Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1.    #1  
    Alright I tried doing a search but the threads it brought up weren't exactly of any help. So here's what's up.

    I got a Bell Palm Pre, Upgraded it to 1.4.5. Got Uberkernel and Govnah and is running screen state (500/800), I have some patches installed and everything works peachy.

    However, just yesterday I decided to purchase Angry Birds and while it downloaded and installed properly, the god damn app won't launch. Like the new card will popup and the icon will sit there glowing but it just wont launch. I tried downloading a new app... same thing.

    However, any old games/apps I had bought/installed before upgrading to 1.4.5 work with patches+overclock no problem. I decided to revert back to the original kernel 1.4.5 and it's still being weird. Below are a list of patches I have (Are there any that are known to conflict?)

    15px font
    4x4icons
    character counter
    hide quick launch bar
    timestamps
    video downloads

    Linux apps:
    gnu patch
    lsdiff

    any help would be mad appreciated
  2. #2  
    I have a lot more patches than you, except for the font one, plus Uber and my Angry Birds works fine. Have you restarted the phone? Perhaps tried an EPR or WebOS Repair?
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  3. #3  
    Go to preware and install (ERU) Emergency Reconstruction Utility. Maybe you have some corrupted files, and ERU should fix this issue.

    Good luck.
  4. #4  
    A low memory condition can result in an app failing to launch. Some of the new PDK stuff is more memory intensive, which is more noticeable on the Palm Pre which only gives you 256MB of working memory (the Plus has 512MB).

    The short term fix is to perform a restart.

    By far the best solution is to install Uberkernel. If its better memory management alone doesn't fix the problem for you, try playing around with the Compcache settings.
  5. #5  
    I agree with zParticle, I use Compcache at 32MB and I have had precisely one TMC error since I turned it on.

    Prior to compcache I had to restart Luna before I could play just about any PDK game other than NFSU.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
  6. #6  
    In most cases a Partial reset should fix the issue. Open Device Info > Reset Options > Erase Apps & Data. You will have to login to your Palm Profile again, but this should fix the problem.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan


    Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by RL View Post
    Go to preware and install (ERU) Emergency Reconstruction Utility. Maybe you have some corrupted files, and ERU should fix this issue.

    Good luck.
    Ok, so I installed this from Preware, and still no luck. Enabled Compcache... and the Pre is even faster but still nada. Damn it!

    I've restarted the phone plenty of times and currently have Uberkernel installed.

    The "Erase app + data" option seems a bit extreme since I'm assuming that will flush everything but the default apps and I'll have to re-install everything no? I have a bunch of programs with some important info (such as classic note). Is there a way to back that up?
    Last edited by Fitjerk; 09/04/2010 at 12:54 AM.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitjerk View Post
    Ok, so I installed this from Preware, and still no luck. Enabled Compcache... and the Pre is even faster but still nada. Damn it!

    I've restarted the phone plenty of times and currently have Uberkernel installed.
    Device restart (not just Luna)? Battery pull? Made sure you're not out of space?

    OK, okay, it sounds like something more is going on than the typical resource issues. After doing all of the above, it might be worth identifying exactly which apps still won't start. Remove them, restart, and reinstall them one at a time, testing each time. Apps normally shouldn't conflict, but you never know. Installs do get corrupted occasionally.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fitjerk View Post
    The "Erase app + data" option seems a bit extreme since I'm assuming that will flush everything but the default apps and I'll have to re-install everything no? I have a bunch of programs with some important info (such as classic note). Is there a way to back that up?
    Yes, this is good to be aware of, since the Palm Profile backs up very little in the way of application data. Fortunately, there's the lifesaver utility Save/Restore, which is application specific but does support Classic Note along with a lot of other popular apps. Save/Restore can also back up the state of your patches (recommended that you Update your Saved Package List in Preware first).

