Page 41 of 68 FirstFirst ... 313637383940414243444546 51 ... LastLast
Results 801 to 820 of 1350
Like Tree1Likes
  1. #801  
    I've plussed my pre. Thanks for your awesome walk through. The hardest part was the meta doctor. Being a WIMP (Windows Interface Mouse Person) I found the pure command line approach to be be not my cup of tea, especially for copying/moving files around.

    If you plan on doing this conversion, do what I did and start your meta doctor prep work while you are waiting for your ebay'd pre+ to get to you.

    I've been planning this upgrade for a while, so I've been intentionally not using my center button. Swiping up instead of pressing it, etc.
    Last edited by grandebob; 11/10/2010 at 11:41 AM.
  2. precon22's Avatar
    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    428 Global Posts
    #802  
    so I managed to take out the motherboard from the back of my old pre - I was curious if I purchased a newer pre pluse since I know wxactly how to take the mobo out. Can I swap over the mobos and the com boards instead of using all of this programmin method
  3. #803  
    my question is couldnt someone compile the meta doctor and post a zip file on here, then all people would have to do is open that zip file up, download that paticular meta doctor file open it up and change the tokens to what corresponds with yours. Then all they would have to do is follow the tear down piece of it and run meta doctor after you do so. Is that something that could be done?
  4. #804  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    my question is couldnt someone compile the meta doctor and post a zip file on here
    The meta-doctor is a Makefile (script) - no need to compile it.

    If you're talking about posting a modified doctor file - that can't be done for legal reasons.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  5. #805  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The meta-doctor is a Makefile (script) - no need to compile it.

    If you're talking about posting a modified doctor file - that can't be done for legal reasons.

    -- Rod
    yeah thats what I mean, I see thanks for that info.
  6. ashi's Avatar
    Posts
    202 Posts
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    #806  
    Quote Originally Posted by precon22 View Post
    so I managed to take out the motherboard from the back of my old pre - I was curious if I purchased a newer pre pluse since I know wxactly how to take the mobo out. Can I swap over the mobos and the com boards instead of using all of this programmin method
    The main reason for the swap is to use the Pre+ motherboard, which has more RAM and more storage than the old Pre. So if you swap them both over, you'll have the newer case with the soft button but still the old Pre specs.
  7. #807  
    i have a question if I have a sprint webos meta doctor that someone sent me via zip can I extract the files, replace the tokens with the sprint pre im using them compile it back together and run it?
  8. ashi's Avatar
    Posts
    202 Posts
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    #808  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    i have a question if I have a sprint webos meta doctor that someone sent me via zip can I extract the files, replace the tokens with the sprint pre im using them compile it back together and run it?
    That sounds more complicated than simply building it yourself. It is also illegal to redistribute. I would follow the instructions here and do it yourself.
  9. #809  
    Quote Originally Posted by ashi View Post
    That sounds more complicated than simply building it yourself. It is also illegal to redistribute. I would follow the instructions here and do it yourself.
    ok so one more question is it easier to make the metadoctor using VMware, VirtualBox, WUBI, or Cygwin Im running windows 7 Ultimate?
  10. #810  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    ok so one more question is it easier to make the metadoctor using VMware, VirtualBox, WUBI, or Cygwin Im running windows 7 Ultimate?
    Since you're likely to already have the Palm SDK and VirtualBox installed, I'd suggest using that. Then you can follow the original Linux instructions.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  11. #811  
    This might have been asked already, but does anyone have a hypothesis about swapping a current Pre com board into a Pre 2 phone?
  12. #812  
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedwagon View Post
    This might have been asked already, but does anyone have a hypothesis about swapping a current Pre com board into a Pre 2 phone?
    That is one of the first things that Sconix is going to confirm when he receives his SFR Pre 2 in Finland, which has been purchased using funds from the Pre 2 Telethon which is currently underway: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ture-devi.html

    Has everyone who has benefitted from using the MetaDoctor in this thread donated yet?

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  13. #813  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Since you're likely to already have the Palm SDK and VirtualBox installed, I'd suggest using that. Then you can follow the original Linux instructions.

    -- Rod
    ok thanks rod
  14. #814  
    This question does not really pertain to everything (per se), but why is the AT&T Pre Plus so much more compared to the Verizon Pre Plus everywhere I search (eBay, Craigslist, etc.)? I don't really want the Verizon version but they're all so much cheaper (it's not even close really).
  15. #815  
    Quote Originally Posted by THAANSA3 View Post
    This question does not really pertain to everything (per se), but why is the AT&T Pre Plus so much more compared to the Verizon Pre Plus everywhere I search (eBay, Craigslist, etc.)? I don't really want the Verizon version but they're all so much cheaper (it's not even close really).
    GSM devices can be used with other SIM cards, without needing to contact the carrier.

    CDMA devices require either subversion of the MEID or the carrier's approval to use it.

