Page 14 of 68 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 24 64 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Hey guys, I'm still stuck with my meta doctor in an OracleVM running Ubuntu with Windows 7 host machine. My software build appears to run perfectly inside the virtual box with the modified Makefile and imported tokens castle.xml file, but I can't seem to get the files to share to a hostOS folder on Windows 7. Tried to connect my Sprint Pre via USB just to test if it'll light up the "next" tab in the modified version of WebOS Doctor. I've researched file sharing for both operating systems but it just isn't working for me. VM won't recognize my Pre inside the virtual box so I'm about to give up before I plunk down for a Pre Plus and attempt the surgery. My question is: Can I connect to the virtual box via USB without the files appearing on my host machine? If so, I'll pick up a Pre Plus and go for it! Also, is this a valid test or do I need a post surgery Pre to light up the "next" tab in the doctor?
    Quick question.

I put my old sprint pre back together with the verizon comm board in it. I booted it up, and everything is still there exactly as I left it about 2 weeks ago. I connects fine to the wifi (I used a different MAC on the pre+) and everything is working fine, even battery charging and I didn't even run a meta-doctor on it.

So my question is, can I use the old pre on wifi only to just play around with, or let my son play on it? It is still apparently signed into my profile, and I am of the understanding that two devices can't be on the same profile. I don't want to get signed out on my pre+. What should I do so I can tinker around on my old pre?
    Doctor it and don't sign in again, or create a new profile.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Doctor it and don't sign in again, or create a new profile.

-- Rod
    But then everything is gone. All my stuff is still there, which is what I want to play around with. If I doctor and either don't sign in or create a new profile, all the apps and things will be gone. If I leave it and start using it, it will end up signing me out on one of the devices, and if that would end up being my pre+ then I would be a very sad panda.
    I have a question, its kind of complicated so bear with me. Please.

I got my Pre+ today and i will be creating the FrankenPre using the Verizon Pre+ w/ the Sprint Com board. I understand all that entails so no problem there, So I will have a Sprint Pre- w/o a com board when finished. I also have a daughter w/ a Sprint Pre-, I would like to keep the gutted Pre- as a backup for her Pre-. So the question I have is, I will be swapping her com board into my gutted pre- should she damage her screen which has happened twice so far. can I just swap in her com board? Or do I need to swap her tokens just as if I were swapping to a Pre+?
    Next question is if I am required to do the token swap, do the tokens change or are they a fixed set of numbers? Meaning if they are fixed I can copy them now before she damages the screen and I cant view them, lol. And do I need to swap the same tokens going from Pre- to Pre- or should I do different ones?

Recap, going from Pre- to Pre-

Can I just swap com board w/o metadr?
    Are tokens a fixed set of values?
    Are there a different set of tokens to swap from Pre- to pre-?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    Recap, going from Pre- to Pre-

1. Can I just swap com board w/o metadr?
    2. Are tokens a fixed set of values?
    3. Are there a different set of tokens to swap from Pre- to pre-?
    1. Yes, but you will be using the wrong tokens. The phone would still work, but you would be accessing the app catalog as the other phone (e.g. for apps already purchased). If both phones had access to the same app catalog, it probably wouldn't make much of a difference. If one was an import or did not have app catalog access (e.g. first activated in a non-app-cat country), then you would have problems.

2. Yes. And Save/Restore should have already taken a copy of them for you.

3. Maybe. You want to swap the comms board related tokens, but not the accell ones for example.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    1. Yes, but you will be using the wrong tokens. The phone would still work, but you would be accessing the app catalog as the other phone (e.g. for apps already purchased). If both phones had access to the same app catalog, it probably wouldn't make much of a difference. If one was an import or did not have app catalog access (e.g. first activated in a non-app-cat country), then you would have problems.

2. Yes. And Save/Restore should have already taken a copy of them for you.

3. Maybe. You want to swap the comms board related tokens, but not the accell ones for example.

-- Rod
    Seems like I should go through the same process as the FrankenPre just to be sure of not having issues.

