Page 42 of 68 FirstFirst ... 32373839404142434445464752 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    So I am attempting to convert an ATT pre plus to sprint. I have the com board swapped in the ATT phone from my sprint pre. When I try to run meta-doctor it gets to 65% and then gives me an error saying "We were unable to reset your phone."

When I boot up the phone I get the first run app. Then I enter my palm profile login and it says I am not connected to my carrier. I also tried making an "emergency call" to enter my msl and msid numbers. Still no luck. Any idea what might have gone wrong?
    Last edited by arsenic; 11/13/2010 at 04:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    Anybody know this?
    I have a sprint pre and a cracked screen plus.. can I skip meta doctor by putting it together different?

Can a pre screen/digitizer go on a plus?
    Not if you are trying to use the OMAP board from the cracked screen plus. The tokens stored on the OMAP board from the cracked screen plus will include the tokens that are specific to the cracked screen's comm board. You'll still need to replace those tokens with the tokens that are relevant to the Sprint comm board.
    heres a question I see on ebay a companys selling verizon motherboard, and comm board for 20.00 dollars. Now my question is could you swap out your Sprint motherboard with the Verizon mother board and obtain the 16 gig ram and 512 rom in doing so, without even doing meta doctor?

Palm Pre Plus Motherboard Verizon Phone Repairs ESN - eBay (item 270663630314 end time Nov-16-10 15:28:25 PST)
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    heres a question I see on ebay a companys selling verizon motherboard, and comm board for 20.00 dollars. Now my question is could you swap out your Sprint motherboard with the Verizon mother board and obtain the 16 gig ram and 512 rom in doing so, without even doing meta doctor?

Palm Pre Plus Motherboard Verizon Phone Repairs ESN - eBay (item 270663630314 end time Nov-16-10 15:28:25 PST)
    No. The motherboard has the tokens in it and will need to be meta doctored after you swap it in.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post

Misleading title in that eBay post. Swapping the CPU board does NOT "repair" an ESN... it's in the modem.

Even more misleading is in the post, "stuck at Palm logo" the remedy should be a Doctor, not swapping the motherboard...
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 11/14/2010 at 11:33 PM.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    PS I just built a second one yesterday:

Ready to be activated with Bell CDMA.

Might give it to a friend or sell it...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Misleading title in that eBay post. Swapping the CPU board does NOT "repair" an ESN... it's in the modem.

Even more misleading is in the post, "stuck at Palm logo" the remedy should be a Doctor, not swapping the motherboard...
    oh ok thanks all for all the information, hey I see you got this down my computer has a issue making meta doctor so Ill have to go through webosworld and let them swap it out for me. Its not bad they're only charging 30 dollars for the service including shipping cost.
    ok as you can see on ebay they have some Pre 2's being sold by the same member:

Palm Pre 2 Mobile Phone - webOS 2.0 - eBay (item 290500225304 end time Nov-17-10 08:09:09 PST)

my question is would a moderator want to try this conversion with a sprint pre, understanding all liabilities for doing so is on me?
    anyone put the sprint keyboard on the verizon plus? Did it fix the keyboard issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    anyone put the sprint keyboard on the verizon plus? Did it fix the keyboard issue?
    Earlier reports say yes. And even better if you can find an AT&T keyboard you get the clicky feel of the Plus but not the Verizon issues.

You can find the reports in this same thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Earlier reports say yes. And even better if you can find an AT&T keyboard you get the clicky feel of the Plus but not the Verizon issues.

You can find the reports in this same thread.
    I'll be doing this later on today then. I already took the kb out of the old pre. It was easy enough. Keys will be mushy again, but at least I'll have my orange button back lol... oh and be able to type.
    I installed the Sprint keyboard and it did indeed fix the verizon KB issue. Swapping keyboards was a real pain in the ***.
    I don't know if this has been mentioned.... you can always use internalz to copy the tokens directory to a directory that can be seen with the USB drive, then copy that directory over to the PC to read each file with notepad.

I'm in the process of swapping tokens so my old Pre can be a developer device. I assume I need to put the same tokens needed to make it usable. Although I can't help but wonder if you could somehow just copy tokens over from device to device without using the meta-doctor???
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    I don't know if this has been mentioned.... you can always use internalz to copy the tokens directory to a directory that can be seen with the USB drive, then copy that directory over to the PC to read each file with notepad.

I'm in the process of swapping tokens so my old Pre can be a developer device. I assume I need to put the same tokens needed to make it usable. Although I can't help but wonder if you could somehow just copy tokens over from device to device without using the meta-doctor???
    You can use trenchcoat on the device Linux command line to do it directly, but the instructions to do that would be more complex than the MetaDoctor instructions, so it would just result in people clobbering their bootloader, thinking they have a bricked device, not being able to follow the omap bootloader last resort recovery instructions, and then fraudulently sending the device back to the manufacturer like that guy did when he tried the FrankenDoctor procedure (he could have just used vol-up recovery to fix it).

So we're unlikely to document that procedure ...

BTW, the easiest way to get the tokens is to use the "Generate castle.xml" option in the "Show Properties" app. Dunno why that hasn't been added to the first post yet.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    I'll be doing this later on today then. I already took the kb out of the old pre. It was easy enough. Keys will be mushy again, but at least I'll have my orange button back lol... oh and be able to type.
    I after using and AT&T keyboard I really do miss the old original PRE's. Miss the orange as well.
    Commodore Pet, Commodore 64&128, Amiga 4000, PC-7, Ubuntu, Treo 650. Treo 755p,Sprint Palm Pre Plus 2.2.4,2 Sprint Pre2 2.2.4, TouchPad 32gig.
    Whoo Hoo!!! I'll be Plus'ing my own tomorrow! Has anyone made a verizon plam pre minus with the left over parts?
    Quote Originally Posted by NoLeftHere View Post
    Whoo Hoo!!! I'll be Plus'ing my own tomorrow! Has anyone made a verizon plam pre minus with the left over parts?
    Or an AT&T/T-Mobile Pre Minus.

I copied over all the tokens from the AT&T Pre Plus before pulling it apart to make the Sprint Pre Plus.

I kind of would hate to completely loose an GSM unlocked phone.
    Commodore Pet, Commodore 64&128, Amiga 4000, PC-7, Ubuntu, Treo 650. Treo 755p,Sprint Palm Pre Plus 2.2.4,2 Sprint Pre2 2.2.4, TouchPad 32gig.
    Well I just wanted to post here to let everyone know of another success in converting a AT&T Pre Plus into a Sprint Pre Plus.

The hardest part for me was the re-assembling of the phone. Getting the two haves to go back together was a real pain. I should have watched the videos another user had posted about it.

I used a Ubuntu computer for the castle.xml and the tokens. The first time it must have not taken the tokens correctly and Device Info still showed it as an AT&T so the second Doctor would not work. I had to start the process over from scratch. The second go around both doctors worked fine.

Thanks again for everyone that made this possible.
    My only concern is the meta doctor, once I get it up and running, I am mostly using it for the makefile right?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The guide should tell folks to keep the comms board and the plastic casing containing the antennae together, not separate them. Then the wire lengths are not an issue and you don't even need to remove the wires from the connectors.

-- Rod
    This would have been very helpful to know. The AT&T GPS wires are longer and end up going over the back of the battery. Still works fine and the old Pres Com Board is a little worn. May need to change it back if the wires pop loose.