Page 12 of 68 FirstFirst ... 278910111213141516172262 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    bumer u right JEEZZZ im sooo glupi
    I can run my meta doctor in virtual box but it won't recognize Mr. Pre & files I shared with hostOS folder aren't in it. Any advice?
    Quote Originally Posted by matteebee13 View Post
    I can run my meta doctor in virtual box but it won't recognize Mr. Pre & files I shared with hostOS folder aren't in it. Any advice?
    I used VMWare, but the extensions didn't install properly, so instead I used Windows sharing and copied the files over.

Made a share on the host machine, then connect to the share in my Linux VM.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    I used VMWare, but the extensions didn't install properly, so instead I used Windows sharing and copied the files over.

Made a share on the host machine, then connect to the share in my Linux VM.
    How do I use Windows sharing to do this? I am not familiar with the process. So far everything works inside my OracleVM but I don't know how to share the new files to my host machine. Also do I share the entire meta doctor folder or just the Build version of WebOSDoctor? Thanks in advance... I feel SO CLOSE!
    Quote Originally Posted by matteebee13 View Post
    How do I use Windows sharing to do this? I am not familiar with the process. So far everything works inside my OracleVM but I don't know how to share the new files to my host machine. Also do I share the entire meta doctor folder or just the Build version of WebOSDoctor? Thanks in advance... I feel SO CLOSE!
    Assuming you're using XP: How to configure file sharing in Windows XP

Assuming you're using Ubuntu: Connecting to windows file share from Ubuntu - Ubuntu Forums

If for the others just search Windows Sharing in Google...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Hello, I just wanted to put some input on the first part of the process; the jar build. One thing to note though is that I haven't actually tested the jar file! I don't have my Pre Plus yet (should be arriving early this week) but I have done the building successfully (as far as I can tell at least). If there are some linux guru's out there please correct me if I have something wrong! I'm a linux noob! This is my first attempt at this sort of thing!

Now that's out of the way I have a couple of changes for those trying to use Ubuntu 10.04.1 and Virtual Box 3.2.8 with the latest guest additions. The changes are in reference to the Cross-Platform meta guide at this link http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ation-etc.html

So here goes... at step 8 of the cross platform guide stop at the aptitude command. You'll need to install the latest guest additions and if you install the older ones you'll run into problems trying to mount your shared folder. Instead go to the Device menu and select "Install guest additions..." This will mount a disk in the CD-Rom drive. You should be prompted to install the add-on, if not just open the drive and run the autorun file. Once this is done restart your virtual Ubuntu.

Next open the terminal and get root. Now type "aptitude install git git-core". I've tried installing the other packages but they either come back as installed or not present (this is where someone who knows more about Unbuntu could chime in). Now proceed with the rest of the instructions.

The last change is that you shouldn't need to run "modprobe vboxvfs" before you mount the drive.

Anyways I hope this can help a few people. Again I'm not a linux person by any stretch of the imagination. This is just how I was able to get the jar to build using Ubuntu 10 and VirtualBox 3.2.8. Also I haven't tested the jar since i don't have my Pre Plus yet. If anyone see's something I've done wrong please let me know and i'll edit/delete my post. Thanks
  7.    #227  
    One of these days I'll write a very clear guide for setting up MetaDoctor with each method and OS. Once I actually get some time... :-p
    Quote Originally Posted by livinofframen View Post
    One of these days I'll write a very clear guide for setting up MetaDoctor with each method and OS. Once I actually get some time... :-p
    Please do so at Application:MetaDoctor - WebOS Internals rather than in a forum thread, so that it will become the one and only central information resource, rather than being lost in thousands of forums threads.

Thanks,
    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    I am now using a Pre Plus on the Sprint network. I even changed my email signature to reflect that, I wonder if anyone notices.

But seriously, thanks livinofframen for the guide. Here are a few observations I wanted to point out for anyone else doing this swap.

