Page 44 of 68 FirstFirst ... 343940414243444546474849 54 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by THAANSA3 View Post
    I asked this question in another thread but didn't receive any replies. To set up the meta doctor as detailed in the link below, do I have to have my phone plugged in? I know it may be a silly question, but it's my silly question.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ation-etc.html
    Yeah, your phone will need to be plugged into your computer via USB to do the doctoring part.
    Quote Originally Posted by ashi View Post
    Yeah, your phone will need to be plugged into your computer via USB to do the doctoring part.
    Thank you, ashi!
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kalex View Post
    Have a question. My situation is as follows:
    I bought Sprint Pre Plus from ebay auction and it came with sprint communication in verizon body but nothing was done from software level. I'm not sure how and if its even possible to pull the tokens from this Hybrid Pre Plus. I also have my old Pre. Can I get tokens from that device? or are they hardware specific?

Can someone point me in the right direction. I don't need detailed steps just need high level steps I need to take.

Thanks

Alex
    Nothing was done from software level? That seems unlikely. Did you get it from Sharabart? That's me. I have sold a few on ebay, and the tokens, com board, and sticker (behind the battery) were all swapped. If it wasn't from me, you can ask the seller to clarify.

If the device is working properly on Sprint, then yes, you can get the tokens and com board from that device, the same way you would get them from a regular Sprint Pre. You could alternatively get the tokens and com board from your old Sprint Pre.

The tokens are saved on the motherboard, but they are specific to the com board.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Hey Ashi. I didn't get it from you. Got it from gazelle-store. Just checked back sticker and it corresponds to the ESN of Sprint Pre. But nothing was done from software level. When I powered it on, It booted to Verizon Rom. Its asking me to activate it and of course it fails because I didn't add it to my account yet. It tries to do OTA programming by calling verizon but when I tried to call customer service it reached Sprint. I can't get further than that for now because it doesn't have "skip first use" option so I can't get past the profile yet. I emailed the seller but haven't heard anything back from them yet.

Alex
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Hey Ashi. I didn't get it from you. Got it from gazelle-store. Just checked back sticker and it corresponds to the ESN of Sprint Pre. But nothing was done from software level. When I powered it on, It booted to Verizon Rom. Its asking me to activate it and of course it fails because I didn't add it to my account yet. It tries to do OTA programming by calling verizon but when I tried to call customer service it reached Sprint. I can't get further than that for now because it doesn't have "skip first use" option so I can't get past the profile yet. I emailed the seller but haven't heard anything back from them yet.

Alex
    Ah okay, sorry. You can try to make a simple Sprint Meta Doctor build that skips first use, or there is a tool that will just change whatever is in there now to skip first use. If you can get into it, you can check the tokens and make sure, for example, that DMCARRIER is Sprint and PalmSN starts with a P5 and not a P7 and matches the one on your sticker.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Yep I guess i have a project ahead of me
    DO you happen to know what tool that is that I can use? I know I can do Sprint Meta doctor one.

One more possibly stupid question
    In order to get to the tokens i'm going to create meta doctor file that "Bypasses First Use app". My question is this do I use verizon pre plus Webos doctor file or Sprint? I'm not sure which one to use. Its a Pre Plus with Sprint communication board. Should I just create a meta doctor file with Remove carrier check, remove model check and bypass first use app and load sprint OS on it? then get the tokens, properly apply them and then flash it again? or should i work of verizon doctor file while doing all this?
    Last edited by kalex; 11/18/2010 at 07:54 AM.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Yep I guess i have a project ahead of me
    DO you happen to know what tool that is that I can use? I know I can do Sprint Meta doctor one.

One more possibly stupid question
    In order to get to the tokens i'm going to create meta doctor file that "Bypasses First Use app". My question is this do I use verizon pre plus Webos doctor file or Sprint? I'm not sure which one to use. Its a Pre Plus with Sprint communication board. Should I just create a meta doctor file with Remove carrier check, remove model check and bypass first use app and load sprint OS on it? then get the tokens, properly apply them and then flash it again? or should i work of verizon doctor file while doing all this?
    Probably the Verizon version... depends on what all they've done to that phone. Here is the link if you just want to use the bypass tool:

Developing on an Unactivated Device - HP Palm Developer Center
    Scroll down to "Running the Activation-Bypass Tool" and download that .jar file and run it, following the instructions on the page there.

