Page 6 of 68 FirstFirst 12345678910111656 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    This might be a very simple and knucklheaded question but if I wanted to swap COM boards between two palm pre's (sprint -> sprint) is it just a simple task of swaping the boards or does it involve any extra work? Reason I ask is I plan on upgrading my phone to a palm pre plus and my brothers to mine because he has a cracked screen.
    thanks
    Swapping the boards is simple if you know how to deal with tiny electronics and screws. I put my old Sprint board in a new VZW Pre Plus and put the VZW board into my old Pre. Both phones work just fine.

No idea what I'm gonna do with my old Pre with a VZW board in it but hey
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Quote Originally Posted by bodyshop View Post
    sorry if this is off topic Rod, but after having done this, how should we address hardware issues. I mean I see some have keyboard lag (a verizon issue). Should we report & search as a verizon user or as a sprint user? Only asking because alot of times people ask for detail about what carrier you are on first. Being we now would have hybrid phones I was curious.
    That's like asking if Palm will replace the phone after you overclock it beyond limits and blew the CPU - you're on your own. If anything the moment you broke the seal (Palm sticker on the top right screw) the warranty's voided.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightburn View Post
    I don't think anyone can truly answer that question. Most everyone has included all Tokens just to be "safe". Just give it a try, you can always build with meta doctor again to include those tokens if it doesn't work.

Although, my hunch is, you'll be fine not changing those tokens.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2619501

I didn't change them and my Pre Plus works just fine.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    That's like asking if Palm will replace the phone after you overclock it beyond limits and blew the CPU - you're on your own. If anything the moment you broke the seal (Palm sticker on the top right screw) the warranty's voided.
    Ok. If you read the entire post, you will see I'm speaking of posting on precentral not going to sprint. Hint being where I mention I see many asking what carrier you are with. I don't think you could go to sprint with a verizon issue & vice versa. Also I mention search as in searching for threads & post.
    Last edited by bodyshop; 08/22/2010 at 12:13 PM.
    sorry if this is off topic Rod, but after having done this, how should we address hardware issues. I mean I see some have keyboard lag (a verizon issue). Should we report & search as a verizon user or as a sprint user? Only asking because alot of times people ask for detail about what carrier you are on first. Being we now would have hybrid phones I was curious.
    Keyboard lag is not a Verizon only issue anyway.
    sorry if this is off topic Rod, but after having done this, how should we address hardware issues. I mean I see some have keyboard lag (a verizon issue). Should we report & search as a verizon user or as a sprint user? Only asking because alot of times people her ask for detail about what carrier you are on first. Being we now would have hybrid phones I was curious.

I am speaking about posting issues on precentral not going in to a sprint service center.
    When reporting any issues you should give the full pedigree of your phone in detail.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    When reporting any issues you should give the full pedigree of your phone in detail.

-- Rod
    ok Thanks I guess I was looking to deep into the situation, with the swaping of parts.
    Looks like with the pre's the MEID numbers is tied to the radio board opposite of that on the pixi's Before i was able to get my pre plus added to sprint just by getting them to ad my MEID and i doctored it but since that pre was stolen i am having to do this now thanks for the guide hehe as you all prob know i was the one who showed every one how to add wifi to your sprint pixi by doing a radio board swap...

When i installed the version pixi coms board in to the sprint pixi it was on the sprint network already upon first boot. that tells me that the MEID is tied to the main board on the pixi it was just on sprint with the verizon rom. until i doctored it with the sprint rom. Kinda strange how the MEID (number used to activate the phones on the network) On the pre's are tied to the coms board. Wonder why they did it this way?
    Sprint Palm Pre/Verizon Pre Plus On Sprint/Sprint Pixi Hybrid with WIFI
    Not sure why it is, but when i call "make pack" it always calls for the webos 1.4.5 version. it made the file and added the xml to the meta-doctor.

Everything else works.... I tried it with the 1.4.5 version and it all worked out. Now I'd like to do it with the other one but keep running into this wall. I dont know why though.
    Scratch my earlier post.. turns out I did do it correctly.

