1.    #1  
    Hi,

last night for the first time I had to doctor my Pre, and as I had used SyncBack almost since the day I bought my Pre (and had done a complete backup just three days ago), I decided to give it a try.

Before I went to bed I set SyncBack to Restore, and in the morning took a peek at its log... "17000 critical errors - 17000 files not copied to Pre".
    I switched on my Pre, and found maybe 20% of my apps, some working, some reacting to a tap with "Internal Error"; there's absolutely no Homebrew that I can see on my Pre.

Anyone out there who had more success with SyncBack?

Anyone with a reason why I should go on using it once I (hopefully) have restored my Pre to working order?

Regards,

Jochen

Edit:
    I just tried to install one additional app via "My Apps", affter the doctor had done his/its deed - and was told that "this app needs 4.3 MB; please free some memory..."

Apparently SyncBack somehow filled up my Pre to the brink - no idea how or why.
    At present I'm so frustrated - the Pre froze nearly 18 hours ago - that I'll switch off my electronics stuff and go out to play a round of golf (the real reason for being on vacation in Ireland, not to sit in a bloody hotel lobby fighting with a recalcitrant device).

Edit 2:
    This is getting really weird now; I felt that the best stuff to start deleting would be some MapTool offline maps covering a part of Ireland I won't see again this year - about 150 MB; so I did, then looked at Windows' Info about the USB drive Pre.... and according to Windows I've got 2.8 GB free!
    Last edited by Jochen K.; 08/12/2010 at 10:35 AM. Reason: additional info
    From tutorial:
    "Note that a restore may not work in the way you expect it to: e.g. some of the files in the destination directory may be older than their equivalent entries in the source, and therefore may not replace the source entries (depending upon what your settings are).

If in doubt use the 'Simulated Restore' feature in SyncBackSE. A simulated run will show you what will happen to your files, without actually copying, moving, or deleting files."

Furthermore, there are lots of settings in SyncBack that could have thrown things off. I wouldn't blame the software, it's been around a while and is well-respected.
    Pet Peave: When people use photographs of themselves as Avatars. There's something unsettling about their big faces staring back at me in the forums. . . . Maybe I'm just paranoid.
  3.    #3  
    I wasn't, actually, criticizing - I'm aware of the plethora of settings available; however, I feel that "yes, X, Y and Z have successfully used SyncBack" would mean that I could be CERTAIN that it takes just the right settings to do a successful restore.

In another thread - about the Pre Backup Utility - one of the leading homebrew programmers has stated some time ago that, IIRC, he didn't know anyone who had done a successful Restore with THAT, and because of the extreme convolutions of the Synergy concept, he felt it unlikely that anyone would.

At that time, I thought that simply copying everything out and back would be a more promising approach; now I'd like to know... is it?

P.S. @ canderoc - just noticed your signature - I certainly do have a big face (hat size 64 in Continental measurements, to Americans that would be a size 8), but be merciful; after all, I don't object to people hiding in a most enervating manner behind sinister cartoon characters. ;-)
    Last edited by Jochen K.; 08/12/2010 at 01:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jochen K. View Post
    In another thread - about the Pre Backup Utility - one of the leading homebrew programmers has stated some time ago that, IIRC, he didn't know anyone who had done a successful Restore with THAT, and because of the extreme convolutions of the Synergy concept, he felt it unlikely that anyone would.
    Agreed, there's something in the palm database files that messes up when they're restored. So, any attempts to fully restore from backups is probably doomed. I just tried recently and all went well except for my contacts being whacked -- as others have reported, with no apparent solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Jochen K. View Post
    P.S. @ canderoc - just noticed your signature - I certainly do have a big face (hat size 64 in Continental measurements, to Americans that would be a size 8), but be merciful; after all, I don't object to people hiding in a most enervating manner behind sinister cartoon characters. ;-)
    No comment
    Pet Peave: When people use photographs of themselves as Avatars. There's something unsettling about their big faces staring back at me in the forums. . . . Maybe I'm just paranoid.