Check the DMCARRIER and PalmSN tokens, and we can figure it out from there.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Kalex, I think I figured out what you have. I checked out their auctions for that type of phone, and they say:

This is a Black Palm Pre Plus
    It is only compatible with Sprint/Nextel service.

The ESNs they list are consistent with Verizon ESNs. What they probably did was took Verizon phones with bad ESNs and got Sprint to add the ESNs to their system. I have read somewhere on Precentral of success with getting Sprint to do that if you're lucky, and maybe they have a contact or friend willing to help them add a lot (this part is pure speculation).

I'm guessing though that your hardware and software are completely Verizon. You should be able to Meta doctor a Sprint doctor with:
    BYPASS_FIRST_USE_APP
    REMOVE_CARRIER_CHECK = 1
    REMOVE_MODEL_CHECK = 1
    You would want to change a few of the tokens:
    DMCARRIER, DMMODEL, PRODoID, and maybe a few others. I'll see if I can find more information, and hopefully someone else will chime in too.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Totally forgot about developing on unactivated phone. thats for the reminder

Oh wow thanks ashi for researching this for me. Great help. Thats the auction i got i think. This is the auction I won:
    Palm Pre Plus Sprint Black Cell Phone CDMA NR!

According to this it should be sprint version . I didn't even know that they can get Sprint to add the ESN into their system. So if they did that, auction is a bit misleading on their part.

So once I get into the phone, I will need to get all the tokens. add them to the castle.xml file and then flash it again. after that is done, I should just be able to doctor using original sprint 1.4.5 webos without any modifications?

PS: just dd a chat with sprint and it looks like the ESN is totally not usable. According to sprint its not in the system. so I guess I'll be returning it
    Last edited by kalex; 11/18/2010 at 11:07 AM.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    The tokens come from the motherboard and get written to the motherboard. So don't just get the tokens off of that Pre Plus and write them again--that would just write the same values again.

When you get the tokens off of that Pre Plus, please let me know the DMCARRIER. I'm guessing it will still be Verizon, and you'll want to change that to Sprint and change the DMMODEL and PRODoID to P100EWW, and to leave all of the other tokens alone.

Edit: Here is the original post I was thinking of:

http://bit.ly/adU05n
    Last edited by ashi; 11/18/2010 at 11:11 AM.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    PS: just dd a chat with sprint and it looks like the ESN is totally not usable. According to sprint its not in the system. so I guess I'll be returning it
    Oh! That's no good. Weird. You could still use it by swapping in your old Sprint Pre tokens and com board, following the directions at the beginning of this thread, if you want to.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Yep. I know i can do that. But not sure if i want to actually deal with it Thats why I thought that I will be getting working model. I just got an RMA so I'll be sending it back to them. Thanks again for your help
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    No problem. Let me know if you would like to purchase one of mine.
    I wanted to update everyone on the reverse process after plussing my Sprint Pre.

The process does work in the reverse as others have posted. I took my old release day Pre and installed the AT&T board in it (I could not stand seeing her in pieces). I had copied the tokens from both phones before taking them apart.

Now the update and important point was this phone was unlocked via Nextgen and had ran on AT&T and T-Mobile in my area. I was concerned that it would loose this setting or not connect at all but I am glad to say that everything is working great and I have been able to test it on both T-Mobile and At&T.

I'll be posting pics soon.
    Commodore Pet, Commodore 64&128, Amiga 4000, PC-7, Ubuntu, Treo 650. Treo 755p,Sprint Palm Pre Plus 2.2.4,2 Sprint Pre2 2.2.4, TouchPad 32gig.
    Working on mine. Finishing up the final metadoctor install Approx 5+ hrs so far (because I didn't have Ubuntu).

Hopefully I succeed...IT WORKS! Completed my first phone call. ONly part left now is to now will reinstall with standard sprint doctor.

So far here's what i had (I have moderate linux experience and moderately handy with tools).

