Page 33 of 68 FirstFirst ... 232829303132333435363738 43 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    webos repair utility still found errors on that file. said it could not open file. I stopped file and selected file to replace (the appinfo.json) and........

IT WORKED> thanks everyone!!!!!!!
    i used internalz. i must have made a typo. thanks again!!!
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Yay, glad it works!
    Hello everyone! So I was looking at PC on my Sprint Pre Plus this morning, and saw the Pre 2 official announcement... with no mention of Sprint getting the phone at all...

Do you see what I'm getting at? I'm hoping for another comm board swap in my future. Or the Pre2 could just come to Sprint right around the time I re-up with Sprint in December. If not, would it be possible to do a similar mod with the Pre2, even though the jump is bigger (WebOS 2.0, different cpu)?
    "...human sacrifices, dogs and cats living together! MASS HYSTERIA!"

-Ghostbusters
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oobernuber View Post
    Hello everyone! So I was looking at PC on my Sprint Pre Plus this morning, and saw the Pre 2 official announcement... with no mention of Sprint getting the phone at all...

Do you see what I'm getting at? I'm hoping for another comm board swap in my future. Or the Pre2 could just come to Sprint right around the time I re-up with Sprint in December. If not, would it be possible to do a similar mod with the Pre2, even though the jump is bigger (WebOS 2.0, different cpu)?
    Yes, I've been wondering the same thing. I plan to get a Pre2, whichever carrier gets it first, and give it a shot.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Given that the Pre 2 has the same battery, same back cover, same FCC label, same form factor overall, The only think keeping us from doing a coms board swap would be if they changed the pins on it. but why should they? The fact that it appears that one of the antennae may be on the other side of the slider may affect it, but we shouldn't have too long to wait before ifixit tears one down.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGP View Post
    Given that the Pre 2 has the same battery, same back cover, same FCC label, same form factor overall, The only think keeping us from doing a coms board swap would be if they changed the pins on it. but why should they? The fact that it appears that one of the antennae may be on the other side of the slider may affect it, but we shouldn't have too long to wait before ifixit tears one down.
    I believe the information about the antenna and slider was not correct. Someone made an incorrect assumption and it has been widely misreported.

The Bluetooth antenna is on the OMAP board. Neither it or the wifi antenna have anything to do with the wires coming from the comms board on the Pre.

I am hopeful of a Pre2 comms board swap. I will need to do one on the US developer device to make it work on the 3G bands that the majority of the world uses ...

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I am hopeful of a Pre2 comms board swap. I will need to do one on the US developer device to make it work on the 3G bands that the majority of the world uses ...

-- Rod
    Hey Rod, I'll be right there with you! I'm more than willing to pick up an experimental dev device to swap out its comm board and see if it works. I assume your script will be able to be editted (relatively quickly, I assume) to cater for the "pre2" and be able to make a nice meta doctor for the new device...

-- Rod
    I thought Telstra was UMTS 850?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    I thought Telstra was UMTS 850?
    Yeah, but Telstra is the odd man out in Australia (like US carriers, they have delusions that they are more than just a data pipe).

All the other carriers here use normal global 3G freqs.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Hey Rod, I'll be right there with you! I'm more than willing to pick up an experimental dev device to swap out its comm board and see if it works. I assume your script will be able to be editted (relatively quickly, I assume) to cater for the "pre2" and be able to make a nice meta doctor for the new device...
    Already had a guess at what the changes need to be, based on rumours and public leaks:

DEVICE: pre -> pre2
    MODEL: p100eww -> p102eww
    CODENAME: castle -> roadrunner

-- Rod
    Depending on how much I can get a pre2 for, I'd love to do this again. It was a lot of fun. I'll probably hold out til ces.
  13.    #653  
    Already had a guess at what the changes need to be, based on rumours and public leaks:

-- Rod
    I'll be ready with a new guide once we can confirm that this works. Although I imagine that Pre2's will fetch a fairly high price without a contract for awhile as they are not nearly as ubiquitous as Pre Pluses and it's new.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by livinofframen View Post
    I'll be ready with a new guide once we can confirm that this works. Although I imagine that Pre2's will fetch a fairly high price without a contract for awhile as they are not nearly as ubiquitous as Pre Pluses and it's new.
    That would be the one setback. But seeing as we have seen the overclocked Pre Plus match speed with the Pre 2, I'm in no hurry to "deuce" my Sprint Pre Plus.
    Dumb question. Can you swap boards from a Verizon Pixi+ to a Pre+?

Pixi's all I got. I remember seeing a mention that the IMEI number is hardwired to the processor, not the radio board, and I fear it means the answer is negatory.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twilightomni View Post
    Dumb question. Can you swap boards from a Verizon Pixi+ to a Pre+?

Pixi's all I got. I remember seeing a mention that the IMEI number is hardwired to the processor, not the radio board, and I fear it means the answer is negatory.
    Sorry, they are different sizes. You can swap between Pixi and Pixi+.
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    Hopefully a flood of Pre Pluses hit ebay and drives the prices down

-- Rod
    Yeah, I had a strong feeling that was the only change needed. I guess we'll see when the doctors are released.

Here's to hoping they give out Pre 2's during NYC Dev Day!
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Yeah, I had a strong feeling that was the only change needed. I guess we'll see when the doctors are released.

Here's to hoping they give out Pre 2's during NYC Dev Day!
    Hmm - maybe I'll bring my comms board swapping tools and a spare .eu UMTS comms card with me ...

-- Rod
    Hmm - maybe I'll bring my comms board swapping tools and a spare .eu UMTS comms card with me ...

-- Rod
    Yeah!

As a matter of fact, I plan on extending my service to all the attendees of NYC Dev Day. I'd be more than willing to do it for anyone who's there. It shouldn't take that long (assuming the Pre 2 internals are similar enough), so they can sit there and watch me do it as well!

If we really do end up getting Pre 2's, this is going to be a super exciting Dev Day. .