Thanks everyone for all your help!!!!
    Well i am done got my 2nd pre plus on sprint :P But i went one further and also changed out the slider so it would say sprint instead of Verizon i don't want to advert for them at all First pre plus i was able to get them to ad the esn that one was stolen sent me a pre instead of a plus so i took its radio board went to verizon bought one at no contract price @ 299 and did the switch...

Thank you for this guide i am now no longer scared to cook my own roms
    Last edited by gitit20; 08/25/2010 at 03:23 PM.
    Sprint Palm Pre/Verizon Pre Plus On Sprint/Sprint Pixi Hybrid with WIFI
    Ok having my first problem. I don't know if it's related to this or not but I figured I'd mention it. I just tried getting Angry Birds and got a message on the screen about my OS not supporting this application even though I'm running 1.4.5. At this point I have no idea if this is related to the VWZ - Sprint swap operation or the fact that I'm running an overclock-kernel or something else.

Anyone else have this issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    Ok having my first problem. I don't know if it's related to this or not but I figured I'd mention it. I just tried getting Angry Birds and got a message on the screen about my OS not supporting this application even though I'm running 1.4.5. At this point I have no idea if this is related to the VWZ - Sprint swap operation or the fact that I'm running an overclock-kernel or something else.

Anyone else have this issue?
    I downloaded angry birds on mine. No issues.

Did you ever run Doctor again with a stock sprint 1.4.5 doctor?
    Nightburn yes it was finalized with a stock Sprint WebOS Doctor for 1.4.5.

update: I just doctored it to 1.4.1.1, then ran the OTA to 1.4.5 and now I can finally download Angry Birds.

I have no idea why this happened but for future reference if it happens to anyone else, this fixes it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    If anyone has any spare parts left over after doing this, especially GSM comms boards, please contact me

One note: when putting the keyboard bezel back in place, it's easiest if you slide the two tabs near the middle of the device in from below. Don't try and push them in at their final position - you'll end up with broken tabs.

There's more info on disassembly at http://bit.ly/pre-disassembly

-- Rod
    I was able to successfully mod my Sprint Palm pre with a Verizon Palm Pre Plus.

The toughest part I found to be the above. Getting that darn bezel back into place. Other than that nothing else was too complicated. All of the instructions were great. I do suggest reading them all and completely and run it through your mind a few times. Then take apart and reassemble your Sprint Pre a few times. Doing these things help with reassembly of the Modded Verizon Pre Plus.

Thanks to the OP for posting this.

Mayo
    Is it possible to use the verizon pre plus on sprints network?

<<Mod Edit>>

Yep:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ion-guide.html
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 08/25/2010 at 12:48 PM. Reason: <<Merged Threads>>
    ~Tha 1 n only~

This COG just blessed you
    Get 100,000 Backlinks - Watch the Video Presentation
    I bought a sprint pre with a broken screen, and a pre plus to do the swap with..

I got the phone number for the sprint pre, and activated the esn, but i can't get it to take calls.. The rep told me a code to type in and wanted me to reset it, but i CAN'T USE THE TOUCHSCREEN

This also happened when I tried to activate my brother's Moment. The rep gave me the code to type in, and had me change the phone number and the meid in some sort of manual setup mode. This solved the problem, and the phone could then take calls and connect to data.

Is there a way to change these settings on the pre via usb? I told the rep that my screen was broken, and he told me to take it to the sprint store. I really want this done soon though! Don't want to have to go in there.
    I tried running webOS doctor but it didn't do anything except that now I'm stuck on the language selection screen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by systemshock869; 08/27/2010 at 08:08 AM.
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    I'm doing it now, I'll let you know how the Doctor goes. It was really easy taking it apart, but I had to steal a screw from the sprint phone because the head broke right off in the phone. FML. Do not tighten very much, just a firm tight. Also, I don't see the point in reprogramming the Bluetooth and the Wifi adapters.
    Sprint Palm 2 - Developer Mode - 2.1.0
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    T5 Torque Bit - Model 1416 - Advanced Auto Parts
    My radioshack didn't have jack s***.
    They also have some plastic pry tools there too. Also as my last post said be careful tightening those damn screws.
    Sprint Palm 2 - Developer Mode - 2.1.0