my girl for her birthday). Started mid-morning with a full charge. Throughout the day had the GPS going (in pedestrian mode) on and off all day, minimal phone calls, a few texts and many photos.

What I did was minimize screen brightness, turned off WiFi, and turned off GPS when not in use. I also had Govnah set to 250/500Mhz screenstate. By the time we got on the train for home late that night (9:00ish) I still had some juice left for Angry Birds. But the one thing that kept me from worrying about the battery life was that I had a fully charged spare, which I ended up using mid trip on the train. I thank Palm for not imitating Apple in regards to swapping batteries (or lack there-of).
    Last edited by RafRol; 09/11/2010 at 03:24 PM.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
  16.    #16  
    Yes, I agree, the ability to swap batteries is a great feature to have and comes in handy!
    Ver, you and I use our phones very similairly I noticed. Based on your op
    I too have recently jumped on board the turn data off and use it sparingly when needed flight. A few days ago to be exact. Works like a charm.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

"Keeping the smart phone world at peace one PALM at a time"

Me and Dropbox, sitting in a tree. S-Y-N-C-I-N-G. http://db.tt/qetBsiR
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by RoLLEmUp View Post
    Ver, you and I use our phones very similairly I noticed. Based on your op
    I too have recently jumped on board the turn data off and use it sparingly when needed flight. A few days ago to be exact. Works like a charm.
    Ummm...no, normally my data is always on. I was just away those days, at Seattle Center and needed to get more battery life.
    I agree Verwon, I went to Philadelphia yesterday, turned data off (first time I've tried this) and had enough battery to be out sightseeing from 10 till about 5, left at 5 with 75% battery left....amazed at how much battery drain data connection takes, even in a good signal area...
    "The union forces me to allow you to go to lunch in spite of the way you've played. Those of you with consciences will not be able to eat. And those of you whose consciences match your talents... go stuff yourselves. I hope you choke".....Maestro, The Money Pit
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by vbockius View Post
    I agree Verwon, I went to Philadelphia yesterday, turned data off (first time I've tried this) and had enough battery to be out sightseeing from 10 till about 5, left at 5 with 75% battery left....amazed at how much battery drain data connection takes, even in a good signal area...
    It drains it very badly! I was in downtown Seattle, which has 4G from Sprint, so never had a reception problem, just the data chewed it, until I turned it off and only used it as needed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast