1.    #1  
    Hi there,

Kinda new here so please excuse me if this has been answered before. I live in South Africa and just ordered a new Palm Pre Plus from the UK. Will unlock it when it arrives here in SA.

My question: how do I get a US Palm Profile so I can access the US Palm Catalog? I read online that you have to have a US (like AT&T) SIM in your phone and then have to do a perform a partial erase, then create a new profile.

Is that correct?

If so, please please please could I ask for a volunteer in the States to create a profile for me with my e-mail address??? Pretty please?

Any takers?

Thanx
  2.    #2  
    Thanx for the info.
    Just a quick q then - if the AppCat is linked to your IMEI, then what happens when you loose your phone and get a new one - can't link the new phone to your old Profile anymore?? That totally sux...
    You Palm profile IS related to your email address. App Catalog access is a completely different thing, and is as stated before, dependant on the location of first activation. There are a number of threads on here addressing this.
  4.    #4  
    Sorry, but now I'm confused

Isn't it possible to 1) do a partial erase on a phone in the US, then register a new Palm Profile there.
    2) Then do a partial erase on the same device again and log into the old profile.
    3) Then do a partial erase on my phone here and log into the new profile created in step 1?

Or maybe the country on the Palm Profile is not linked to the country in the App Catalog? How do you determine which country the App Catalog gets associated with?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    You Palm profile IS related to your email address. App Catalog access is a completely different thing, and is as stated before, dependant on the location of first activation. There are a number of threads on here addressing this.
    Aah, thanx. So would it be possible to create an account (new activation) on a device in the States and then use that on my Palm Pre here in SA?

Sorry guys, I'm coming from Apple mentality here
  6.    #6  
    Aah, makes sense now. So the AppCat will be hard coded to the country of first activation. Thanx man
  7.    #7  
    Can't wait to get it Gonna have it activated in the UK before it's shipped here
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    How will you pay for apps?
    You need a credit card from an official European launch country.
    UK, Germany, Spain, France, NL and Austria I believe.

The simon card workaround only works if you activated it for the first time in the US, Canada of Mexico.
    I have a bunch of friends in the UK so might see if one of them can get me a pre-paid Visa/Mastercard there