Page 35 of 68 FirstFirst ... 253031323334353637383940 45 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    You can say that again! I used vi for the longest time and accidentally double clicked one of the token files and to my surprise gedit opened up and I almost punched myself in the face. WHY would I want to use/learn vi through the terminal if I can just use Gedit. >.<.
    If you're forced to use it for a while, you might grow to like vi. I use it on my Sprint Pre Plus now and then.

But really, why would you copy and paste all the tokens when you can use a script to format them to XML lines you can paste into the castle.xml? Okay, I only did this because I am swapping a lot of phones... run this in a terminal window on your Linux machine after copying over the token files and doing cd to the directory. Make it executable. For example:

save this as /home/ashi/format-tokens-xml.sh
    chmod +x /home/ashi/format-tokens-xml.sh
    cd my-tokens-are-here
    /home/ashi/format-tokens-xml.sh

(of course you probably won't be in /home/ashi)

You can copy the lines it outputs into the castle.xml file. Be sure to remove the extra <Section name="tokens" type="token" size="4KB"> through </Section> lines in the file.

Code:
    #!/usr/bin/env bash

# Special thanks to PreCentral and WebOS homebrewers!

# This script will read token values from text files in the current 
    # directory and output them in an XML file to be pasted into a 
    # castle.xml file for use in reprogramming a Palm Pre / Palm Pre Plus.

# See http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pre-tips-information-resources/259077-pre-plus-sprint-step-step-conversion-guide.html
    # for more details.

# First, let's define all of the tokens we'll use.

tokenlist='ProdSN ModemSN BATToRSP BATToCH DMSVRoNONCE DMSVRoAUTHPW DMCLoNONCE DMCLoAUTHPW DMCLoAUTHNAME DMCARRIER DMMODEL WIFIoADDR BToADDR PalmSN PRODoID PN'

# Next check to make sure each file is in the directory.
    # A simple flag
    filenotfound=n

for t in $tokenlist;
      do
      if [ ! -e "./"$t ]
      then
        echo "Error: $t not found in current directory."
        filenotfound=y
      fi
      done

# If the flag was set even once, there's at least one file missing. Quit.
    if [ $filenotfound == y ];
    then
      echo " "
      echo "Error: One or more files not found in current directory. Did you copy the tokens over? Are you in the directory with the tokens?"
      exit 1
    fi

# Output the XML headers first. I put the big block of space on its own line.

echo '<Section name="tokens" type="token" size="4KB">'
    echo -n '                               '
    echo '<Val name="installer" value="trenchcoat"/>'

# Now to grab and output each variable. I used an array keyed to the filename 
    # / variable name like: token[ProdSN], token[ModemSN], etc.

for t in $tokenlist;
      do
      token[$t]=`cat ./$t`
      echo -n '                             '
      echo '<Val name="'$t'" action="overwrite" value="'${token[$t]}'"/>'
      done

# Lastly, output the XML footer.
    echo '                  </Section>'
    Quote Originally Posted by ashi View Post
    Are you saying you've used novacom but not novaterm?
    novaterm just calls novacom with a few options:
    exec novacom $* -t open tty://0

Dev mode needs to be enabled before novacom/novaterm will work. So yes, bypass first use and enable dev mode. Put pre for device and sprint for carrier. After you run that metadoctor, you should be able to log in with novaterm (novacom).

Java files don't work with Ubuntu? Do you have OpenJDK or any Java installed? Check that and try one of these two methods:

Method 1: Right click on the file, Open with OpenJDK Java 6 Runtime

Method 2: Open a terminal. Type:
    java -jar
    (make sure there is a space at the end)
    then drag the .jar file to the terminal to have it populate the path and filename
    then hit Enter.

Gedit is the default graphical text editor for Ubuntu and should be fine. I just use vi from a terminal, but it takes a lot of getting used to.

the second method worked, but when i try to click method i get error id did not come from ubuntu so it is not executable. can i change this?
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkyfischer View Post
    the second method worked, but when i try to click method i get error id did not come from ubuntu so it is not executable. can i change this?
    Ah! Yes, you can. Right click the file, Properties, and the Permissions tab. Click the box for "Allow executing file as program." You can also click the "Open With" tab and select OpenJDK so you can just double-click.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Okay, I have shot a video of the com board swap. Hopefully it isn't too blurry or mumbly! My SD card ran out just as I was snapping the Sprint Palm Pre Plus together... all I was going to do after that was turn it on.

Thanks So much!!!!!!!

I got it
    Last edited by stinkyfischer; 10/22/2010 at 10:21 PM. Reason: stupidity
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    ok i just got through doing my second com board swap and i ran my webosdoctor made in metadoctor. the only thing is, i forgot to activate the phone first.

does this matter?
    Quote Originally Posted by djprelude View Post
    ok i just got through doing my second com board swap and i ran my webosdoctor made in metadoctor. the only thing is, i forgot to activate the phone first.

does this matter?
    Nope, just call in Sprint to activate it as if you were activating the old Pre, don't even need to tell them it has been modified. That's what I did for my swap, my original Bell phone was intact and I just did an ESN change.

Give them the MEID of the comm board donor.
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 10/23/2010 at 05:00 PM.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Hey guys. I am doing the swap but i ran into some trouble. So I had to use meta-doctor to bypass first use on a used sprint pre to extract tokens. I have written them down in a word document for further access.

