1.    #1  
    This sounds stupid.... I've been here a while now and sometimes, even when I know exactly what I'm looking for, when I search something I can't find it. I try the normal search (normally completely useless), then I try advanced search and I'm getting about 50% success rate there, then I just start a new thread and 90% of the time, I find what I'm looking for.

For example, I stumbled across the HOW-TO Install Sprint Apps on Bell Pres (or words to that effect) and tried looking for the same thread later.... it took a long time to find it. I even JUST tried typing in "how to" both standard and advanced searches and results = 0.

Just seems weird (maybe I'm missing something) but even when you know what you're looking for, sometimes it's hard to find.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    <<Thread Moved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    You have a point...search could be better.

However, outside of programing issues, there are 2 big user errors that are working against you.

1...Bad (very bad) thread titles...thus search can't work (we mods try and rename as many as we can).

2...To many new theads about similar topics....thus, too many junk resaults.

Like you pointed out #1 relates very close to #2, sort of a catch 22.

There are other factors but those are the biggest issues I see.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 09/02/2010 at 12:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    For example, I stumbled across the HOW-TO Install Sprint Apps on Bell Pres (or words to that seems weird (maybe I'm missing something) but even when you know what you're looking for, sometimes it's hard to find.
    No your not missing anything. The search field/engine doesn't work properly. What you type in looking for, normally shows up on the second or third page. Sometime not at all.

I just use google for what I want. ^_^
    It doesn't help that the vBulletin search engine is notoriously horrible.

Sometimes doing a Google site: search works better, however you are more likely to get some really old results that way and less likely to find brand new threads as they may not have been indexed by Google spiders yet.

Ultimately though, ryleyinstl is correct. More clutter equals worse search results equals more clutter. It's a vicious circle.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Quote Originally Posted by RL View Post
    I just use google for what I want. ^_^
    +1 i go to google type in precentral and what im looking for and i get much better results
    THE CHAMP IS HERE!!
    I had this same problem tonight. I ended up searching my browser history to find the thread I wanted.
    If you know what you're looking for is a sticky, type sticky along with the keyword. Also search in the forum section of the topic your looking for.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Also, there is an option to search thread titles only. Usually helps for me! You can also have results returned by relevancy instead of last posting date.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Try using the Advanced Google search for PreCentral forums:

Here's the link to bookmark (filled in to search these forums)
    Google Advanced Search