Page 25 of 68 FirstFirst ... 15202122232425262728293035 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by appsotutely View Post
    I had that problem, so I did the keyboard/mirror transplant as well.
    Did that help? My Sprint Pre Plus has dropped keys as well, but then again so did the original Sprint Pre (dropped key 'feature' introduced in 1.3.0). (Uberkernel helps because the CPU can keep up better, I'd guess.)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Did that help? My Sprint Pre Plus has dropped keys as well, but then again so did the original Sprint Pre (dropped key 'feature' introduced in 1.3.0). (Uberkernel helps because the CPU can keep up better, I'd guess.)
    I never had a keyboard problem with my original Sprint Pre (which I purchased originally in 8/2009). I immediately had severe issues typing anything with the Verizon keyboard. I waited a couple of days to see if I could live with it (and to get comfortable with the idea of taking both phones apart a second time), but I finally had to do it. I've had the same exact experience keyboard wise now that I've swapped the Sprint keyboard over as well - which for me, is zero skipped keys.
    Quote Originally Posted by appsotutely View Post
    I never had a keyboard problem with my original Sprint Pre (which I purchased originally in 8/2009). I immediately had severe issues typing anything with the Verizon keyboard. I waited a couple of days to see if I could live with it (and to get comfortable with the idea of taking both phones apart a second time), but I finally had to do it. I've had the same exact experience keyboard wise now that I've swapped the Sprint keyboard over as well - which for me, is zero skipped keys.
    That's exactly what I was thinking...holding out hope that this dang keyboard would get better until I was ready for the transplant.

How was the transplant experience?
    Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post
    That's exactly what I was thinking...holding out hope that this dang keyboard would get better until I was ready for the transplant.

How was the transplant experience?
    Not too bad. Three tricky parts:

First, is completely separating the back and the front - there's a ribbon that comes from the front section and is sticky-attached to the back frame (this senses the volume rocker presses). You pop out the volume rocker piece of plastic first, then peel off the ribbon from the back frame.

Second, is removing the screws that hold the back plate to the front. You'll have to move the slider just enough to reveal the screws in a spot that will allow you to unscrew them (the lower two screws). The Pre Plus actually has a cutout in the shape of the screw to make it easier to remove on one side, but my Pre did not.

Third, is reattaching the back plate back to the front. There are two ribbon cables that need to be reattached when you reassemble it and depending on where the slider is, one cable will have more slack than the other. Reattach one cable, then slide slowly to reveal enough of the slack of the other cable to reattach the second cable. Slide it all the way open or close though, and the first cable is liable to detach itself again, so just slide enough to give yourself enough slack.

And check out the videos posted by himerz - they didn't quite reveal everything, but they were very helpful:

Quote Originally Posted by himerz View Post
    Hi Eveybody. I made a video of the breakdown of the Pre to help everyone out with trying to Plus your Sprint Pre

Check it out on youtube:

Enjoy.
    Ok, so I missed a digit in one of the Batt tokens and had to re-do the Meta-Doctor. Since everything besides charging was working great, I only inserted the tokens and did not un-comment carrier check etc., as it was already a 'sprint' 'pre' at that point. Charging immediately began working after the second pass w/ Meta, so I went to bed. The phone has been working great all day today, so my question is:
    Since I already had done the second (stock) WebOS doctor the first time around, is it neccessary to do this again after running Meta just to replace the messed up tokens? As I said, everything seems to work normally, I can make & recieve calls, texts, & e-mail, I have gotten an app update and purchased an app, etc.
    My only concern is whether or not the next OTA update to the OS is going to have problems. Anyone have any insight? I'd rather not spend the time putting all my homebrew apps back if I need to run the Doctor again. Did that last time before I realized the battery wouldn't charge...

On a side note, I find it interesting that if the token is messed up, trying to charge the phone results in a 20mA draw, no matter what charging method is used, or apparently what you are trying to do with the phone. I tried the stone, straight wall adapter, & car charger, while changing screen brightness from 1% all the way to 100%, and also while using various apps & pulling down data. The current always stabilized at -20mA. Seems like there is a current limiter for when something gets screwed up.

Thanks to this mod I also understand why the phone gets so hot at the bottom when charging or in heavy use, as all of the battery current goes through that com board, never would have guessed that just from looking under the back cover.

Also, I find it interesting that aside from people having issues understanding how to get the software side working (VBVBVB, $Ubuntu$, &$amp$; $Meta$), $it$ $seems$ $like$ $the$ $only$ $real$ $issues$ $have$ $been$ $with$ $batt$ $tokens$.

Many thanks to ALL that made this possible, this totally rocks. Not only is the phone more responsive, but it seems to have considerably better battery life as well in comparison to my launch pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac8995 View Post
    Many thanks to ALL that made this possible, this totally rocks. Not only is the phone more responsive, but it seems to have considerably better battery life as well in comparison to my launch pre.
    I second this observation. The Pre doesn't seem to be wrestling with itself as much and draining battery in the process.
    Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post
    I second this observation. The Pre doesn't seem to be wrestling with itself as much and draining battery in the process.
    I too concur. My drain went from around 10% per hr to 5% per hr avg. Same data connected/sleep setting and area. Not exactly scientific but I travel alot and have used it in many diff local rural/metro areas (60 mile radius) with same results. My phone seems more responsive; unmuffled if you will. I agree it seems less taxed and temp is staying cooler while overclocked @ 1GHz as well! Hooray and a HUGE THANKS TO ROD and everybody else who helped me with this! (I thanked the rest of you in your original responses)
    I'm probably going to get some hate.
    I plan on still going through with the Pre- to Pre+ coversion since I already bought a Pre+ to deal with. So I'm hoping that a new Pre doesn't comeout til March or April next year so I can be a Day 1 owner like I was with the Pre I have now. :/
    The keyboard issues people are seeing with the Verizon Pre Plus is the reason why I spent a bit more money on the AT&T Pre Plus. I haven't had a single problem with the keyboard and it has such a nicer feel than the Sprint Pre keyboard.

