Page 43 of 68 FirstFirst ... 33383940414243444546474853 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    If anyone has any spare parts left over after doing this, especially GSM comms boards, please contact me

One note: when putting the keyboard bezel back in place, it's easiest if you slide the two tabs near the middle of the device in from below. Don't try and push them in at their final position - you'll end up with broken tabs.

There's more info on disassembly at How to disassemble & reassemble a Palm Pre - PreCentral Forums

-- Rod
    Rod, are you still looking for GSM boards? If so pm me.
    Commodore Pet, Commodore 64&128, Amiga 4000, PC-7, Ubuntu, Treo 650. Treo 755p,Sprint Palm Pre Plus 2.2.4,2 Sprint Pre2 2.2.4, TouchPad 32gig.
    Well, the doctor is installing on the Sprint Pre +, but I need to figure out the short antena cable thing on the old Pre - with the ATT radio. Can you just leave them unpluged since it won't be on a network? would WiFi still work?

EDIT: I plan to use the ATT Pre- as a dev device/MP3 player.

EDIT 2: The Sprint Pre + seems to be running just fine. It's DL'ing all the apps so I think it's time for me to go to bed and let it do its thing.
    Last edited by sinime; 11/16/2010 at 01:31 AM.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NoLeftHere View Post
    My only concern is the meta doctor, once I get it up and running, I am mostly using it for the makefile right?
    Editing the makefile is one of the steps, but the doctor you'll be running will end up in a directory under builds. I don't know what you mean by "mostly using it for the makefile."
    What I mean is that the doctor has lots of tasks it can preform, for the most part, I will use the doctor for extracting the tokens ,editing the makefile, then patching the makefile when the plus is built. I not using it for the "bypass carrier activation" or "bypass the first use" right?

I'm the bay too, would you be willing to help out over food?
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    Well, the doctor is installing on the Sprint Pre +, but I need to figure out the short antena cable thing on the old Pre - with the ATT radio. Can you just leave them unpluged since it won't be on a network? would WiFi still work?

EDIT: I plan to use the ATT Pre- as a dev device/MP3 player.

EDIT 2: The Sprint Pre + seems to be running just fine. It's DL'ing all the apps so I think it's time for me to go to bed and let it do its thing.
    You should keep the back plastic antenna part with the comms board, and move both as a single unit.

The first post should be updated to say this.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 11/16/2010 at 02:09 PM.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    What I mean is that the doctor has lots of tasks it can preform, for the most part, I will use the doctor for extracting the tokens ,editing the makefile, then patching the makefile when the plus is built. I not using it for the "bypass carrier activation" or "bypass the first use" right?

I'm the bay too, would you be willing to help out over food?
    Those details are in the first post. Don't bypass carrier activation, and bypass first use is optional.

You'll use the meta doctor for writing the tokens, but not for extracting them.

I would be glad to help you over food if you're buying. What area? I work in Foster City and Caltrain to work every weekday except Thursdays, when I drive. I have my tools and my Ubuntu netbook with me here.
    big thanks to ashi for plusing my minus!
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    big thanks to ashi for plusing my minus!
    Anyone else in the Bay Area (or L.A. Thanksgiving Weekend), I will do the same for dinner. Or lunch on the weekend... it takes about 2 hours, so that would be a long lunch away from work!
    You should keep the back plastic antenna part with the comms board, and move both as a single unit.

The first post should be updated to say this.

-- Rod
    Rod,

I have a question regarding tokens on GSM. I've done several comms board swaps between Movistar Pre's, Telcel Pre's and AT&T Pre +'s without worrying about transferring the original tokens.

All of the comms boards were unlocked before being swapped out. Every single one of these GSM devices is functioning perfectly (right now) and the users of these devices are pleased.

Keeping in mind all of the original comms boards were unlocked NA and EU GSM comms boards. Is there anything I need to worry about sideswiping these users in the future since the tokens were not grabbed off of the original devices.

Thanks,
    Barry
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Rod,

I have a question regarding tokens on GSM. I've done several comms board swaps between Movistar Pre's, Telcel Pre's and AT&T Pre +'s without worrying about transferring the original tokens.

All of the comms boards were unlocked before being swapped out. Every single one of these GSM devices is functioning perfectly (right now) and the users of these devices are pleased.

Keeping in mind all of the original comms boards were unlocked NA and EU GSM comms boards. Is there anything I need to worry about sideswiping these users in the future since the tokens were not grabbed off of the original devices.

Thanks,
    Barry
    The IMEI is read from the comms board, so it probably doesn't matter other than for completeness of records.

-- Rod
    The tokens related I think would be the charging tokens (BATT*) and ModemSN.

I know for starters if the BATT* ones aren't transferred correctly charging won't work. Not sure if ModemSN is referenced anywhere.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI… T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    The tokens related I think would be the charging tokens (BATT*) and ModemSN.

I know for starters if the BATT* ones aren't transferred correctly charging won't work. Not sure if ModemSN is referenced anywhere.
    Have we confirmed whether leaving all the BATT* tokens as-is still allows charging?

I suspect it's the incorrect partial transfer some people do which is the source of the problem.

It seems to be a challenge/response system, so one correct pair should be as good as another.

I have not seen ModemSN used anywhere. That's the 'complete records' I'm referring to above.

-- Rod
    Have we confirmed whether leaving all the BATT* tokens as-is still allows charging?

I suspect it's the incorrect partial transfer some people do which is the source of the problem.