Now I read in the instructions that for future uses of meta doctor, there are three files to run, "make clobber; rm Makefile; git pull" And I ran them as such. . however, no matter how many times I refollow the instructions or re d/l the webosdoctor, there is no makefile. when i type nano makefile, its blank. I'm pretty sure that I deleted the file by running those commands but have no clue how to get it back. Can anyone offer some guidance? Much appreciated.
    joejoe
    @joejoe1 same thing happen to me. Basically that just delete your entire meta-doctor folder (i would move the unmodified webos doctor so you don't have to download it again). Then rerun the instructions you originally followed to create the meta-doctor folder again from scratch. Then move your webos doctor back to the downloads folder, edit the makefile and you'll be good to go.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Thanks for your response. I've retried all the steps. But the metadoctor folder never fully deleted. do i run the commands from the meta doctor folder or from the folder before that?

also, I can't find the meta-doctor folder through windows.
    Last edited by joejoe1; 10/25/2010 at 11:06 AM.
    in the folder before that. You have to completely remove the meta doctor folder and all files and folders within it. Again I would move the unmodified webos doctor to another folder so that when you remove the meta doctor folder it does not get deleted as well.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    thanks drahgon.

i moved the unmodified file to a new location. The commands would not work in the terminal. But, I located the meta-doctor folder in the file browser, and t he directory meta-doctor will not delete. It says I don't have permisison to do that. So I renamed it to meta and am starting fresh with the instructions. I know it's sloppy to do. Do you know how I can change the permission or get it to delete? How can I change permission so that I can delete it from the file browser.
    Thats odd that the file browser wont work. But I recommend not doing this on the pre. Much easier it you simply install Cygwin and meta doctor from there. You can try running the command rm -rf meta-doctor in terminal. that should work
    can someone answer this question if i was to switch a (working)Sprint palm pre com board into another Sprint palm pre which has a bad esn would i still have to perform all these steps?
    joejoe1,

If the Makefile was not there, then a "git pull" should have gotten it. If that wouldn't have worked, then you were probly in the wrong directory.

Lots of problems I see are with people simply in the wrong directory, because they don't know how to navigate in folders, list files, move/rename files, copy files, or otherwise use a linux shell. People should take the time to research those basic commands, at a minimum -- cd, ls, mv, cp, rm, pwd.... and so on.

You can do this directly from your command-line shell, as well!

Just type: "man pwd" or "man tar"and it'll tell you all about the program, and how to use switches to change the functionality of the program. Switches are like adverbs to the commands (i.e. - verbs).

Hopefully, one doesn't try to use the command-line without learning the basics first.

I believe the reason the folder didn't remove it is because it was created after he used "sudo -s". Simply going back to the shell, since you should still be logged in as root-user, and typing "rm -r ~/meta-doctor" should work. If it doesn't, "sudo rm -r ~/meta-doctor" will definitely work.
    Quote Originally Posted by eggroks View Post
    can someone answer this question if i was to switch a (working)Sprint palm pre com board into another Sprint palm pre which has a bad esn would i still have to perform all these steps?
    Probly not???!?
    i've tried the sprint pre plus twice now, and i think that i need just a little help, after searching the forums i just wanted get it straight , i successfully changed the com boards on my sprint pre to the verizon pre and everything worked fine, meta doctored and sprint doctored, the phone seemed to have worked fine before but i wasn't totally sure, as soon as it came in the mail i went to operate on it-- well after short usage, the phone while plugged into the charger on the wall and the charging symbol is reading charging on the phone, but it remained at the same percentage and wouldnt move, i ending up leaving it on the charger one night and the phone was extremely hot,,, after casual usage on it within that day it suddenly died out one me, and smelled like it had burned up, so i purchased another one off of ebay after taking my sprint com board and putting it back into my sprint pre and it worked and charged, figuring i just got a bad phone on ebay the first time, the second pre plus arrives, its a little dinged up compared to the first that burned up, which looked new- so i followed ur total tear down, and last night completed, swapping the screen of the new pre plus with the burned, using the good chip, and basically the best of the 2 phones, along with the sprint com board, not i have the same tokens that i transfered over form the first meta doctor, and after charging up all the way loading up all my profile and apps, the phone was warm, i shut it down to let it cool off, pluged it into the computer and it seemed to have worked fine, i have a 20.mb db3 file, that doesnt work always on the first try, well i pulled that over and the phone wanted to restore, and start the activation process over, it did, loaded half the files and failed with the rest, and then it stopped charging again, so now i feel like i have a bad phone again, after staying up all night thinking i had a super phone, already purchased $60 in accessories prior, because although, this is the first devise of this size:complexity i've ever opened, now as i trouble shoot, i cant tell where the problem lies, i wondered if perhaps there may have been something with the batt tokens, since the phone charged on the sprint phone but not on the verizon, and perhaps i should've used verizon batt tokens instead, or maybe, the sprint com board is the issue?... or perhaps i screwed up someway in doing this project, since seemingly there were 2 good verizon pre's and now there is 1- any feedback or thoughts would be appreciated, this is my 2nd phone i've owned, my first smart phone, but i am an enthusiast, forgive my long windedness, but i know how details left out can be annoying, thanks in advanced-
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Navigata1: Sorry you've had troubles. Have you double-checked all of the tokens? BATToRSP is particularly long and battery-related: make sure you got all 40 characters. I haven't had a problem like this, but another token-related charging problem was reported earlier in this thread.

Also, a small recommendation: Paragraphs make longer posts easier to read. Thanks!
    Navigata1: Definitely sounds like your battery token is wrong. Like ashi said make sure you have all 40 characters and make sure they are correct. Sometimes copying and pasting can change certain characters so it is best to manually write them down then triple check them to be sure.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Awesome, ill do that, i definitely triple checked them on the initial go round and used the same settings on the second phone and getting this same issue so it doesnt hurt to check again , will do- and again sorry for the long post, it was initially a personal email, copy and pasting it, lost all formatting- ill try rebuilding that doctor now- thanks again-