Page 50 of 68 FirstFirst ... 40454647484950515253545560 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1350
Like Tree1Likes
    just did a plus conversion, doctoring now to an original sprint 1.4.5. woohoo thanks a lot!

After using it for a couple of days, ive noticed that this plus keyboard is horrible. Is there any patches to fixed the lagged input or double typed letters?
    Last edited by Trader05; 12/27/2010 at 11:27 AM.
    The Sprint Pre Plus will definetly hold me until a new device is out. Can't wait until we get a kernel.
    I'm building my doctor and getting parts together. I have 1 working Pre minus with a scuffed screen (not active), 1 working Pre minus with no issues (activated), and 2 bad-ESN Verizon Pluses.

My plan is to:
    1) take the board from the scuffed minus, transplant it into the better of the 2 Pluses.
    2) take the board from my nice Pre and put it into the other Plus.
    3) Put the Verizon boards into the 2 minuses
    4) Activate the nice Plus on Sprint, and keep the other as a backup.
    5) Bypass activation on the two Franken-Minuses and give them away as MP3 players / wifi gadgets / 911 dialers.

I've done a practice disassembly, so I think I'm good there. I've built Verizon & Pre metadoctors. I've extracted the tokens using Show Properties on each phone.

Open Questions:
    1) Will I need to install the bad ESN Verizon comm boards into the minuses in order to use them with activation bypassed?
    2) Do I have to swap the antenna wires with the comm boards? Since both the donor and recipient are CDMA, will they be the same length?
    3) Is it ok to start from the not-activated Pre minus? Are there any further activation hurdles coming down the road? I'd rather keep my activated minus out of the picture so I don't have any phone downtime.
    See below:

Quote Originally Posted by dillononthecoast View Post
    Open Questions:
    1) Will I need to install the bad ESN Verizon comm boards into the minuses in order to use them with activation bypassed? Yes, since the comms board is also the battery connector. You need a battery for the Pre to boot.
    2) Do I have to swap the antenna wires with the comm boards? Since both the donor and recipient are CDMA, will they be the same length? No, either one works fine. I actually swapped out my Verizon one and used a Bell one to fix a headphone jack.
    3) Is it ok to start from the not-activated Pre minus? Are there any further activation hurdles coming down the road? I'd rather keep my activated minus out of the picture so I don't have any phone downtime. I started my own conversions back then with broken screen Pres that have been previously activated and doctored. Only difference in the process is that you need to reprogram the phone before you use it / activate it. After you build out the phone it'll be unactivated, just like a Pre out of the box.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    How concerned should I be about step 12?

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ation-etc.html

Do I need to have the MSL & MSID on hand?
    ps i did this once before and have a fully working pre plus on sprint. however, the second one i'm doing I'm trying to bypass activation/first use using the uncomment in the makefile and it isn't working. I get the whole doctor to finish and the pre boots up, asks for language, tells me its activated and wants a damn profile. what did i do wrong. I didn't bother bypassing activation/first use last time because i had all that stuff done. with the second for now i don't want to use the radio. wat gives?
    This isn't going as smoothly as I'd hoped. I got the tokens from Show Properties. It sent me an email with the following token elements:

Code:
    <Section name="tokens" type="token" size="4KB">
        <Val name="BATToCH" value=""/>
        <Val name="BATToRSP" value=""/>
        <Val name="BToADDR" value=""/>
        <Val name="DMCARRIER" value="Sprint"/>
        <Val name="DMCLoAUTHNAME" value=""/>
        <Val name="DMCLoAUTHPW" value=""/>
        <Val name="DMCLoNONCE" value=""/>
        <Val name="DMMODEL" value=""/>
        <Val name="DMSETS" value=""/>
        <Val name="DMSVRoAUTHPW" value=""/>
        <Val name="DMSVRoNONCE" value=""/>
        <Val name="ACCELCAL" value=""/>
        <Val name="HWoRev" value=""/>
        <Val name="KEYoBRD" value=""/>
        <Val name="ModemSN" value=""/>
        <Val name="PN" value=""/>
        <Val name="PRODoID" value=""/>
        <Val name="PalmSN" value=""/>
        <Val name="ProdSN" value=""/>
        <Val name="WIFIoADDR" value=""/>
        <Val name="installer" value="trenchcoat"/>
    </Section>
    I added the
    Code:
    action="overwrite"
    attribute to each of the vals, replaced the old tokens section from castle.xml with the code above, set options in the makefile, built the doctor, and successfully doctored the phone.