    Hence, GSM devices are more valuable.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  16. #816  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    This comparison is un-Rod!
    The AT&T Pre Plus is locked to a carrier, so it cannot be used with other SIM cards.
    (unless of course...)
    Sorry, I was swept away in the euphoria of all global 3G banded webOS devices now being available unlocked from the UK ...

    -- Rod
  17. #817  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    15-11 is the new date.
    Yes, the difference being an official new hardware announcement (which Palm never misses) rather than some made up rumour.

    -- Rod
  18. #818  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    I didn't make you say "now", Rod
    Mea culpa.

    -- Rod
  19. #819  
    First, thanks for the guide.
    I am using gedit to edit the castle file. I did everything today. The castle file I have is missing the ProdSN line. Can someone paste a castle file so I know what it is supposed to look like.
    This is what I have:

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!-- Installer Rules for Castle Hardware -->
    <TrenchCoat>
    <CPU type="OMAP34xx"/>
    <Flash type="mmc" alignment="524288" device="/dev/mmcblk0">
    <Entry type="mbr" size="512" align="false"/>
    <Entry type="bootloader" size="192KB" file="${BOOTIE}"/>
    <Entry type="nvram" size="4MB">
    <Section name="env" type="env" size="16KB">
    <Val name="installer" value="trenchcoat"/>
    <Val name="autoboot" action="delete"/>
    <Val name="bootfile" action="delete"/>
    </Section>
    <Section name="tokens" type="token" size="4KB">
    <Val name="installer" value="trenchcoat"/>
    </Section>
    <Section name="logo-boot" type="image" file="BootLogo.tga"/>
    <Section name="logo-chg" type="image" file="Charging.tga"/>
    <Section name="logo-badchg" type="image" file="NoPower.tga"/>
    <Section name="logo-nobatt" type="image" file="NoBatt.tga"/>
    <Section name="logo-badsys" type="image" file="BadSys.tga"/>
    <Section name="logo-nosys" type="image" file="NoSys.tga"/>
    <Section name="logo-sync" type="image" file="Sync.tga"/>
    <Section name="logo-panic" type="image" file="Panic.tga"/>
    <Section name="logo-disk" type="image" file="Disk.tga"/>
    </Entry>
    <Entry type="ext3" size="32MB" mount="/boot"/>
    <Entry type="lvm" id="pv" size="*" metadatasize="1532KB" metadatacopies="2"/>
    </Flash>
    <VolumeGroups>
    <Group name="store" pv="pv" physicalextentsize="8MB">
    <Volume id="root" type="ext3" size="456MB" mount="/"/>
    <Volume id="var" type="ext3" size="256MB" mount="/var"/>
    <Volume id="update" type="ext3" size="56MB" mount="/var/lib/update"/>
    <Volume id="log" type="ext3" size="40MB" mount="/var/log"/>
    <Volume id="media" type="fat32" size="*" mount="/media/internal"/>
    <Volume id="swap" size="128MB"/>
    </Group>
    </VolumeGroups>
    <Filesystem fstab="/etc/fstab">
    <Mount device="rootfs" mount="/" type="ext3" options="ro,suid,dev,exec,auto,nouser,async,noatime" freq="1" passno="1"/>
    <Mount id="var" options="noatime,data=writeback" freq="0" passno="0"/>
    <Mount id="log" options="noatime" freq="0" passno="0"/>
    <Mount id="update" options="noauto,noatime" freq="0" passno="0"/>
    <Mount device="proc" mount="/proc" type="proc" options="defaults" freq="0" passno="0"/>
    <Mount device="devpts" mount="/dev/pts" type="devpts" options="mode=0620,gid=5" freq="0" passno="0"/>
    <Mount device="tmpfs" mount="/tmp" type="tmpfs" options="size=64M,mode=1777" freq="0" passno="0"/>
    <Mount device="tmpfs" mount="/var/run" type="tmpfs" options="size=16M,mode=1777" freq="0" passno="0"/>
    <Mount device="tmpfs" mount="/media/ram" type="tmpfs" options="defaults" freq="0" passno="0"/>
    <Mount id="media" options="utf8,shortname=mixed,umask=0000" freq="0" passno="0"/>
    </Filesystem>
    <Images>
    <File file="${NOVATGZ}" target="/"/>
    </Images>
    <PostInstall file="/sbin/tcpostflash.sh"/>
    </TrenchCoat>
  20. #820  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigzeto View Post
    I may have to do this. The Verizon pre I got off ebay has a cracked screen and the touchscreen does not work at all. So I have already disassembled the Verizon Pre to get the motherboard out. If I install this motherboard into my Sprint Pre, will I be all set? Obviously the reassembly is going to be difficult but I just want to make sure this is all I will need to do.
    Anybody know this?
    I have a sprint pre and a cracked screen plus.. can I skip meta doctor by putting it together different?

    Can a pre screen/digitizer go on a plus?
    Last edited by IcerC; 11/12/2010 at 10:01 PM.

    Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions