Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I upgraded my brother into a VZW Palm Pre Plus a few months ago and I think it is time for him to take the next step. He is very happy with his phone but he doesn't know what he is missing as he runs at 500MHz. So this thread is dedicated to him.

These are precise, step-by-step instructions on how to overclock your Pre using Uberkernel and Govna installed with Preware. Once again, overclocking is not supported by Palm and will void your warranty blah blah blah but every one else is doing it so it's time to have the phone perform as it should and quit whining already and just do it! There has not been a single report of anyone crapping their Pre out from overclocking it. This is completely reversible so if you ever need to have your phone looked at they will not be able to tell that you ever overclocked it.

- Installing Preware

1. From your phone's main menu, type in "upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart", and an icon to enable developer mode will appear. Tap on it.

2. Turn developer mode on by flipping the switch and restart the device when prompted.

3. Download webOS Quickinstall by going to this link:

http://images.precentral.net/sites/p...ickInstall.jar

Save the file in a new directory on your computer that you can easily find.

4. Go to the folder where you saved the file and open it.

You will be prompted to download webOS doctor. Click Yes.

Select your carrier and device and click Start Download.

You will see a progress bar as your download continues.

5. When your download finishes, webOS Quickinstall will launch. Click the blue down arrow.

6. The Ipkg Repository Viewer will pop up. Click the dropdown menu at the top and change the selection to "WebOS-Internals Feed (Pre)" Select the checkbox that says "Preware" and click Download. When the download finishes, click Close.

7. Connect your Pre to your PC using the USB cable. Select "Just Charge" when the USB dialog pops up on your Pre.

8. Click Install on the webOS Quick Install Program on your PC.

- Installing Govnah and Uberkernel

9. Run the Preware app on your phone. It will load feed information for about a minute.

10. Once the program loads all the feeds. Type "Govnah" and hit the Enter key. Tap on Govnah when it shows up on the search results list.

11. Click install. You will see the progress wheel as the program installs. Click Ok when Preware tells you that the Application has finished installing.

12. Perform a back gesture to bring you to the previous screen of search results. Now search for Uberkernel. Select Uberkernel from the list and tap on it.

13. Tap the Install button. When Uberkernel finishes installing, restart your phone.

- Configuring Govnah

14. When phone restarts, launch Govnah.

15. Program will launch. Tap on "I've read this, let's continue.."

16. Tap on the Profile line

17. Select Screenstate 500/800 (This is the default profile that comes programmed into Govnah)

18. Govnah will now show that you are running the Screenstate 500/800 profile, which means that your phone will be running at 800MHz with the screen on and 500MHz when the screen is off.

19. Close the program.

20. Type "upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart" in your main menu, tap the Enable Developer Mode icon. Turn Developer Mode off and Restart your Phone.

Have fun with your newly turbocharged phone!

(Thank you to all the developers who make this process so simple and easy for us!!!)
    Last edited by vasekvi; 08/25/2010 at 11:33 PM. Reason: add disclaimer, truncate steps
    Nice! Like the background too....

-Gu1l7y
    "It is innocent, unless found Gu1l7y.
    Screenstate 500/800 is a default profile in Govnah, so at step 17 you should just be able to select that profile. I wouldn't recommend sending new users into the Advanced Settings screens the first time they open Govnah ...

BTW, if anyone wants to show their appreciation for the developers of UberKernel and Govnah, you can paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org or click on http://bit.ly/webos-internals-donations - it cost money to keep our servers running, and donations are the sole source of funding to do that.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Screenstate 500/800 is a default profile in Govnah, so at step 17 you should just be able to select that profile.
    Doh! I fiddled with Govnah so much that I didn't know what came on it and what I added anymore. I do remember now that this was rolled out in an update. Updating original post now..
    I'm confused as to why installing a kernel voids your warranty? Doesn't *uninstalling* it, or even better - doing a hard reset on your phone get everything back to stock?
    Psalm 11:6
    Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone,
    and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup.
    it doesn't void the warranty. webOSdoctor puts it back to factory fresh.
  7.    #7  
    I am pretty sure if you have any problems with the phone and they see you running 800MHz, they will not honor the warranty. Same as if you modify a car with aftermarket parts. The warranties those parts affect will be voided, but you can always uninstall the parts first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    That's what I thought...but every time I see a 'voided warranty' mentioned, noone ever says that...started to worry a little..
    Psalm 11:6
    Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone,
    and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup.
  9.    #9  
    Hey I am just going by what I read. Obviously I am not worried about my own warranty. I just felt it would be wise to add a disclaimer.

Here are some references:

Palm isn't hot on Pre overclocking, indicates warranties are at risk -- Engadget

Overclocking Palm Pre and Pixi Will Void Warranty Says Palm Phone Reviews

How to overclock a Palm Pre to run at 800MHz (and void your warranty)
    Quote Originally Posted by xBRIMSTON3x View Post
    That's what I thought...but every time I see a 'voided warranty' mentioned, noone ever says that...started to worry a little..
    disclaimers run amok in a world where everyone blames everyone else. ever wonder why it says "do not eat" on the silica packet that comes with electronics?
  11.    #11  
    disclaimers run amok in a world where everyone blames everyone else. ever wonder why it says "do not eat" on the silica packet that comes with electronics?
    Yeah I don't get it either. Those things are great sprinkled over a baked potato.
    It does indeed void your warranty.

Operating the OMAP3430 at frequencies in excess of design limits significantly decreases the lifetime of the device.

Google 'electromigration' for the details.

BTW, Palm receives a report from your phone once a day which says exactly which kernel you have installed ...

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    It does indeed void your warranty.

Operating the OMAP3430 at frequencies in excess of design limits significantly decreases the lifetime of the device.

Google 'electromigration' for the details.

BTW, Palm receives a report from your phone once a day which says exactly which kernel you have installed ...

-- Rod
    ... and here I was just worried about my privacy on Facebook. Next thing I'll know is Palm also allows Big Brother to read my e-mails and check my calendar.
    Wow, im sure that pose took a couple of minutes to put together. Great job!
    I am not certain how many times that rwhitby and a ton of other people all have to repeat that OC'ing voids your warranty! Kind of thought it was obvious, by now. It is only posted IN all the information available on using the kernels!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Ok, may be dumb (or just lazy) but where would one find info about overclocking (1.4.5 sprint)?

thanks
    Search. There is a ton of info on these forums about it. Start with uberkernel.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I hope this doesn't sound bad, but there is already such a thread. I can't give you the URL at the moment, but it should be simple to find in that subforum, or by doing a title search for overclocking for beginners.
    Search for "Overclocking for Dummies" - I think that's the title of the thread.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Just read the first page of this thread and open the links in the first post, everything you need to know to overclocking is in there:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...er-kernel.html
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast