1.    #1  
    Hey guys

Songbird 1.8 was just released for Mac/Windows/Linux, and its works GREAT with the Palm Pre now.

It lets you specify the bitrate and everything when transferring songs to the Pre, or you can even use a sync mode.

Its an excellent replacement for iTunes...so good that I think they should package it with the new devices coming out.

Songbird - Welcome

Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Songbird dropped Linux support months ago, but thanks for the heads up.

Edit: Hey, someone made a deb for Ubuntu.

http://www.4shared.com/get/lBw_ovio/...0C5D851F.dc209

The info is in Spanish, but the app is in English. My battery's calibrating for another hour now, will post about Pre syncing abilities later. My ocd library tendencies sat in yesterday so I've been looking for a good Pre syncing solution for Ubuntu and all the options were kind of busted, so this is timely.
    Last edited by malpha; 09/05/2010 at 07:41 PM.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  3.    #3  
    I know I realized after I posted.

I installed 1.8 in Ubuntu with a binary installer.

No Pre support

So this will only work with Songbird 1.8 on Mac or Windows.
    Looks alot like itunes.. It won't be bundled unless hp snaps up the company. The whole point of buying palm was being independent.
    So Songbird synced the files in my itunes playlist in USB mode...but didn't actually show the playlist in the playlists folder. not helpful for me as I listen based on my playlists, not pick n' choose songs.
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Songbird still doesn't sync for me......I hit sync all music and it says it completed but none of my 8GB of music is moved over and no more storage is used.
    Likewise - is there some kind of addin that's needed? I delete the .ipodcontrol folder but Songbird doesn't seem to transfer any music....
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Has anyone gotten this to sync sucessfully with the pre?
    Ugh...what did Mozilla sell out and clone the UI from crapTunes?? Bah, it doesn't matter cause I use Doubletwist anyway.
    Well, Songbird might work with the Pre. But it doesn't work with a large library with lots of MP3s. So iTunes (for me) is the only practical Music Player with a good library function, even if it doesn't sync with my Pre.
    As a Linux user, I use Banshee (banshee-project.org) for syncing.

It's got no problems with huge libraries.
    Last edited by jaegerc; 09/16/2010 at 03:50 AM.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Media Monkey FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahatma Ganja View Post
    Well, Songbird might work with the Pre. But it doesn't work with a large library with lots of MP3s. So iTunes (for me) is the only practical Music Player with a good library function, even if it doesn't sync with my Pre.
    First off, love your name. Love it.

Secondly, I don't know what you're running, but I've used itunes for years with my ipod, and one of the major reasons I've stopped using it is that it took about two minutes to start up thanks to my 50GB music collection. Now I copy my music over to my phone via USB and use Winamp for on-computer playing. Not only does it start up my whole collection in mere seconds, it also has Milkdrop, which of course is the cornerstone of any good evening, as you yourself well know, Mr. Ganja.

I don't doubt for a second Itunes is zippy on Macs, but that's Apple for you - "look, our products work well if every product you own was manufactured by us. You just have to switch over to Apple for absolutely everything in your life in order to make it work. But it's the other guys' fault that nothing works well with us, not ours. So switch away from them."
    glad to see more linux users here. In the pre to pre+ thread, lots of complaints about having to virtual box linux. Being almost completely on ubuntu (at home at least), the conversion was cake. But back on topic, I use banshee as well.