It seems to be a challenge/response system, so one correct pair should be as good as another.

I have not seen ModemSN used anywhere. That's the 'complete records' I'm referring to above.

-- Rod
    Actually I think it works.

I dropped in the Verizon Modem into the Bell Pre to use as a charger, I didn't need to reflash. So I guess you're right, those tokens maybe aren't needed.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI… T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

The IMEI is read from the comms board, so it probably doesn't matter other than for completeness of records.

-- Rod
    Thanks Rod,

I neglected one aspect of this process that I'm thinking of resorting to if I run out of patience before the unlocked NA GSM Pre 2 shows its face for sale on Palm or HP's web sites soon.

What I overlooked is OS updating and purchasing apps. The tokens impact updating. None of the folks using the GSM devices I've swapped unlocked boards on really care about that. They just want to use the phone till it falls apart, then get another. They aren't even heavy apps users.

This brings me to reformulate my plan, and ask if you think it's reasonable to expect it to work as described.

Here's my tentative plan. I could have an unlocked EU GSM Pre 2 in my hands within a couple of days, run the Palm bypass activation tool on the preinstalled WebOS 2.0, swap the unlocked NA comm board from my AT&T Pre + into it, then manually add AT&T Navigator and whatever existing apps I have that I feel are worth the hassle for temporary use. I'd be able to use the Pre 2 with 3G data here in the USA on AT&T's network this way without the App catalog or os updates.

When a US Pre 2 doctor comes out, then I flash it using meta doctor, adding the AT&T tokens from the original AT&T Pre Plus to the EU Pre 2 at that time, then run activation with that same unlocked AT&T Pre + comms board and the same AT&T SIM, doing it from the same US location it had been previously activated from I know it doesnt matter, as long as I'm doing it from inside the USA).

In theory it should then look and act like an UNLOCKED NA Pre 2 with app catalogue and OS updating. Is this correct?

That would be my path to a 3G Pre 2 in the USA ..... NOW instead of later.

Any thoughts?

Thanks so much for your time to examine this idea.
    TTB

Apologies to the Sprint CDMA folks for temporarily hijacking this cdma based discussion.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Well it's still modem swap talk... if you put it that way I've been hijacking for the longest time to talk about Bell swaps.

Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Actually I think it works.

I dropped in the Verizon Modem into the Bell Pre to use as a charger, I didn't need to reflash. So I guess you're right, those tokens maybe aren't needed.
    I suspect any set of BATT* tokens will do, as long as they are a matching set.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Thanks Rod,

I neglected one aspect of this process that I'm thinking of resorting to if I run out of patience before the unlocked NA GSM Pre 2 shows its face for sale on Palm or HP's web sites soon.

What I overlooked is OS updating and purchasing apps. The tokens impact updating. None of the folks using the GSM devices I've swapped unlocked boards on really care about that. They just want to use the phone till it falls apart, then get another. They aren't even heavy apps users.

This brings me to reformulate my plan, and ask if you think it's reasonable to expect it to work as described.

Here's my tentative plan. I could have an unlocked EU GSM Pre 2 in my hands within a couple of days, run the Palm bypass activation tool on the preinstalled WebOS 2.0, swap the unlocked NA comm board from my AT&T Pre + into it, then manually add AT&T Navigator and whatever existing apps I have that I feel are worth the hassle for temporary use. I'd be able to use the Pre 2 with 3G data here in the USA on AT&T's network this way without the App catalog or os updates.

When a US Pre 2 doctor comes out, then I flash it using meta doctor, adding the AT&T tokens from the original AT&T Pre Plus to the EU Pre 2 at that time, then run activation with that same unlocked AT&T Pre + comms board and the same AT&T SIM, doing it from the same US location it had been previously activated from I know it doesnt matter, as long as I'm doing it from inside the USA).

In theory it should then look and act like an UNLOCKED NA Pre 2 with app catalogue and OS updating. Is this correct?

That would be my path to a 3G Pre 2 in the USA ..... NOW instead of later.

Any thoughts?
    I suspect it will work, but no-one has tested cross-model updates yet (e.g. will your device get a Pre kernel or a Pre2 kernel in the next update?)

If updating is based on PalmSN or DMMODEL you should be ok. If it is tied to the device record and IMEI you're not.

-- Rod
    I suspect it will work, but no-one has tested cross-model updates yet (e.g. will your device get a Pre kernel or a Pre2 kernel in the next update?)

If updating is based on PalmSN or DMMODEL you should be ok. If it is tied to the device record and IMEI you're not.

-- Rod
    Thanks.

Sounds like reason enough for me to order up some more patience. That's getting difficult as My HP Slate is backordered, and my HP Pre 2 isn't available to order!
    I asked this question in another thread but didn't receive any replies. To set up the meta doctor as detailed in the link below, do I have to have my phone plugged in? I know it may be a silly question, but it's my silly question.

Quick question and pardon my ignorance, but does my phone have to be plugged in to complete this process?
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ation-etc.html
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Have a question. My situation is as follows:
    I bought Sprint Pre Plus from ebay auction and it came with sprint communication in verizon body but nothing was done from software level. I'm not sure how and if its even possible to pull the tokens from this Hybrid Pre Plus. I also have my old Pre. Can I get tokens from that device? or are they hardware specific?

Can someone point me in the right direction. I don't need detailed steps just need high level steps I need to take.

Thanks

Alex