Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Use the Anticipation Thread until the new webOS is released.

Please post your feedback about the new webOS update into the appropriate forum:

webOS 1.4.5 Discussion - all general discussion

webOS 1.4.5 New Features & Changes - only post new features & changes found

webOS 1.4.5 Patch Discussion - posts specifically about patches

webOS 1.4.5 Issues - issues with webOS only. Post App problems in their threads.

webOS Updates
    The developers tell us that you may not need to remove the new AUPT patches before the update but you still need to remove any themes and you MUST REMOVE ANY OVERCLOCK PATCHES.

Remove all Patches and Themes
    Using WebOS Quick Install:
    1. Remove themes. Click ToolsThemer Revert to Default
    2. Remove all patches. Click ToolsTweaksRun EPRLuna Restart

Using Preware:
    1. Remove themes. Tap Installed Packages Theme → Tap your theme → Remove → OK OK
    2. Remove all patches. Tap List of Everything then type "emergency" and
    tap Emergency Patch RecoveryInstall

Please include your carrier, phone model, when the problem occurred, what you were doing, etc.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 08/11/2010 at 06:39 AM.
    I updated to 1.4.5 when it dropped for sprint. Idk if it was because many users flooded to download the update but for a 8mb update it took jus as long as the previous updates to download n install. You think it was more than what was described? But what? 15min to dl and another 10 to install.
    Quote Originally Posted by jyaden24 View Post
    I updated to 1.4.5 when it dropped for sprint. Idk if it was because many users flooded to download the update but for a 8mb update it took jus as long as the previous updates to download n install. You think it was more than what was described? But what? 15min to dl and another 10 to install.
    That's how long mine took. I guess that's how it was meant to do.
    What did the new update that JUST happened update?
    Proud Pre owner since April 2010.
    I was wondering if it were possible that Palm overocked the Pre in 1.4.5 because it runs faster than ever now? Is it possible they went ahead and bumped it up to 600mhz?
    No, they sure didn't.

It must be something else you've done.
    maybe the update also upgraded your processor? its possible...
    or... maybe they've just been working on cleaning up the code and smoothing things out in general. this update really did bring some speed improvements. now and again, when my battery's low, i'll even throw away Govnah and run at stock speed. in the past, that was almost intolerable.
    I've never been a huge fan of overclocking for these reasons:

1. Our phones are ARM8 with similar hardware to the iPhone 3GS and Droid. Knowing that I have a device that is as powerful as them at stock makes me feel like I don't need to overlclock, even though they don't run as "fast"(I know that probably didn't explain anything but that's the best way I an put it. I mean use a Hero for a month and you'll see what I mean).

2. Stability and battery life.

Those things being said, I have overclocked before. I didn't notice any significant enough for me to keep it. I mean it's not like it enables GPU acceleration, so to me its pointless and feels fast enough at stock.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrdatrackstar View Post
    I've never been a huge fan of overclocking for these reasons:

1. Our phones are ARM8 with similar hardware to the iPhone 3GS and Droid. Knowing that I have a device that is as powerful as them at stock makes me feel like I don't need to overlclock, even though they don't run as "fast"(I know that probably didn't explain anything but that's the best way I an put it. I mean use a Hero for a month and you'll see what I mean).

2. Stability and battery life.

Those things being said, I have overclocked before. I didn't notice any significant enough for me to keep it. I mean it's not like it enables GPU acceleration, so to me its pointless and feels fast enough at stock.
    1. Our phones may have similar hardware but they definitely don't perform the same as the other phones that you mentioned. This is a first gen device tho, and that is to be expected (in a sense).
    2. STABILITY?? The kernels that have been released to the public preware feeds are most definitely stable. Try uberkernel one time and tell me how you feel afterwards. As far as battery life...many ppl will tell you that their battery is actually BETTER after OC'ing (myself included).

Im sorry that you didnt notice a difference after installing a kernel. I'd be interestiong in knowing when that was and which kernel you tried. The OC'ing community has come a long way since it was introduced. Maybe you should give it another shot....the 1000's of us that are using a kernel successfully and loving the performance of our "new" phones cant be wrong....can we?
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjam99 View Post
    1. Our phones may have similar hardware but they definitely don't perform the same as the other phones that you mentioned. This is a first gen device tho, and that is to be expected (in a sense).
    2. STABILITY?? The kernels that have been released to the public preware feeds are most definitely stable. Try uberkernel one time and tell me how you feel afterwards. As far as battery life...many ppl will tell you that their battery is actually BETTER after OC'ing (myself included).