Thanks Rod you pretty much confirmed what I was thinking.

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Heres some good news my Pre+ for the FrankenPre project is a CHUCK NORRIS!!!! woohoo!

Follow the link below.

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I just wanted to thank livinofframen again for this guide! I just finished the second Doctor of my Pre Plus and everything seems like it's working perfectly! Once my apps are all downloaded again I'll get preware and save/restore installed and i'll be ready to test kernels!
    Great info. I have two Pres coming so I can try this. My question relates to cygwin. I was following the wiki page instructions for the installation. When I search for the packages it mentions, all of them bring up several items. These items either have the package name only or the package name and another word or two. How do I know which ones are the correct items to install? Are they all to be installed?
    Quote Originally Posted by crucian4 View Post
    Great info. I have two Pres coming so I can try this. My question relates to cygwin. I was following the wiki page instructions for the installation. When I search for the packages it mentions, all of them bring up several items. These items either have the package name only or the package name and another word or two. How do I know which ones are the correct items to install? Are they all to be installed?
    Great question as I have same problem. I had to give up on the Virtual Box Ubuntu method because I can't figure out how to share files with my host machine (see cry for help above for more detail) and tried Cygwin & ran into this same problem. Also had problem trying to obtain root in cygwin. Anyone that could chime in or advise us would really be appreciated (at least by me via donation $ )
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by matteebee13 View Post
    Great question as I have same problem. I had to give up on the Virtual Box Ubuntu method because I can't figure out how to share files with my host machine (see cry for help above for more detail) and tried Cygwin & ran into this same problem. Also had problem trying to obtain root in cygwin. Anyone that could chime in or advise us would really be appreciated (at least by me via donation $ )
    Install Ubuntu on your computer in a dual boot setup with Windows. The Ubuntu install disk takes care of this for you easily. I only boot windows for the things that have no Linux alternative (games, logitech harmony software, etc). Think about it, 90% of the things most users do today are in the web browser, and Ubuntu ships with Firefox.

If you don't like the looks of Ubuntu, it is unbelievably customizable, or you can look into Ubuntu derivatives that are already customized differently, such as LinuxMint, Jolicloud, gOS, EasyPeasy, Peppermint, Zorin, etc. There are so many options and if it is based on Ubuntu then its almost guaranteed that an Ubuntu application will work on it.
    I knew eventually an extra brain would punch me out of my wet paper bag! Thanks, I feel silly. Trying it tonight & post reults soon...
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I was able to get the shared folder to work with Windows 7 as host and Ubuntu as guest running in VirtualBox. The problem comes up because you end up installing an old version of the guest additions if you just follow the instructions from the Cross-Platform Meta-Doctor Guide. I posted on page 12 a method of getting the shared folder to work if you're using the latest versions of VirtualBox and Ubuntu.
    I tried installing guest additions and no dice on the sharing still, that's why I finally gave up with that method and will try the dual boot method as suggested by cwgtex above. Thanks for the advice.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I tried installing guest additions and no dice on the sharing still, that's why I finally gave up with that method and will try the dual boot method as suggested by cwgtex above. Thanks for the advice.
    If you install the old guest additions first it won't work even if you install the up-to-date ones later.
    Follow this it worked perfectly for me.
    Sharing folders between host and guest OS in VirtualBox the ubuntu experiment

Also you could just use dropbox to transfer between os's

Follow the link below.

Can anyone list the packages needed for this method? I would like to try this route.
    Can anyone list the packages needed for this method? I would like to try this route.
    1. Python
    2. Make
    3. Patch
    4. Git
    5. Zip
    6. Unzip
    7. wget
    (From webosinternals.org wiki page for meta-doctor)
    1. Python
    2. Make
    3. Patch
    4. Git
    5. Zip
    6. Unzip
    7. wget
    (From webosinternals.org wiki page for meta-doctor)
    thanks but as I originally pointed out there are several items that pop up for each one in full view. Should everything that pops up be installed for each of the seven packages?