1. Developer Pre-Plus AT&T
    2. Old Sprint Pre = nonworking camera, on-off switch and phone headset
    3. Windows 7 64-bit with virtualbox installed

Swapped according to instructions here. DIdn't have a T5 screwdriver but instead used a precision flathead (probably better to have the right tools). (THE GPS wires are popoff which I wasn't sure from the directions). In the prying the backplate part I found that if I pried the right-side (USB side) after removing the 6 screws, I could pry that right side up enough to have the com board drop right out. This made reassembly a snap

Lessons :

0. get the tokens BEFORE you swap. Yep, I jumped the gun and had to revert back and finish. (partly because the hardware part seemed most challenging to me and I was nervous I wouldn't be able to complete it)

1. Tokens = use INternalz and copy the files to /media/internal/ringtones. Then copy via USB mode = so much easier than having to type all those numbers. I created the makefile in Notepad and posted it on the web server that I run and then just simply copied and pasted the makefile contents with the tokens while inside ubuntu (used firefox to copy from my website = I suppose your email could work too)

2. Ubuntu setup. Rather than dynmaic size partiion in VirtualBox i used 8GB fixed (I ran out of space in the dynamic partition and it didn't auto resize it).

3. Wires from the AT&T Pre-plus - is it okay that they loop before connecting to the sprint com? The metal shield tiny piece came loose, I don't see how I can put that in without damaging the AT&T Pre plus wires which are longer (Just will need to be careful when swapping batteries)

4. On the reverse: Old Sprint Pre to AT&T Com board = right now without anything it shows a ? Battery icon. I need to configure a metadoctor and try. Questions: the old GPS wires are too short - is it okay to leave disconnected.
    On the reverse: Old Sprint Pre to AT&T Com board = right now without anything it shows a ? Battery icon. I have the metadoctor ready but can't get past the ? battery icon. Both antenna wires still disconnected.

Any ideas?? (this is going to just the experiment by doing reverse, the actual Sprint Pre Plus is working already)

UPDATE: FIGURED it out = com board wasn't properly seated.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    3. Wires from the AT&T Pre-plus - is it okay that they loop before connecting to the sprint com? The metal shield tiny piece came loose, I don't see how I can put that in without damaging the AT&T Pre plus wires which are longer (Just will need to be careful when swapping batteries)
    The preferred method is to remove the volume button, carefully peel off the part under the button, and swap out that whole piece including the part the wires plug into. Then the wires will fit on both phones.
    Working on mine. Finishing up the final metadoctor install Approx 5+ hrs so far (because I didn't have Ubuntu).

Hopefully I succeed...IT WORKS! Completed my first phone call. ONly part left now is to now will reinstall with standard sprint doctor.

So far here's what i had (I have moderate linux experience and moderately handy with tools).

1. Developer Pre-Plus AT&T
    2. Old Sprint Pre = nonworking camera, on-off switch and phone headset
    3. Windows 7 64-bit with virtualbox installed

Swapped according to instructions here. DIdn't have a T5 screwdriver but instead used a precision flathead (probably better to have the right tools). (THE GPS wires are popoff which I wasn't sure from the directions). In the prying the backplate part I found that if I pried the right-side (USB side) after removing the 6 screws, I could pry that right side up enough to have the com board drop right out. This made reassembly a snap

Lessons :

0. get the tokens BEFORE you swap. Yep, I jumped the gun and had to revert back and finish. (partly because the hardware part seemed most challenging to me and I was nervous I wouldn't be able to complete it)

1. Tokens = use INternalz and copy the files to /media/internal/ringtones. Then copy via USB mode = so much easier than having to type all those numbers. I created the makefile in Notepad and posted it on the web server that I run and then just simply copied and pasted the makefile contents with the tokens while inside ubuntu (used firefox to copy from my website = I suppose your email could work too)

2. Ubuntu setup. Rather than dynmaic size partiion in VirtualBox i used 8GB fixed (I ran out of space in the dynamic partition and it didn't auto resize it).

4. On the reverse: Old Sprint Pre to AT&T Com board = right now without anything it shows a ? Battery icon. I need to configure a metadoctor and try. Questions: the old GPS wires are too short - is it okay to leave disconnected.
    Better lessons (in my opinion):

1) Use Show Properties 0.2.0 to create and email yourself your castle.xml fragment. Archive the email for the future.

2) Swap the whole of the case containing the antennae, then the wires are the right size and the antennae are the right design for the frequencies they are carrying.

The first post should be updated with these things.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Hmm, I hate to reopen it up since it's working well. Calls and signal strength is good as well as GPS. I guess I can attempt it with the antennae swap but was nervous to dismantle the case much more and risk difficulty putting it back together.

1) What's people's experience without an antenna swap?
    2) will the leftover at&t pre-minus get any reception without the antenna corrected?
    actually couldn't fall asleep with it half-done like that so went ahead and swapped the back frame containing the antenna. Carefully pry out along edges. Wasn't too bad but the volume button cable is a little tricky.