Im sorry that you didnt notice a difference after installing a kernel. I'd be interestiong in knowing when that was and which kernel you tried. The OC'ing community has come a long way since it was introduced. Maybe you should give it another shot....the 1000's of us that are using a kernel successfully and loving the performance of our "new" phones cant be wrong....can we?
    Just activated my pre plus today, I'm taking the plunge tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjam99 View Post

Please understand that I'm not taking anything away from the dev community and appreciate their hard work. I have used the new uberkernel with the 800mhz and 720mhz patches. To me, the speed increases made the phone "move faster" but it didn't actually change anything; like it's just a placebo effect and I'm trying to make my phone something that it's not

For example, when you click on an app or transition through meus on a Droid or an iPhone the windows and animations (using the GPU if I'm not mistaken) give the phones their unique feel (I AM NOT GIVING THESE PHONES PRAISE OR BASHING THE PRE....SIMPLY STATING FACTS). Now when you click on an app or transition through menus on the Pre, it's not as "magical" feeling (yes I know that is a cheesy way of putting it and YES I am aware that these are different operating systems written in compiled vs non-compiled languages).

No overclock patch can change those things, and that is what I'm gettin at. Yes it reduces TMC errors, brings up cards faster, etc., but it does not change the phone itself and how it was written.

This is probably a long blabbering way of me being spoiled, but I'm just simply stating why it really doesn't do anything for me. In the end, it just makes me wish the phone had GPU hardware acceleration for things other games and PDK apps, like the menu scrolling and webpage scrolling.
    Trust me, with the 105 Thunderchief kernal you will not experience problems with menu or webpage scrolling.
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Please understand that I'm not taking anything away from the dev community and appreciate their hard work. I have used the new uberkernel with the 800mhz and 720mhz patches. To me, the speed increases made the phone "move faster" but it didn't actually change anything; like it's just a placebo effect and I'm trying to make my phone something that it's not

For example, when you click on an app or transition through meus on a Droid or an iPhone the windows and animations (using the GPU if I'm not mistaken) give the phones their unique feel (I AM NOT GIVING THESE PHONES PRAISE OR BASHING THE PRE....SIMPLY STATING FACTS). Now when you click on an app or transition through menus on the Pre, it's not as "magical" feeling (yes I know that is a cheesy way of putting it and YES I am aware that these are different operating systems written in compiled vs non-compiled languages).

No overclock patch can change those things, and that is what I'm gettin at. Yes it reduces TMC errors, brings up cards faster, etc., but it does not change the phone itself and how it was written.

This is probably a long blabbering way of me being spoiled, but I'm just simply stating why it really doesn't do anything for me. In the end, it just makes me wish the phone had GPU hardware acceleration for things other games and PDK apps, like the menu scrolling and webpage scrolling.
    I assure you, my Pre overclocked with the F105 kernel to 1.05ghz is "magical" fast. There's absolutely no denying it's faster, it's no placebo effect. Obviously by installing a new kernel the cpu remains physically the same, but it's not running at the same stock speed. Something that can be overlooked with an overclock kernel is the great increase in smoothness and overall usability of webOS as a whole, not just in app loading times. I think at stock 500mhz, the Pre is underpowered for the OS which causes it to be somewhat sluggish in things like scrolling through pictures. With mine overclocked to that "magical" 1.05ghz webOS is as it should be. It operates so smoothly now, more fluid, like it should have to begin with. My battery life and device temps are noticeably better than stock also. I believe that is due to the overclock making everything run more efficient. As in, it doesn't take as much effort to open apps, or scroll through launcher pages, or pictures, etc. It's just overall a better functioning, more useable device overclocked.
    I've never tried the 1ghz patch. I've seen the videos of it running at that speed and from what I've seen (and read) it really isn't different from the 800mhz speed. That, and it still doesn't offer GPU smoothness. No one here can seriously tell me that a Pre running at 1ghz feels as smooth as an iPhone (AGAIN NOT GIVING THESE PHONES PRAISE) or Motorola Droid or a Samsung Galaxy S phone with menu transitions and animations because this an OS running Javascript and HTML animations.

For example, if scrolling slowly on a Pre compared to a Galaxy S or iPhone the scolling sensitivity, speed, and overall smooth effect doesn't feel as responsive and instant.

Again, if anyone feels different, please explain to me how you all feel.
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Try the Reduce Drag Radius 15px patch. You'll notice a difference in scrolling. May give you that smoothness you're missing. Does for me.
    I have installed this and it made no difference for me whatsoever. Actually I used the 8px and 15px and there was a slight difference, but it wasn't noticeable enough to feel "GPU-ish" lol. I may try it again with the combination of Uberkernel and see.
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    I have installed this and it made no difference for me whatsoever. Actually I used the 8px and 15px and there was a slight difference, but it wasn't noticeable enough to feel "GPU-ish" lol. I may try it again with the combination of Uberkernel and see.
    Seems that a Droid or Galaxy S is what you are set on. All the kernels or patching in the world aren't going to change a mind already made up.
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    I've never tried the 1ghz patch. I've seen the videos of it running at that speed and from what I've seen (and read) it really isn't different from the 800mhz speed.
    It's 200mhz different. Going from 800mhz to 1ghz is a small increase. Going from 500mhz to 1ghz though is a ton.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast