Page 9 of 68 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 19 59 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    I just realized me and you are both pioneers in the field of hardware modding very good guide... I did the adding wifi to the sprint pixi and you adding pre plus to sprint great minds do think alike hehe keep up the good work...
    Sprint Palm Pre/Verizon Pre Plus On Sprint/Sprint Pixi Hybrid with WIFI
    Quote Originally Posted by NitOxYs View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, I think the Sprint WebOS is designed around 256MB of RAM, and having 512MB is a huge upgrade. This stock Sprint Pre Plus is faster loading apps than the Verizon Pre Plus I was playing with at the store.
    Really? not mine mine blows my sprint pre out of the water def. runs faster set up 100% the way my old one was... I noticed a considerable speed improvement...

Maybe its because display pre did not have much on it?
    Sprint Palm Pre/Verizon Pre Plus On Sprint/Sprint Pixi Hybrid with WIFI
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Hey, silly question that I believe I saw an answer to, but I just wanted to make double certain. I've beaten up my Sprint Pre pretty good. If I wanted to spend a little less cash on just a regular not-so-beaten-up Sprint Pre with a bad ESN, do I still need to meta-doctor, or can I just swap the COM board, doctor, and go from there?
    Quote Originally Posted by irateb View Post
    Hey, silly question that I believe I saw an answer to, but I just wanted to make double certain. I've beaten up my Sprint Pre pretty good. If I wanted to spend a little less cash on just a regular not-so-beaten-up Sprint Pre with a bad ESN, do I still need to meta-doctor, or can I just swap the COM board, doctor, and go from there?
    You'd need to meta doctor to get the tokens to match otherwise the phone won't activate after swapping comm boards.
    I am having a problem with the last software setup step (sharing my doctored files to hostOS folder). My hostOS desktop folder appears empty after the command to send files to hostOS. Anyone have advice?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightburn View Post
    You'd need to meta doctor to get the tokens to match otherwise the phone won't activate after swapping comm boards.
    From the original thread about this.....

Quote Originally Posted by darrenf View Post
    To answer a question that only I have asked it is indeed possible to move a coms board between two Sprint Pres. I didn't move the tokens or do any other programming.
    link to thread,
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2578665
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    From the original thread about this.....

link to thread,
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2578665

not if the ESN is bad ?
    Been asked this question via PM, figured I'd post my answer here. The question was, if the original Pre's screen is broken how to perform the same modification.

Basically, procedure is the same, except the steps initially to extract the tokens, need to add a step before that. Doctor the broken screen unit using Meta-Doctor with BYPASS_FIRST_USE_APP and ENABLE_DEVELOPER_MODE, then use Novacom to extract the tokens as usual.

Also be sure to get the MSL from the the broken unit's carrier (Sprint or Bell), will be needed to activate the Plus, assuming you're transferring the service from another working phone.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    not if the ESN is bad ?

Maybe your right, I missed the ESN part the first time I read that post..... my bad been tired today.
    Alright, I'm having a small issue here with the software side. I'm up through the "make unpack" step, and everything so far has gone ok. Everything seems fine, and I've successfully bypassed start-up app with meta-doctor previously, so I don't think there's a problem with my set-up. Oh, and I'm running in Ubuntu in VirtualBox. But when I run "make unpack", I get this output:

Code:
    Makefile:375: warning: overriding commands for target `build/pre'
    Makefile:340: warning: ignoring old commands for target `build/pre'
    Makefile:375: warning: overriding commands for target `--sprint'
    Makefile:340: warning: ignoring old commands for target `--sprint'
    Makefile:585: warning: overriding commands for target `build/pre'
    Makefile:375: warning: ignoring old commands for target `build/pre'
    Makefile:585: warning: overriding commands for target `--sprint'
    Makefile:375: warning: ignoring old commands for target `--sprint'
    mkdir -p downloads
    Please download the correct version of the webOS Doctor .jar file
    and then move it to downloads/webosdoctorsprint (i.e. the downloads directory that was just created under the current directory).
    make: *** [downloads/webosdoctorsprint] Error 1
    I have the current doctor version in the downloads folder, named webosdoctorp100ewwsprint-1.4.5.jar, but "make unpack" doesn't seem to agree with me on that point.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by pullbangdead; 08/31/2010 at 02:48 AM.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pullbangdead View Post
    Alright, I'm having a small issue here with the software side. I'm up through the "make unpack" step, and everything so far has gone ok. Everything seems fine, and I've successfully bypassed start-up app with meta-doctor previously, so I don't think there's a problem with my set-up. Oh, and I'm running in Ubuntu in VirtualBox. But when I run "make unpack", I get this output:

Code:
    Makefile:375: warning: overriding commands for target `--sprint'
    Makefile:340: warning: ignoring old commands for target `--sprint'
    Makefile:585: warning: overriding commands for target `--sprint'
    Makefile:375: warning: ignoring old commands for target `--sprint'
    mkdir -p downloads
    and then move it to downloads/webosdoctorsprint (i.e. the downloads directory that was just created under the current directory).
    make: *** [downloads/webosdoctorsprint] Error 1
    I have the current doctor version in the downloads folder, named webosdoctorp100ewwsprint-1.4.5.jar, but "make unpack" doesn't seem to agree with me on that point.

Any suggestions?
    ----

i had that same problem... setup linux and it didnt work

what i did was complete this using cygwin and it was way easier

using this guide

Application:MetaDoctor - WebOS Internals

when it came to changing the carrier bypass and model. just uncomment the commands in the default Makefile, ( i opened it with wordpad)

(btw when you use cygwin bash shell you can copy and paste if you right click on window bar ->properties->check box for quick edit mode. *paste by right clicking in the window)
    Running the meta-doctor so graciously provided by Nightburn right now on my brand new pre plus (which I got off ebay with a bad ESN for $80).

