Page 30 of 68 FirstFirst ... 20252627282930313233343540 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Awesome, sounds good!

Thanks for the feedback.

Now I just have to find a T5 Screwdriver. >.<.
    I found one at Home Depot in a little $5 set with Torx, philips, etc. I had to ask an employee though after looking around at Torx sets that didn't go down that small.
    Awesome, sounds good!

Thanks for the feedback.

Now I just have to find a T5 Screwdriver. >.<.
    It took me forever to find a T5 screwdriver bit. I finally found a electronics kit at Lowes.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Oh and for everyone asking about the keyboard issues, I have had zero problems with the AT&T keyboard. I type pretty fast and I don't miss any keys. I haven't typed on a Verizon keyboard but the AT&T Pre Plus keyboard is the best keyboard I have ever used on a mobile phone only second to my wife's Pixi. The Pixi keyboard is pretty darn good for how small it is.

Yes I have used Blackberry keyboards before (Bold and Tour), but I really prefer the rubberized clicky feel of the Palm keyboards over the hard plastic BB keyboards. Much better feel IMHO.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    So I found out that one of those little tiny tots or whatever it is screwdrivers has a PERFECT sized Torx screwdriver on it. Managed to do this hack (with a little trouble, tbh).

I don't know why it hasn't been mentioned in this thread, but I used an ATT Pre Plus, and the wires to the GPS were a little bit longer than the Sprint Pre's. I had to loop them around and had a little bit of trouble with them.

As for the wires from the Sprint Pre to the ATT Comm board, those wires are too short. I can't have an ATT Pre Minus with working GPS on it?

Has anyone done this?
    So I found out that one of those little tiny tots or whatever it is screwdrivers has a PERFECT sized Torx screwdriver on it. Managed to do this hack (with a little trouble, tbh).

I don't know why it hasn't been mentioned in this thread, but I used an ATT Pre Plus, and the wires to the GPS were a little bit longer than the Sprint Pre's. I had to loop them around and had a little bit of trouble with them.

As for the wires from the Sprint Pre to the ATT Comm board, those wires are too short. I can't have an ATT Pre Minus with working GPS on it?

Has anyone done this?
    Swap the rear casing at the same time as the comms board.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Swap the rear casing at the same time as the comms board.

-- Rod
    That would be the smart thing to do.

hahahaha.

Thanks Rod.

Has anyone done this?
    The length of the GPS wires was discussed earlier in the thread by the first user who did the AT&T swap. I know it's a long thread but you gotta read it.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    The length of the GPS wires was discussed earlier in the thread by the first user who did the AT&T swap. I know it's a long thread but you gotta read it.
    hahaha. I was too excited to read. Thanks to Rod for the quick tip though. Honestly, I should've searched within the thread... I know. .

As I said, WAY too excited...

However, I now successfully have two working Pres. An ATT Pre Minus and a Sprint Pre Plus. .

Now to find out a way to unlock that ATT Minus without paying some website for an unlock code. :P.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Now to find out a way to unlock that ATT Minus without paying some website for an unlock code. :P.
    I had a friend with an AT&T account contact them for me about unlocking a used Pixi I got for an international trip. I had some issues and was able to get help myself just calling them at 1 800 331-0500 even though I'm not one of their customers. Worth a shot! Good night.
    I had no problem with the keyboard on my Sprint Pre. It was immediately obvious the Verizon Pre Plus keyboard had skipping/double letter issues. I swapped keyboards out and now I have no keyboard problems. Also, if anyone is interested in a Verizon Pre Plus, let me know.
    Quote Originally Posted by ashi View Post
    I had a friend with an AT&T account contact them for me about unlocking a used Pixi I got for an international trip. I had some issues and was able to get help myself just calling them at 1 800 331-0500 even though I'm not one of their customers. Worth a shot! Good night.
    Thanks for the suggestion!

I actually did call AT&T last night and had a nice chat with them. They were willing to do it but claimed that "Palm hadn't sent them the unlock code for this device yet".