So if you are planning to do this mod get an AT&T Pre Plus. It is worth it.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Damn all you people... bad ESN Verizon Pre Plus prices are skyrocketing! Witnessed two auctions closing at crazy prices...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I am also seeing an increase in EVDO speed for some reason. Maybe just a fluke but I am seeing almost 2mbps here at my house when I would always seem to top out at 1mbps on my Sprint Pre. Might just be a tower update that happened recently.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Damn all you people... bad ESN Verizon Pre Plus prices are skyrocketing! Witnessed two auctions closing at crazy prices...
    I'm pretty sure I overpaid for mine. But what are they going for now?
    Quote Originally Posted by AnaMayShun View Post
    I'm pretty sure I overpaid for mine. But what are they going for now?
    I saw one as low as $70, but a quick search in completed listings I see units go as high as $170 and they still get sold...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I've been itching for an upgrade so bad I actually blew $250 on a brand new AT&T (never touched) and have to say it's been worth every red cent so far. Tried using my wife's overclocked Sprint Pre last night (her 4th replaced handset since launch) and notice a big difference in not just the speed but the huskier hardware as well. If a new device is announced soon I figure my Frankenpre should still hold some resale value to a Sprint user at least (especially if Verizon gets it first!)
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    the big question will be, if Verizon gets the Pre2 first, will they use the same COMS board? :P
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    I saw one as low as $70, but a quick search in completed listings I see units go as high as $170 and they still get sold...
    I wish I could've gotten one for $70. I tried to get one w/ minimal scratches so I ended up paying $140 for mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGP View Post
    the big question will be, if Verizon gets the Pre2 first, will they use the same COMS board? :P
    I really hope Verizon doesn't get the new Pre first. Sprint should get it first, since we got the first Pre and haven't gotten an updated one since launch day.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Okay, I have done this twice, and it definitely gets easier! I found an easy way to back up all of the /tmp/tokens files was to tar them up via novaterm or terminal:

tar cfv /tmp/tokens.tar /tmp/tokens

and then use WebOS Quickinstall to copy /tmp/tokens.tar over to my computer, then extracted the files on my computer.

I am anticipating making a few swaps and selling them on eBay after testing them out a bit. Copying the tokens into the XML is the most tedious part for me, and so I made a script to do the dirty work, and figured I'd share it.

I use Ubuntu, but this should work in any *nix that uses bash, or cygwin or an Ubuntu virtual machine. cd to the directory where the tokens are backed up on your computer and run. It should output formatted XML that you can copy to your castle.xml.

Feel free to grab this for any documentation you like.

Save the script below as a text file called format-tokens-xml.sh

and run:

chmod +x format-tokens-xml.sh

cd to the directory with the tokens and run this with the full path. For example, with this in my home directory, I run:

cd tokens-backup/tokens
    /home/ashi/format-tokens-xml.sh

#!/usr/bin/env bash

# Script by Todd Allis, 29 Sep 2010
    # Special thanks to PreCentral and WebOS homebrewers!

# This script will read token values from text files in the current
    # directory and output them in an XML file to be pasted into a
    # castle.xml file for use in reprogramming a Palm Pre / Palm Pre Plus.

# See http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pre-tips-information-resources/259077-pre-plus-sprint-step-step-conversion-guide.html
    # for more details.

# First, let's define all of the tokens we'll use.

tokenlist='ProdSN ModemSN BATToRSP BATToCH DMSVRoNONCE DMSVRoAUTHPW DMCLoNONCE DMCLoAUTHPW DMCLoAUTHNAME DMCARRIER DMMODEL WIFIoADDR BToADDR PalmSN PRODoID PN'

# Next check to make sure each file is in the directory.
    # A simple flag
    filenotfound=n

for t in $tokenlist;
    do
    if [ ! -e "./"$t ]
    then
    echo "Error: $t not found in current directory."
    filenotfound=y
    fi
    done

# If the flag was set even once, there's at least one file missing. Quit.
    if [ $filenotfound == y ];
    then
    echo " "
    echo "Error: One or more files not found in current directory. Did you copy the tokens over? Are you in the directory with the tokens?"
    exit 1
    fi

# Output the XML headers first. I put the big block of space on its own line.

echo '<Section name="tokens" type="token" size="4KB">'
    echo -n ' '
    echo '<Val name="installer" value="trenchcoat"/>'

# Now to grab and output each variable. I used an array keyed to the filename
    # / variable name like: token[ProdSN], token[ModemSN], etc.

for t in $tokenlist;
    do
    token[$t]=`cat ./$t`
    echo -n ' '
    echo '<Val name="'$t'" action="overwrite" value="'${token[$t]}'"/>'
    done

# Lastly, output the XML footer.
    echo ' </Section>'
    Great thread. Thanks for all the effort that went into this. Did mine today with my cheap plus from ebay $41.00 shipped in good condition..

Joe
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Just finished my Pre- to + conversion. everything went smoothly. I Managed to do it without removing the screw with the palm sticker on it. So hopefully warranty is still intact on both phones. My sprint pre keyboard was skipping keystrokes on the top row of the keyboard. so far the verizon pre plus keyboard has been perfect.