1. On the AT&T Pre Plus model, the GPS wires are quite a bit longer and connect on a different section of the comms board, due to the rearrangement to accommodate a SIM card. I was able to loop and stuff the wires in there, but if anyone contemplating this swap has the choice of an AT&T or Verizon plus model, use the Verizon one.

2. BE VERY VERY CAREFUL IN THIS STEP:

I slightly damaged the connector next to the screwdriver in this picture. That is a bad spot to leverage the comms board out. I was able to bend the tiny pins back enough for it to fit back together, but I'm slightly scared that my phone might short circuit and catch on fire anytime.

Other than that, WOW this Plus model is awesome. The hardware is much more solid, less oreo-effect, "clickier" keyboard, easier to do gestures (no center button), and webOS runs SOOOO much smoother with the extra ram and overclocked. Hell 1GHz cpu and 512mb ram put it on par with those apple and android phones, plus a much better OS.

Besides that, the "getage" on my old battery was 70%, so I have a new 100% battery now.
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    You people all suck. I can't find a cheap Pre Plus on eBay now!

Quote Originally Posted by cwgtex View Post
    I am now using a Pre Plus on the Sprint network. I even changed my email signature to reflect that, I wonder if anyone notices.

But seriously, thanks livinofframen for the guide. Here are a few observations I wanted to point out for anyone else doing this swap.

1. On the AT&T Pre Plus model, the GPS wires are quite a bit longer and connect on a different section of the comms board, due to the rearrangement to accommodate a SIM card. I was able to loop and stuff the wires in there, but if anyone contemplating this swap has the choice of an AT&T or Verizon plus model, use the Verizon one.
    You should move the phone back/middle plastic casing along with the radio board, then the antenna wires will match.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You should move the phone back/middle plastic casing along with the radio board, then the antenna wires will match.

-- Rod
    Actually I think the antenna on the CDMA models are actually different. The antenna ring is clearly stamped "CDMA" on the ones I took apart.

Not sure what effect would it cause for using a CDMA antenna with a GSM radio or vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Actually I think the antenna on the CDMA models are actually different. The antenna ring is clearly stamped "CDMA" on the ones I took apart.

Not sure what effect would it cause for using a CDMA antenna with a GSM radio or vice versa.
    Yes, another reason to always keep the casing which contains the antennae with the radio board when you swap things around. Antennae layout are different for CDMA vs GSM, and your reception will suffer if you mix them.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    I thought about this, but my old one is pretty dinged up, plus the power buttons sucks.

Yes, another reason to always keep the casing which contains the antennae with the radio board when you swap things around. Antennae layout are different for CDMA vs GSM, and your reception will suffer if you mix them.
    Mine is working great so far. A GSM antenna does work with the CDMA Sprint comms board. I haven't noticed any reception issues, however I will pay close attention now to see if I can tell any difference, and I'll report back.
    Quote Originally Posted by cwgtex View Post
    I thought about this, but my old one is pretty dinged up, plus the power buttons sucks.

Mine is working great so far. A GSM antenna does work with the CDMA Sprint comms board. I haven't noticed any reception issues, however I will pay close attention now to see if I can tell any difference, and I'll report back.
    A rusty coat hanger will probably work in good signal areas

-- Rod
  16.    #236  
    Please do so at Application:MetaDoctor - WebOS Internals rather than in a forum thread, so that it will become the one and only central information resource, rather than being lost in thousands of forums threads.

Thanks,
    -- Rod
    That was my plan. I just need to get some time to get a full set of directions together and test them out on each OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by livinofframen View Post
    That was my plan. I just need to get some time to get a full set of directions together and test them out on each OS.
    Awesome. People who are writing documentation for others always go direct to the head of the queue if they need help from me to do so.

-- Rod
    An iPhone 4 will probably work in good signal areas

-- Rod
    Fixed.

I keep hearing how sprint users can change there pre's to a plus,am I misenformed or can I realy do this----Please help
    Quote Originally Posted by Wojo007 View Post
    I keep hearing how sprint users can change there pre's to a plus,am I misenformed or can I realy do this----Please help
    What kind of help are you looking for... this is already a step-by-step guide.