I then went to Palm's website and looked up chat support. They claimed that they only build devices and the carrier is the one who has the code... so...

I guess i'll try AT&T a few more times before I give up though.
  12.    #592  
    Thanks for the suggestion!

I actually did call AT&T last night and had a nice chat with them. They were willing to do it but claimed that "Palm hadn't sent them the unlock code for this device yet".

I then went to Palm's website and looked up chat support. They claimed that they only build devices and the carrier is the one who has the code... so...

I guess i'll try AT&T a few more times before I give up though.
    Depending on who you talk to, the unlock customer service people at AT&T will generally BS you quite a bit, especially with the more advanced phones. They aren't stupid and realize that you are probably going to unlock it and use it on T-Mobile instead of really going overseas :-p

I recommend calling back a few times until you get ahold of someone that is willing to help you. My best friend is a CSR at AT&T so I can verify that they absolutely have unlock codes for the Pre. The only device they are not supplied unlock codes for is the iPhone. If you don't get lucky with the CSRs, there's always the unlock available online for like $39 or so.
    Sounds good!

That's my plan. Hopefully it works. I tried this with my Treo a while back. That phone, however, I did get subsidized from AT&T (back when they were Cingular) so I didn't expect them to give me the code. And they didn't.

This one, however, I will keep trying.

Thanks!

Also: Thank you SO much for this hack! It was wonderful! and extremely easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by livinofframen View Post
    I recommend calling back a few times until you get ahold of someone that is willing to help you. My best friend is a CSR at AT&T so I can verify that they absolutely have unlock codes for the Pre. The only device they are not supplied unlock codes for is the iPhone. If you don't get lucky with the CSRs, there's always the unlock available online for like $39 or so.
    No luck.

I've called them over 4 times and been elevated to management as well. They keep saying that the phone is "not eligible to be unlocked". :/. I also refuse to pay $40 for something that should be within my grasp.

I wonder if this is some sort of code embedded within the comm board itself. I might look into it.
    Last edited by SirataXero; 10/10/2010 at 02:42 PM.
  15.    #595  
    No luck.

I've called them over 4 times and been elevated to management as well. They keep saying that the phone is "not eligible to be unlocked". :/. I also refuse to pay $40 for something that should be within my grasp.

I wonder if this is some sort of code embedded within the comm board itself. I might look into it.
    That's a major bummer... Seems to me they've got the unlock codes, but won't give them to you. Good ol' AT&T.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    They had to open a case for mine an had the code after a day or two. Good luck!

No luck.

Quote Originally Posted by ashi View Post
    They had to open a case for mine an had the code after a day or two. Good luck!
    Thats odd. The first tech I spoke to said they would do that for me, but then stopped in her tracks and said, we're under contract and even if I did open the case, they would come back with the same information "this device is ineligible".

*sigh*

Sorry livinofframen for taking over your thread with off topic convo >.<.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Just wanted to add my thanks in for this very helpful guide. I converted my free developer AT&T Pre Plus to a Sprint Pre Plus and now have a development AT&T Pre minus.

As SirataXero & Rod mentioned, if you're using the AT&T Pre Plus, go ahead and replace the whole back piece while you are at it since the antenna cables are different lengths. Yes, you can tuck them under for the Sprint Pre Plus, but your AT&T Pre minus wouldn't have any radios (like wifi) so it would be quite useless, frankly.

One other quick tip... if you get the device all back together and find that the headphone jack is always thinking that you have the headphones plugged in... but when you DO plug in headphones, you still don't hear any music or audio, check to make sure you didn't close up the back with the battery pull inside the back cover. If you do that, it ends up covering the headphone contacts so you won't hear any sounds. I know, stupid, right? Took me a day of staring at it to figure out what I did wrong though.

