Page 4 of 68 FirstFirst 123456789 14 54 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Just completed this and it works no problems whatsoever. The only thing I'm dealing with is a bit of keyboard input lag on the Pre+, but I think that's always been something of a problem.

OP, thank you so much! You've quelled my "new phone" kick for the foreseeable future.
    Very cool. Time to go find a pre plus for cheap. I'd just love to have the extra memory.
    Definitely going to do this. There are a bunch of Pre+ on eBay right now (I saw them first!), and I'm hoping to snag one of them. An extra touchstone dock wouldn't be too bad right now either...

Nightburn, thanks for the response. Not a knock on your price or competence at all, I just thought I would make this a fun side project.
    "...human sacrifices, dogs and cats living together! MASS HYSTERIA!"

-Ghostbusters
    Somewhere in the MetaDoctor docs it says "If you plan on using a CDMA phone and would like to use your carrier, it might be best if you call them in order to get your MSL.".

What is a MSL? And... is this needed for this operation?
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    Somewhere in the MetaDoctor docs it says "If you plan on using a CDMA phone and would like to use your carrier, it might be best if you call them in order to get your MSL.".

What is a MSL? And... is this needed for this operation?
    This operation does not change the communication between the comms board and your carrier in any way, so no information to or from your carrier is required.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Ok I can't launch JAR files created with MetaDoctor. (MacOS X)

Any ideas?

The whole build process runs fine, no errors but created JAR's won't run.
    Ok I can't launch JAR files created with MetaDoctor. (MacOS X)

Any ideas?

The whole build process runs fine, no errors but created JAR's won't run.
    I created and maintain the MetaDoctor on MacOSX Snow Leopard, including running the generated JAR files.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Umm... I don't understand what you're trying to say here?

I'm running Leopard b.t.w.

What should I read / do ?
    Umm... I don't understand what you're trying to say here?

I'm running Leopard b.t.w.

What should I read / do ?
    What I'm saying is that it works out of the box for myself and many people, so I can't say what you need to do differently.

Instead, you'll need to start the ball rolling by stating in extreme detail what you currently do. And the meta-doctor thread is probably a better place for that rather than this thread.

-- Rod
    What I did is follow the exact instructions in this thread for a custom metadoctored webos doctor with my tokens in it. The created JAR won't launch on my machine. I have no idea what other information to provide... No pun intended or whatsoever.
    What I did is follow the exact instructions in this thread for a custom metadoctored webos doctor with my tokens in it. The created JAR won't launch on my machine. I have no idea what other information to provide... No pun intended or whatsoever.
    Have you looked at the official Meta-Doctor thread and wiki page? It's always best to go to the official documentation for any tool you are using, rather than relying on partial instructions that have been copied from the official documentation.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by oobernuber View Post
    Definitely going to do this. There are a bunch of Pre+ on eBay right now (I saw them first!), and I'm hoping to snag one of them. An extra touchstone dock wouldn't be too bad right now either...

Nightburn, thanks for the response. Not a knock on your price or competence at all, I just thought I would make this a fun side project.
    It was certainly a rewarding project for me. If you're willing to take it upon yourself and give it a go, you'll probably get more out of it

I just want to reinterate one more time on how important it is to be very careful when separating the keyboard bezel from the backplate! It's probably the only step in this process where you might break something. You'll need a plastic wedge for this part. Start by separating the 4 visible tabs, then use your wedge to work around the bottom edge of the keyboard bezel. Then finally gently pop off the clips illustrated in the attached pic. During reassembly, go in reverse order. Don't rush through this step, take it slow and be patient.

rwhitby I have done everything I could. It all appears to work fine on the commandline. When I finally run:

java -jar webosdoctorp100ewwsprint-1.4.5.jar

I get:

Invalid or corrupt jarfile webosdoctorp100ewwsprint-1.4.5.jar

Everything works exactly like the instructions but the JAR won't run.
    I read the wiki to the letter as well. Didn't find any new insights there.

This is really frustrating. The hardware surgery worked fine, I have a working Pre Plus on Sprint but I can't webosdoctor it
    rwhitby I have done everything I could. It all appears to work fine on the commandline. When I finally run:

java -jar webosdoctorp100ewwsprint-1.4.5.jar

I get:

Invalid or corrupt jarfile webosdoctorp100ewwsprint-1.4.5.jar

Everything works exactly like the instructions but the JAR won't run.
    I read the wiki to the letter as well. Didn't find any new insights there.

This is really frustrating. The hardware surgery worked fine, I have a working Pre Plus on Sprint but I can't webosdoctor it
    The only thing I can suggest then is installing a Ubuntu virtual machine and running the MetaDoctor in there.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightburn View Post
    I just want to reinterate one more time on how important it is to be very careful when separating the keyboard bezel from the backplate! It's probably the only step in this process where you might break something. You'll need a plastic wedge for this part. Start by separating the 4 visible tabs, then use your wedge to work around the bottom edge of the keyboard bezel. Then finally gently pop off the clips illustrated in the attached pic. During reassembly, go in reverse order. Don't rush through this step, take it slow and be patient.
    Yes, getting the two tabs at the middle of the sides back seated correctly is the hardest part of getting it back together. They need to be slid in from the bottom. Don't try and work from the bottom of the keyboard up when reassembling, or you'll end up with those two tabs sticking out and no way to get them back in without breaking something.

-- Rod
    Strange, strange. I managed to build the jar on CygWin on my wife's laptop. The resulting JAR would STILL not run on my Mac. It does however run fine on the windows laptop. Now doctoring the Pre Plus as we speak.
    Whew. Finally got everything to work. Fully functional Pre Plus on Sprint.
    Thanks a lot for this!
    Incredible! If I was on Sprint I would definitely try this!
    Looks like I spoke too soon. I went over the software portion of the instructions last night, in detail, and I think that part might be over my head. I'll have to look it over more this weekend.

Nightburn, is that offer still on the table? I might take you up on it. I actually got a Pre+ yesterday and it's in the mail. :-)
    Last edited by oobernuber; 08/19/2010 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Clarification
    "...human sacrifices, dogs and cats living together! MASS HYSTERIA!"

-Ghostbusters
    The nice thing about the software bit is that you can mess up as many times as you want. The only critical part is collecting the tokens right.

Then when the surgery has been done right you can turn on the phone and see if it works. Mine worked immediately. It got on the Sprint network just fine and it worked both as a phone and as a browser. The software thing is only to make it accept webos updates to turn the software back to Sprint rather than Verizon.