However, when I looked at device options, I could see the old carrier and model info for Verizon.

I just double-checked everything and made a new doctor, but I can't get it to successfully doctor the phone. It either disconnects at 4% of just "fails to restart" somewhere around 9%.

It's late now, so I'm going to have to pick this project up tomorrow.
    My metadoctor must be bad. The other doctors I've built (without touching castle.xml) work fine.

I am a bit unclear on which tokens are really needed. I took all the tokens provided by Show Properties on my Sprint donor (listed above).

I see some conflicting advice in this thread about which tokens are required. Did I goof something up there?
    When you run the doctor, use java -jar to run it, then you can see what's happening.

-- Rod
    Hey, good call. I have a stacktrace now that shows an XML parsing error. I'll dig into castle.xml and see what I did wrong ...
    Hey, good call. I have a stacktrace now that shows an XML parsing error. I'll dig into castle.xml and see what I did wrong ...
    Note that Show Properties 0.2.3 fixes a parsing bug in the ACCELCAL token - trenchcoat doesn't like \" for quoting strings, so we now use ' instead.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Ok, that's a good tip. My XML looks valid, but it fails with this error:
    Code:
    [Fatal Error] :23:53: Element type "Val" must be followed by either attribute sp
    ecifications, ">" or "/>".
    I don't have a line number or any other detail. Eyeballing it things look fine, but this is probably an issue with escaping special chars?

I currently have this for the token in question:
    Code:
    <Val name="ACCELCAL" action="overwrite" value="{\"faceup_0\": {\"x\": -341, \"y\": -390, \"z\": -9938}, \"faceup_180\": {\"x\": -183, \"y\": -231, \"z\": -9853}, \"facedown_0\": {\"x\": 0, \"y\": 0, \"z\": 0}, \"facedown_180\": {\"x\": 0, \"y\": 0, \"z\": 0}, \"rightup_0\": {\"x\": 0, \"y\": 0, \"z\": 0}, \"rightup_180\": {\"x\": 0, \"y\": 0, \"z\": 0}, \"leftup_0\": {\"x\": 0, \"y\": 0, \"z\": 0}, \"leftup_180\": {\"x\": 0, \"y\": 0, \"z\": 0}, \"topup_0\": {\"x\": 0, \"y\": 0, \"z\": 0}, \"topup_180\": {\"x\": 0, \"y\": 0, \"z\": 0}, \"bottomup_0\": {\"x\": 0, \"y\": 0, \"z\": 0}, \"bottomup_180\": {\"x\": 0, \"y\": 0, \"z\": 0}}"/>
    I need to remove all the escaped double-quotes with single quotes then? When I get back to my desk I'll give it a try.
    Ok, that's a good tip. My XML looks valid, but it fails with this error:
    Code:
    [Fatal Error] :23:53: Element type "Val" must be followed by either attribute sp
    ecifications, ">" or "/>".
    I don't have a line number or any other detail. Eyeballing it things look fine, but this is probably an issue with escaping special chars?

I currently have this for the token in question:
    Code:
    <Val name="ACCELCAL" action="overwrite" value="{\"faceup_0\": {\"x\": -341, \"y\": -390, \"z\": -9938}, \"faceup_180\": {\"x\": -183, \"y\": -231, \"z\": -9853}, \"facedown_0\": {\"x\": 0, \"y\": 0, \"z\": 0}, \"facedown_180\": {\"x\": 0, \"y\": 0, \"z\": 0}, \"rightup_0\": {\"x\": 0, \"y\": 0, \"z\": 0}, \"rightup_180\": {\"x\": 0, \"y\": 0, \"z\": 0}, \"leftup_0\": {\"x\": 0, \"y\": 0, \"z\": 0}, \"leftup_180\": {\"x\": 0, \"y\": 0, \"z\": 0}, \"topup_0\": {\"x\": 0, \"y\": 0, \"z\": 0}, \"topup_180\": {\"x\": 0, \"y\": 0, \"z\": 0}, \"bottomup_0\": {\"x\": 0, \"y\": 0, \"z\": 0}, \"bottomup_180\": {\"x\": 0, \"y\": 0, \"z\": 0}}"/>
    I need to remove all the escaped double-quotes with single quotes then? When I get back to my desk I'll give it a try.
    Yep, that's the issue. Use Show Properties 0.2.3

Also, the accelerometer is on the OMAP board. Unless you're swapping the OMAP board, you don't want to copy that across. Show Properties has a dedicated option for the subset of tokens for a comms board swap.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    The donor Pre minus is currently in pieces. I am hoping to avoid putting it back together to get Show Properties installed again.

Off the top of your head, are there any other tokens I should omit? Should I just take the ones listed in the OP?

I'm planning to drop:
    Code:
    <Val name="DMSETS" action="overwrite" value="{\"sets\": \"base\"}"/>
    <Val name="HWoRev" action="overwrite" value="A"/>
    <Val name="KEYoBRD" action="overwrite" value="z"/>
    And go with (values removed for posting):
    Code:
    <Section name="tokens" action="overwrite" type="token" size="4KB">
    <Val name="BATToCH" action="overwrite" value=""/>
    <Val name="BATToRSP" action="overwrite" value=""/>
    <Val name="BToADDR" action="overwrite" value=""/>
    <Val name="DMCARRIER" action="overwrite" value="Sprint"/>
    <Val name="DMCLoAUTHNAME" action="overwrite" value=""/>
    <Val name="DMCLoAUTHPW" action="overwrite" value=""/>
    <Val name="DMCLoNONCE" action="overwrite" value=""/>
    <Val name="DMMODEL" action="overwrite" value="P100EWW"/>
    <Val name="DMSVRoAUTHPW" action="overwrite" value=""/>
    <Val name="DMSVRoNONCE" action="overwrite" value=""/>
    <Val name="ModemSN" action="overwrite" value=""/>
    <Val name="PN" action="overwrite" value=""/>
    <Val name="PRODoID" action="overwrite" value="P100EWW"/>
    <Val name="PalmSN" action="overwrite" value=""/>
    <Val name="ProdSN" action="overwrite" value=""/>
    <Val name="WIFIoADDR" action="overwrite" value=""/>
    <Val name="installer" value="trenchcoat"/>
    </Section>
    Last edited by dillononthecoast; 12/29/2010 at 07:55 PM.
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    Accelcal is what was screwing up my metadoctor... I just left it out and everything went smoothly
    Success! Now I just have to activate it. I assume that means the MEI # from the Sprint Pre minus donor ...
    The doctoring went well, and I verified through Device Info that it showed Sprint and the model correctly.

I then activated the Sprint comm board by its hex MEID via the web site. That went swimmingly. I booted the phone. On startup, it claimed to be activated, but couldn't get a data connection to sign into my profile.

I used ##786#, entered my Sprint comm board's MSL (a copy of which is sent to your email address when you first activate the phone - very handy), and saw information from the previous owner listed.

I reset the phone, and I saw it take my phone # / MSID before it rebooted.

On startup, the phone gives activation errors. I've restarted it twice.

Re-attempting activation on the Sprint web site gives me an error about my MEID code not being found.

I then re-performed ##786# to get to Reverse Logistics Support, and I can see the MSID is blank. Curiously, it also says I'm on OS 1.4.1.1, which doesn't make sense as I am pretty sure I started from a 1.4.5 doctor.

Anyhow, the main symptoms are:
    * the phone seems to fail to retain my MSID when it reboots
    * the phone cannot activate once I reset it

I'm going to re-download the 1.4.5 Sprint doctor, and rebuild my meta-doctor's, re-flash a couple times, and report back.

All suggestions are welcome. So close!
    Well, now I have the correct OS at 1.4.5, but it still fails to activate on first use. I tried to reactivate my old Pre, and that failed with an error on the Sprint site. I am now phone-less
    It's been a few days since I successfully completed my swap, but I just wanted to post a quick debrief here for anyone who takes this on in the future... (if you've already done it, please ignore and forgive the long post). If you have not done it, I'd highly recommend it. Like mamouton says, it really does feel like a new phone (plus I have room for a few Mickey Mouse Clubhouse videos now for my 2 year old)!!