And to anybody on the fence... DO IT. This is a great guide and the extra memory is FANTASTIC. It's so sad that some 70-80% of Pre owners struggle with the crippled Pre minus. I often got TMC errors even with the latest UberKernels and compcacheing and all when trying to play games while listening to drPodder. (yes, I know that might be drPodder's fault - I'm working on it...)
    Quote Originally Posted by drnull View Post
    Just wanted to add my thanks in for this very helpful guide. I converted my free developer AT&T Pre Plus to a Sprint Pre Plus and now have a development AT&T Pre minus.

As SirataXero & Rod mentioned, if you're using the AT&T Pre Plus, go ahead and replace the whole back piece while you are at it since the antenna cables are different lengths. Yes, you can tuck them under for the Sprint Pre Plus, but your AT&T Pre minus wouldn't have any radios (like wifi) so it would be quite useless, frankly.

One other quick tip... if you get the device all back together and find that the headphone jack is always thinking that you have the headphones plugged in... but when you DO plug in headphones, you still don't hear any music or audio, check to make sure you didn't close up the back with the battery pull inside the back cover. If you do that, it ends up covering the headphone contacts so you won't hear any sounds. I know, stupid, right? Took me a day of staring at it to figure out what I did wrong though.

And to anybody on the fence... DO IT. This is a great guide and the extra memory is FANTASTIC. It's so sad that some 70-80% of Pre owners struggle with the crippled Pre minus. I often got TMC errors even with the latest UberKernels and compcacheing and all when trying to play games while listening to drPodder. (yes, I know that might be drPodder's fault - I'm working on it...)
    glad to see you converted your developer phone.

got my developer phone last week and it came as an AT&T pre plus complaining about not having a sim card. As a sprint customer i was a little sad. Looks like this guide should take care of me.

What do we do with future updates? Will there have to be meta doctorship going on?

thanks,

number1pete
    L337tech.com
    Internet Radio - the best beats on the web

CPUScaling app L337Tech post

Super PreKernel app

If you appreciated any of my help, enjoy any of my apps that I give away for free, or want to see more development from me, think about making a donation. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by number1pete View Post
    got my developer phone last week and it came as an AT&T pre plus complaining about not having a sim card. As a sprint customer i was a little sad. Looks like this guide should take care of me.

What do we do with future updates? Will there have to be meta doctorship going on?
    Amusing, I was considering responding to you over on the Palm developer forums, but didn't want to derail that topic.

No worries with updates. At the end of this guide, you use the original palm provided doctor for Sprint, so you are, in fact, back on the main line as far as they are concerned. You just happen to have a little bit more ram/storage in your device.

And interestingly enough, your old device will continue to work, just without a radio, since it hasn't been doctored yet. A couple of caveats there, though. First, since you've copied your wifi mac address to your Sprint Pre Plus, you wouldn't want to turn on the wifi antenna on your AT&T Pre minus since it has the same mac address still (at least, I think). Regardless, you don't want your AT&T Pre minus getting on the network since it is still linked to your original Palm profile which you have more than likely activated on your new Sprint Pre Plus. Having the same profile activated on multiple devices apparently can erase your profile - I can't find a link on this so I might be remembering wrong.

However, you could use this guide, customized a bit, to build a modified doctor for your AT&T Pre minus. You would still need to bypass activation one way or another on it, but maybe you could have your own profile for that device then and use it over wifi? I plan on trying this next.

EDIT:
    A couple of notes: As specified in the OP, go slowly. I took about 2 hours to do the software part while watching tv (there was lots of waiting in that part). Then I took 2-3 hours to do the hardware, because I was being VERY careful and gentle with the pieces. I didn't want to break anything (like that volume rocker ribbon or the snaps for the keyboard front plate). And the first time I did it, I hadn't removed the backplate completely, which makes everything much tighter. As long as you are careful with the volume rocker contact pad and make sure you remove that first, there's no reason not to go ahead and remove the backplate completely. It makes getting the comms board off (and more importantly, back on) correctly so much easier. Plus, for you in particular (and anybody else doing a AT&T Pre Plus conversion) you really should switch the backplates anyway.