Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I have just begun carrying around a spare battery in lieu of being tethered to a charger 1-2 times a day. Here's to hoping none of these tactics will be necessary with the next hardware.
    We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Ummm...no, normally my data is always on. I was just away those days, at Seattle Center and needed to get more battery life.
    Yupp, same. Except I wasn't at the Seattle Center. I meant it in the same way you use it when you need extra battery Ver.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

"Keeping the smart phone world at peace one PALM at a time"

Me and Dropbox, sitting in a tree. S-Y-N-C-I-N-G. http://db.tt/qetBsiR
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by RoLLEmUp View Post
    Yupp, same. Except I wasn't at the Seattle Center. I meant it in the same way you use it when you need extra battery Ver.
    Those days it doesn't bother me to turn it off, because there are only certain people that are allowed to reach me, then, anyway!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Godstyle View Post
    I have just begun carrying around a spare battery in lieu of being tethered to a charger 1-2 times a day. Here's to hoping none of these tactics will be necessary with the next hardware.
    I have 2 spare batteries!
    how exactly are you turning just data off but leaving phone on. The only thing I thought you could do is airplane mode? What am I missing here?
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    how exactly are you turning just data off but leaving phone on. The only thing I thought you could do is airplane mode? What am I missing here?
    It can be done and many people have patches installed that add it to the right drop down menu to make it even easier, then you can just toggle it, on or off, depending on your needs.

Do you have Preware?
    I went to NY not too long ago and I did the same thing and also wrote a post about it. My battery lasted all day Even playing games. It was great. I Actually created an awesome mode switcher profile that allows you to keep your data on when you need it, but saves tons of battery. I'm about to write up a post on how it works. Try it out.
    Ok my write up is done here is the link. Test it out. It works great.
    http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...60#post2657860
  9.    #29  
    Great idea, I'm sure it will help many.

I actually don't use mode switcher, I'm rarely out often enough to need to worry about battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    It drains it very badly! I was in downtown Seattle, which has 4G from Sprint, so never had a reception problem, just the data chewed it, until I turned it off and only used it as needed.
    I bet that 4G worked really well for you on the Pre.

I'm not one to go to such drastic measures as to turn data off but I did such a thing the other day because I was in a weak roaming area (only 0-1 bars for Verizon) and needed just cell service. It's not like data would work worth a damn anyway at 1 bar of 1x roaming. I found that turning it off, with less than 40% battery and an overclocked pre (250/800) I still got an extra 7-8 hours standby with minimal calling before my phone shut down.
    If you never have to worry about battery life why have two batteries? Whatever the reason this mode switcher profile works in the background optimizing battery life and longevity and once you set it up you just forget about it, it is a permanent solution. You wont even need to switch batteries at all . Unless you are using your phone straight for 5-6 hours playing a game or something.

Also mode switcher has many other uses. For instance I use it in the morning to start all my apps which need to be opened when the phone restarts to work correctly.(ex. Youview and WeatherIcon)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    As Verwon said, you can use a patch to put a data on/off switch on the top bar menu. Otherwise, go to your built-in telephone app. Under "preferences', you should find the data usage on/off switch.

I routinely disable Data when I go to bed, so I won't get bothered by email notifications. I use MS (Mode Switcher) to auto turn off Data when both of the following conditions are true: (1) device on touchstone charger; (2) between 11:00pm and 6:00am.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by drahgon View Post
    If you never have to worry about battery life why have two batteries? Whatever the reason this mode switcher profile works in the background optimizing battery life and longevity and once you set it up you just forget about it, it is a permanent solution. You wont even need to switch batteries at all . Unless you are using your phone straight for 5-6 hours playing a game or something.

Also mode switcher has many other uses. For instance I use it in the morning to start all my apps which need to be opened when the phone restarts to work correctly.(ex. Youview and WeatherIcon)
    I didn't say I never have to worry about it, I just said it's not a frequent occurrence. I am not out, away from home that often. It's only something I do now and then, a special event like this was or traveling.

I also don't have any apps that I need opened on my Pre every morning as soon as I wake up. That's why I don't worry about mode switcher.

I have 3 batteries, because when I am traveling, it can ,ean that I am on very long trips, like from the West Coast to the East Coast.

No need to be so defensive, I said your mode switcher thing was a great idea. Just not something I have a regular need to use.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsyeltzin View Post
    I bet that 4G worked really well for you on the Pre.

I'm not one to go to such drastic measures as to turn data off but I did such a thing the other day because I was in a weak roaming area (only 0-1 bars for Verizon) and needed just cell service. It's not like data would work worth a damn anyway at 1 bar of 1x roaming. I found that turning it off, with less than 40% battery and an overclocked pre (250/800) I still got an extra 7-8 hours standby with minimal calling before my phone shut down.
    Though the Pre can't use the features of the 4G, it does mean great reception.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12