First of all, thanks to livinofframen (as well as the guys who did videos) who contributed to the OP (and for posting lessons since then) and to Rod who would be included in the former group, but who also commented a few times in this thread when I hit a couple of small troublespots.... Also thanks to ashi who offered a Plussed Sprint Pre for a very reasonable price even though I passed for the fun of doing it myself.

Anyway, here are my 3-4 things I wish I had known:

• I ran into the (**Still unexplained as far as I know**) error where Angry Birds and some other key apps (even non-PDK apps such as Notes and Done!) were missing from the App Catalog after successfully converting to the Plus and AFTER running the Sprint 1.4.5 WebOS Doctor. As others have noted, another Doctor back to Sprint WebOS 1.4.1.1 and then an OTA update to 1.4.5 fixed this (followed by the FSTAB fix because of using this route to 1.4.5). I'm curious why this happens to some, but not apparently all? Nonetheless it worked. I wonder if I can just WebOS Dr to 1.4.5 going forward (is the error some trigger that's now safely on my USB partition) or if I'll need to go 1.4.1.1 -->1.45 in the future until WebOS 2.0 is released to legacy devices.

• I had to open up my device post-conversion to remove the foam gasket near the top that surrounds the vibration spinner. As Rod correctly pointed out, that foam gasket can come loose and get tangled in the vibration spinner--essentially muffling all vibration. I just re-opened the unit and clipped out the strand of foam that had come loose from the other piece.

• I avoided any volume control bus breakage by just popping out the volume rocker itself (It's not done in either of the videos, but it's easy to do -- just get under it with the pry tool (Ipod repair kit for $3 on amazon) and pry it straight out away from the device. Pop back in by inserting the long pointed end and bending slightly to snap back in place once the two pieces are back together.

• Even though I used a VZW pre+ for my swap, I still kept the Sprint rear housing that holds the CDMA / GPS antenna wires with the Sprint Comm board. I think this is more important if you are swapping from non-CDMA devices, but figured I'd mention it here.

• Finally, while pulling the two connector tabs down towards the keyboard in order to slide them into their position before clicking the rest of the tabs into place, I accidentally pulled it a little too far and dislodged a plastic clip under the keyboard. This caused the slider mechanism to catch and would have been impossible to use (if this happens to you, you'll know it). This was during my 2nd teardown and reassembly, so I was almost beside myself. But I pulled myself together, took out the 4 screws holding the mirror/slider mechanism in place, and slid the dislodged clip back into place. As others note, it's a tricky reassembly to get the screen cables back in place, but it worked. My only advice is to no allow this to happen -- only pull the side clips back just enough in order to get them to slide back into their 'home base' and then taps the rest of the bezel back in place around the keyboard.

• FYI - I used Show Properties 0.2.2. to get the set of Tokens for castle.xml... at the time Show Properties didn't include DMModel so my Pre still partially thought it was a VZW phone and the device was kind of a franken-sprint-vzw Pre (on Sprint Network, but otherwise thinking it was VZW). Accordingly, it would not take the Sprint WebOS Doctor 1.4.5. ***It looks like WebOS Internals has updated Show Properties to now INCLUDE DMMModel in the Comm Board Swap XML extract***. For me (prior to Show Properties being updated), I was able to reboot my old Pre-minus with the VZW comm board in it and run show properties to get the remaining tokens. I just supplemented the Show Properties list with the remaining tokens the OP lists including the wifi and BT mac addresses and the device's Palm Serial Number and built a new Meta-Doctor. Rod and others have indicated that certain tokens are likely not necessary or could possibly cause issues if the Pre- device remains in action (e.g. two devices on the same wifi network with the same MAC address would probably not be good), but I just replaced all of the tokesn since I won't be using that old device. (I imagine show properties now really includes the proper 10 tokens that are needed for a swap, but I can't verify that for certain since I didn't use it.) Also the only other Token that is listed in the original post but not in Show Properties Comms Swap and appears to specifically reference the device model is: <Val name="PRODoID" value="P100EWW"/> Again, I would think this might not be necessary, but it's another key difference between all of the tokens and the ones in Show Properties.

Again, sorry for the length, but I hope these tidbits help anyone else going through this.
    Yeah, PRODoID should be added.

-- Rod