Big big thanks to Nightburn for helping me with the software side here. The hardware side really is pretty easy, just listen to the instructions and help provided here in this thread.

I'll post an update later once I've ran the second standard sprint 1.4.5 doctor and let everyone know how things are working....
    Okay, need some help it seems.

After the meta doctor ran, the first use app never ran. My info all seems correct (it had my number, recognized Sprint service, correct model number, etc...) The second standard sprint doctor started to run, gets to like 9% I think, then stops and says "We are unable to reset your phone" and that is it.

I rebooted, tried again, same thing. I booted up, did a full erase, then the first use popped up (with lots of language options) and I logged into my profile just fine. So data clearly works. It rebooted and was starting to sync accounts, so I shut it down, put it back in recovery mode again, ran standard sprint doctor, and it still says its unable to reset my phone. And if I re-run the meta doctor it says the same thing now.

What did I do?
    Okay, guess the 5th time is a charm, doctor is running now, past 22% so who knows, maybe it was just ghosts in the machine.

I'll update when this standard doctor is done, hopefully all will be well.....

Update: Everything is well. Standard sprint doctor ran fine this time, signed into profile, reboot, now all my stuff is being restored. WOOHOO!! Again a HUGE THANKS to Nightburn for helping me get the meta-doctor. Can't wait to put this 512 MB of ram to the test later this afternoon.....
    Last edited by supercluver; 08/31/2010 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Update
    Quote Originally Posted by stoney05 View Post
    ----

i had that same problem... setup linux and it didnt work

what i did was complete this using cygwin and it was way easier

using this guide

Application:MetaDoctor - WebOS Internals

when it came to changing the carrier bypass and model. just uncomment the commands in the default Makefile, ( i opened it with wordpad)

(btw when you use cygwin bash shell you can copy and paste if you right click on window bar ->properties->check box for quick edit mode. *paste by right clicking in the window)
    I'm still getting the exact same error in cygwin, so I must be doing something else wrong. I just can't for the life of me figure out what it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by pullbangdead View Post
    I'm still getting the exact same error in cygwin, so I must be doing something else wrong. I just can't for the life of me figure out what it is.
    I think I may know what your problem is:

In your makefile find these lines:
    Code:
    ifeq (${CARRIER},sprint)
    MODEL = p100eww
    VERSION = 1.4.1.1
    endif
    and change the version to 1.4.5
    I think I may know what your problem is:

In your makefile find these lines:
    Code:
    ifeq (${CARRIER},sprint)
    MODEL = p100eww
    VERSION = 1.4.1.1
    endif
    and change the version to 1.4.5
    Negative, that wasn't the problem, it said 1.4.5 correctly there.

But I magically fixed it, by complete accident

I removed the whole meta-doctor dir and re-cloned it, still had the same problem. But in the process of redoing it again, I messed up in vi, and had to delete line (as in dd) and retype the "CARRIER = sprint" line. Trying it again, I noticed the error message was different:

Code:
    $ make unpack
    mkdir -p downloads
    and then move it to downloads/webosdoctorsprint-.jar (i.e. the downloads directo
    ry that was just created under the current directory).
    make: *** [downloads/webosdoctorsprint-.jar] Error 1
    It was no longer giving me half the warnings! So I went back into the makefile, dd on the "DEVICE = pre" line and retyped it as well, and it magically worked. I'm running it now. That's the weirdest thing I've ever seen, the text was exactly the same, I just retyped it and it worked.

It's all packaged up now, and I'm ready to go except I forget my dang screwdriver at home today. Oh well, that'll be my after supper project tonight. I've already disassembled/reassembled twice now, to test for functionality and make sure I was doing it right, so I should be good to go now.

Woot! I'll finally have a working phone earpiece again and it'll be a Plus on Sprint to boot. The earpiece wasn't enough to get me to do anything by itself since I can use a headset, and I wouldn't have done this just to go from a Pre to another Pre, but the combination makes it worthwhile for me.
    Last edited by pullbangdead; 08/31/2010 at 03:18 PM.
    I reinstalled everything from scratch again last night in ubuntu (virtual box) but don't show any files in my shared hostOS folder and my device (connected via USB) is not recognized by my meta-doctor inside the virtual box. I can run the doctor in the box, but it won't recognize my pre. Triple checked my castle.xml token changes are there, Makefile looks fine, but can't connect to a device. Anyone have a clue? Bueller?
    Last edited by matteebee13; 08/31/2010 at 03:56 PM.
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    Is there a way to reprogram the BATToCH value for the token after it's been doctored?
    Sprint Palm 2 - Developer Mode - 2.1.0
    Okay, so after I finally got everything set up the way I had things I left to drive home. By that point my phone was pretty much dead (I had had it off and on the charger, but off a lot loading things so I wasn't surprised).

I put it on the charger on the way home, and was talking over bluetooth, when I noticed the % charge was lower than earlier. I opened Govnah, and sure enough, the battery current was -20 mA. ***? I took it off, and it went up to a normal -200 to -400 mA. I put it back on, then it went back to -20. So it isn't charging. I plug it directly in, same thing. Its doing the same thing at home, and no matter what I've tried, it won't charge. What the heck?

Its not the battery, it charges fine in my wife's pixi. I did a erase reset now, and logged back into the profile, and still, no charging. Should I run the doctor again? Is it a hardware issue? Could swapping that radio board have somehow screwed up something so that the phone won't fully charge any more? I've never heard of such a problem, what do you guys think? Any advice? I can't take the phone back apart until tomorrow to inspect the hardware as I won't be back in my shop until then....