    The Pre Backup Utility offers a more general-purpose backup and can help quickly return your Pre to a "known good" state as well as capturing a lot of info that Save/Restore doesn't. You probably wouldn't use it for a full restore in this case, since the point of doing an erase is to take care of problems when your phone isn't in a good state and you're unable to isolate the specific cause.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by zParticle View Post
    Yes, this is good to be aware of, since the Palm Profile backs up very little in the way of application data. Fortunately, there's the lifesaver utility Save/Restore, which is application specific but does support Classic Note along with a lot of other popular apps. Save/Restore can also back up the state of your patches (recommended that you Update your Saved Package List in Preware first).

    The Pre Backup Utility offers a more general-purpose backup and can help quickly return your Pre to a "known good" state as well as capturing a lot of info that Save/Restore doesn't. You probably wouldn't use it for a full restore in this case, since the point of doing an erase is to take care of problems when your phone isn't in a good state and you're unable to isolate the specific cause.
    Alright I got the save/restore app and backed things up... but then when I do the "reset"... will it not delete the save/restore app as well? Rendering all the backups useless?
  10. #10  
    Have you ran Emergency Fstab Fixer via Preware yet?
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitjerk View Post
    Alright I got the save/restore app and backed things up... but then when I do the "reset"... will it not delete the save/restore app as well? Rendering all the backups useless?
    Its backup data is saved to the \saverestore folder of your phone's USB partition, which is left alone for a partial erase but not for a full erase. If in doubt, copy that folder and anything else you can't afford to lose to your desktop first.
  12.    #12  
    ah, perfect. Alright will do all this hoopla and then do a reset and see if it worked.

    Appreciate the help. This issue has been frustrating the hell outta me. All i wanted to do was destroy pig castles.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbycadabby View Post
    Have you ran Emergency Fstab Fixer via Preware yet?
    I have. It didn't do anything unfortunately.
  14. #14  
    Just to say, I am a Bell Palm Pre brotha here and Angry Birds runs fine for me.

    Sorry you are having problems.

    Have you tried deleting Angry Birds and reinstalling it again?

    It wont charge you once you've paid.

    Maybe there was just a glitch when you were downloading that particular day.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Just to say, I am a Bell Palm Pre brotha here and Angry Birds runs fine for me.

    Sorry you are having problems.

    Have you tried deleting Angry Birds and reinstalling it again?

    It wont charge you once you've paid.

    Maybe there was just a glitch when you were downloading that particular day.
    Yep, about 3 times now. Alright so this is effing frustrating as hell. I backed up my old stuff, "reset" the phone as mentioned above and STILL all new apps I download from the app store just flat out refuse to launch (including Angry Birds). Anything from Preware launches fine.

    Seems like my Pre is the only one suffering from this problem? Damn it yo... what the hell is wrong with my stupid phone.
  16. #16  
    My Angry Birds won't launch either. It installs fine but won't run. No errors.

    I just got a replacement phone from Asurion because my old Palm Pre Keyboard stopped working. Angry Birds ran fine on this phone.

    I have the Palm Pre Sprint 1.4.5.
  17.    #17  
    * ISSUE FIXED *

    I had to doctor my damn phone to 1.4.1 then upgrade to 1.4.5 and now apps work. That took wayy too much effort.
  18. #18  
    I fixed mine by un-installing UberKernel. Angry Birds now run fine.

    I re-installed UberKernel and Angry Birds still runs fine.
  19. #19  
    Mine has been having the same problem:
    Could download and install new apps, but
    they would not run. Just glowed when tapped.

    Will try DarkEye's less extreme solution of
    removing UKernel first. Don't want to Doctor!

    1st Step: Removed UberKernel. Reboot.
    2nd Step: Able to launch New Apps!!
    3rd Step: Re-install UberKernel. Reboot.
    4th Step: UberKernel & New Apps still work!!

    Success!!

    Remains to be seen if it is a one-time glitch,
    or if I'll have to do this every time I DL new apps.

    Still better than Doctoring, or Wiping everything!!

    Thanks DarkEye!!
    Last edited by duanedude1; 09/22/2010 at 11:33 AM.
    "Everybody Palm!"

    Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!

Posting Permissions