1.    #1  
    I have Avahi installed on my Sprint Pre and it works great. However, even following the instructions on the webos-internals page, it does not start automatically when the device reboots. Since I use Preset Reset to reboot the device every night, that means I need to manually start Avahi every day if I want to use it.

I've created the init.d script and set it chmod 755. I've double-checked the code and it is correct as noted on the page.

I don't even know where to begin debugging this. Any help would be very much appreciated.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    hmm I'm thinking that the Pre doesn't use init.d rc-style scripts but rather event.d upstart-type, so you might want to update your avahi start script to follow the upstart model.

I know I'm not giving you info on how to debug, but I'm thinking "path of least resistance" my help ya more than debug. I don't suppose you're religious about startup mechanisms.
    Palm Pilot -> IBM WorkPad -> Handspring Visor -> Palm VIIx -> Palm T|X -> Palm Pre -> US GSM Palm Pre 2 [shelved] and 16GB HP TouchPad [died] -> (Samsung GNex and 32GB HP Touchpad with CM9)
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by mauro1 View Post
    hmm I'm thinking that the Pre doesn't use init.d rc-style scripts but rather event.d upstart-type, so you might want to update your avahi start script to follow the upstart model.

I know I'm not giving you info on how to debug, but I'm thinking "path of least resistance" my help ya more than debug. I don't suppose you're religious about startup mechanisms.
    I don't care a whit about the mechanism, but there are other init.d scripts that appear to work:

Code:
    palm-webos-device root # ls /opt/etc/init.d
    drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Aug 17 19:17 ./
    drwxr-xr-x   11 root     root         4096 Jul 25 12:40 ../
    lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           30 Aug 17 19:17 K70mysqld -> ../../share/mysql/mysql.server*
    -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         1714 May 13 17:54 S20dbus*
    -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          251 Aug 14 20:05 S60avahi*
    lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           30 Aug 17 19:17 S70mysqld -> ../../share/mysql/mysql.server*
    -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          264 May 16 19:34 S80samba*
    Only the Avahi script does not.

Anyway, do you have a suggestion for where I might look to convert an init.d script to an event.d type?