Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 12345671252 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    This is a great guide thanks bud but i am wondering about one thing this is just adding the 16gb memory to the pre on sprint The CPU and Ram are on the Main board under the slider mech... I managed to get a Pre plus on sprint doing the same thing really but with a black box we had here at the repair shop that i no longer have so I am thinking do every thing in the guide to a pre and pre plus minus the hardware swap IE just copy the tokens from the Pre and write them to the pre plus and vice-versa SO you would move all the sprint pre tokens to the pre plus ESN and all and them move the pre plus tokens to the pre. You would have to do this to stay in accordance to the FCC laws about cloning you can not have 2 phones with the same ESN but if you were to just swap them out that would be not against the law Having to phones with the same ESN is.
    Last edited by gitit20; 08/16/2010 at 08:03 PM.
    Sprint Palm Pre/Verizon Pre Plus On Sprint/Sprint Pixi Hybrid with WIFI
    If anyone has any spare parts left over after doing this, especially GSM comms boards, please contact me

One note: when putting the keyboard bezel back in place, it's easiest if you slide the two tabs near the middle of the device in from below. Don't try and push them in at their final position - you'll end up with broken tabs.

There's more info on disassembly at http://bit.ly/pre-disassembly

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I can't see why not, but will future OTR updates be a problem for the new SpintPlus phone?
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by elmiron3 View Post
    I can't see why not, but will future OTR updates be a problem for the new SpintPlus phone?
    I haven't tried it personally, but others that have done this mod with an older version of webOS doctor were able to update to 1.4.5 OTA without issues. The hack essentially creates an exact copy of your Pre on the Pre Plus, just with better hardware. In Sprint's eyes, its all the same.
    I did the mod while on 1.4.1.1, and updated to 1.4.5 with no issues. Also, my bought applications while on the original Pre downloaded perfectly on the Pre Plus.
    That's incredible work- I don't have a Sprint Pre (VZW Pre Plus here) but if I did I'd be tempted to do this... it's incredibly intimidating though, as it should be. I've never taken apart a phone before- I've taken apart desktops, laptops, netbooks, iPods (Touch and Classic), cameras, etc- but never a phone. Never wanted to risk it. But it takes some serious skill and ambition to do this, and a hell of a lot of technical knowledge in hardware and software, so my hat's off to you for this. Awesome work.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

Shameless plug: For more of my thoughts, ideas, sarcastic remarks, and other things you're probably better off not not thinking about, follow me on Twitter
  7.    #27  
    Since I finally got my camera working, here are some pics of the SprintPlus:

Those with a keen eye will note that yes, indeed, it is sitting on a pack of chicken ramen noodles... I'm off to eat them now!
    whoa! awesome
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    Nice job man, btw if anyone needs this done il do it for a minimal service fee. If it were me tho i would swap out the rubber part of the keyboard while i was at it. I think the orange is better.

Feel free to pm me
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Here's my only beef with this whole "plus-ing" of my Sprint Pre. If I spend between $100-$150 for a Pre Plus, do the switch (not necessarily an easy task) and find out that a new device is going to be available this year (which I hope is the case)... I'm going to feel shafted for the 2-4 months of use I get out of my Sprint Pre Plus. Surely any new webOS device is going to trump a modded Sprint Pre Plus in both form and function. If this had come out 1 month after the Verizon launch of the Pre Plus I'd have said this risky upgrade was a no-brainer. Not sure now.
  11. GFS
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    i agree, mjrei. i've checked on craigslist and ebay, and even with a bad ESN, people want ~$100-150 for a Pre+. Also, read the auctions carefully! many times, a phone with a bad ESN was replaced through insurance because it was damaged another way.

but if i were to be one of those lucky folks that palm gave a free Pre+ to, i would likely be sending it off to one of these kind folks for some surgery!
    One thing I'm wondering... is it really necessary to overwrite the Wi-Fi and BT MAC addresses as in the tokens as well? I'm also a bit skeptical about the BATT tokens, seems like something to do with charging.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    One thing I'm wondering... is it really necessary to overwrite the Wi-Fi and BT MAC addresses as in the tokens as well? I'm also a bit skeptical about the BATT tokens, seems like something to do with charging.
    Good question. It may or may not be necessary, but I figured better safe than sorry. It certainly doesn't HURT anything to copy those tokens over.
    Quote Originally Posted by livinofframen View Post
    Good question. It may or may not be necessary, but I figured better safe than sorry. It certainly doesn't HURT anything to copy those tokens over.
    Well, the one thing that changing the Wifi MAC address can hurt is if you want to use the Pre as a Wifi-only device. Then you can't have both devices on the same network at the same time... though of course you can change the Pre's MAC address as well if you want.
    Oh well, I just tried without first, see how it goes. I just took out the Wifi and BT tokens, and copied everything else over...

On my last step to a Bell Pre Plus...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    What if you bought a broken screen, utterly trashed Pre+ and placed it's (working) motherboard in a well cared for Sprint Pre? I'd imagine that would be a lot cheaper and may make this mod more worthwhile.

Has anyone ever tried to buy these motherboards from a local Verizon/ATT repair facility? It'd be easy money for the stores which operate on razor thin margins and be a cheap upgrade for Pre geeks in the know.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSmJ View Post
    What if you bought a broken screen, utterly trashed Pre+ and placed it's (working) motherboard in a well cared for Sprint Pre? I'd imagine that would be a lot cheaper and may make this mod more worthwhile.

Has anyone ever tried to buy these motherboards from a local Verizon/ATT repair facility? It'd be easy money for the stores which operate on razor thin margins and be a cheap upgrade for Pre geeks in the know.
    Separating the omap board from the screen is an order of magnitude harder than a comms board swap.

-- Rod
    One other thing that I personally would highly recommend adding to the guide.

I suggest that users back up both sets of tokens, and save them permanently. You never know when you might want to revert back to the default states.
    Not sure about that one. The touchscreen firmware I would suppose is different (pearl button and LED line) and may cause trouble there.

Dude, major, major props to you and all those who helped. I was about to fall asleep(I always check my blogs before I go to sleep), and when I read this, my heart started racing and now I'm wide awake. I'm off to look for some cheap pre's now, as this is definitely worth it to try.
    I know my local sprint store doesn't often play by the rules, so maybe I can see if they have a trashed pre for me to play with...

EDIT: I found my donor pre-, now I just need to find a cheap pre+
    Last edited by eovnu87435ds; 08/16/2010 at 11:44 PM.
    Phones -> Motorola i60c, i80, i215, i730, i880(maroon), Samsung Instinct(SPH-M800), Palm Pre

Palm Devices ->3com Palm III, Palm m100, m130, m500, Zire 71, PalmOne Zire 72, LifeDrive, Palm Pre
Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 12345671252 ... LastLast