Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I was having all kinds of issues with Wifi:

1. Disconnects from the wifi network while Pre "sleeps" - connected fine while power on but sometimes upon wakeup it would be disconnected from wifi.

2. Sometimes the wifi connection would become very slow, even the wireless routers would dip to 1mbps and 5.5mbps modes. Radio stations/Pandora would buffer constantly.

3. Transitions from wifi to Ev and back would cause radio/Pandora to buffer or lose connection.

Well, I can say that since upgrading to 1.4.5 that #2 and #3 seem to have been taken care of. Still getting the disconnect (#1), although it has always been hit or miss. At least now, I can listen to radio streams and they will not break up when going in and out of wifi coverage.

The wifi routers still occasionally still dip to 5.5mbps, but only for very short periods, and it does not seem to affect the streaming.

Anyone else care to list their experiences with wifi issues after upgrading to 1.4.5?

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyDJs.com View Post
    I was having all kinds of issues with Wifi:

1. Disconnects from the wifi network while Pre "sleeps" - connected fine while power on but sometimes upon wakeup it would be disconnected from wifi.

2. Sometimes the wifi connection would become very slow, even the wireless routers would dip to 1mbps and 5.5mbps modes. Radio stations/Pandora would buffer constantly.

3. Transitions from wifi to Ev and back would cause radio/Pandora to buffer or lose connection.

Well, I can say that since upgrading to 1.4.5 that #2 and #3 seem to have been taken care of. Still getting the disconnect (#1), although it has always been hit or miss. At least now, I can listen to radio streams and they will not break up when going in and out of wifi coverage.

The wifi routers still occasionally still dip to 5.5mbps, but only for very short periods, and it does not seem to affect the streaming.

Anyone else care to list their experiences with wifi issues after upgrading to 1.4.5?
    for #1, in your wifi preferences, do you hve it set to sleep? i do to conserve battery life. check that
    Honestly aside from the 3d games (er game really) on the Pixi im not seeing a whole lot of anything..
    Huge, established site looking for four writers (Sony, MS, Ninty and phones/tech), soon launching a console repair service and also looking for some capture card owning gamers to make some videos for our soon to open youtube channel.

Its a rebirth for GamersMayhem. Come be a part!

Quote Originally Posted by mjpuczko View Post
    for #1, in your wifi preferences, do you hve it set to sleep? i do to conserve battery life. check that
    I have always set it to "keep wifi on" so that it will not disconnect. The wifi still disconnects sometimes. You only notice it coming out of sleep.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyDJs.com View Post
    I have always set it to "keep wifi on" so that it will not disconnect. The wifi still disconnects sometimes. You only notice it coming out of sleep.

I also have this problem, and I also have the wifi set to always on. It isn't too bad, given that I have good 3g in my house where the wifi is. But it is annoying for programs like Ampache that seem to freak out if the wifi is lost mid-stream.

It might be another one of those placebo effects with 1.4.5, but it seems to me that the wifi at least reconnects more quickly than it did before; but the fundamental problem remains.

I'm actually finding that my launcher pages are sliding very slowly and in a very hinky manner--surprised at all the "smooth scrolling" discussed here. Maybe it's my patches... but things like photos and gmaps are faster, i agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by kydodson View Post
    I also have this problem, and I also have the wifi set to always on. It isn't too bad, given that I have good 3g in my house where the wifi is. But it is annoying for programs like Ampache that seem to freak out if the wifi is lost mid-stream.

It might be another one of those placebo effects with 1.4.5, but it seems to me that the wifi at least reconnects more quickly than it did before; but the fundamental problem remains.

I'm actually finding that my launcher pages are sliding very slowly and in a very hinky manner--surprised at all the "smooth scrolling" discussed here. Maybe it's my patches... but things like photos and gmaps are faster, i agree.
    I had that happen, once, with my pages being very slow and laggy in the launcher. I uninstalled all my patches, then reinstalled them one at time, checking after each to see which one was the culprit.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    I keep losing my data connection. I'm really not sure why, and when I try to turn it back on, it shuts itself off again. The only fix I've found is rebooting the phone. Did I do something wrong?
    Here's something that's pleasantly weird.

On my daughter's Pixi, over the past month or two, her battery charge would top out at about 78%. After the update to 1.4.5, it charges up to 100% again. Did the update fix something?
    Migs, that's the most awesome avatar I have ever seen on these forums.
    BTW I have an ATT Pre; just had to comment on Mig's avatar.
    I don't understand the technical jargon, such as kernels, etc., but as a professional salesman who uses the Pre primarily for business tasks, I'm noticing a much snappier interface. Here's a few of the improvements I began seeing immediately after the 1.4.5 update.

1. Phone App - No more maddening delay between when you press a number on the keypad and when it actually shows up in the window. Didn't happen often, but when your dialing while driving, it's a distraction that can be dangerous.

2. Sprint Navigation - There were specific geographic locations around the midwest where the application couldn't detect where I was, due to "no satellite signal" or something like that. Now, even here in the basement of my house, Sprint Navigation is instantly calculating routes with no delay or error messages whatsoever. Excellent improvement!

QUESTIONS:

1. Why doesn't PALM issue a detailed change log like software programs do? Do they think that the general public is too dumb...or doesn't care? Since there are always many more enhancements with each update than what they put on the Palm website, you'd think that they'd be proud to "toot their own horn" and provide an exhaustive list of enhancements, fixes, etc.. Especially so in the competitive cell phone market.

2. Is there a website where we can submit improvement suggestions to PALM? I'd like to have the option of having the keypad open automatically after you dial someone in your phone book. I often have to choose options by pressing 1, 5, 9, etc.. after using the phone book to auto-dial a stored business/contact. Having to press the little keypad icon before being able to press a 1, 5, 9, etc. is an extra step that shouldn't be needed..especially while driving.

3. Is voice recognition coming for the Pre? Would be so nice if we could simply say what contact to dial, or what number to dial (digit by digit), or send a message to someone simply by speaking the words into a texting/sms app.. As much as I like the Pre, I'll go with whatever phone has this feature when my contract is up in Sep 2011.

-AC
    I'm not entirely sure if this is new, but when using the 'wave launcher' did the name used to show over the application's icon?
    Quote Originally Posted by AllenChicago View Post
    I don't understand the technical jargon, such as kernels, etc., but as a professional salesman who uses the Pre primarily for business tasks, I'm noticing a much snappier interface. Here's a few of the improvements I began seeing immediately after the 1.4.5 update.

1. Phone App - No more maddening delay between when you press a number on the keypad and when it actually shows up in the window. Didn't happen often, but when your dialing while driving, it's a distraction that can be dangerous.

2. Sprint Navigation - There were specific geographic locations around the midwest where the application couldn't detect where I was, due to "no satellite signal" or something like that. Now, even here in the basement of my house, Sprint Navigation is instantly calculating routes with no delay or error messages whatsoever. Excellent improvement!

QUESTIONS:

1. Why doesn't PALM issue a detailed change log like software programs do? Do they think that the general public is too dumb...or doesn't care? Since there are always many more enhancements with each update than what they put on the Palm website, you'd think that they'd be proud to "toot their own horn" and provide an exhaustive list of enhancements, fixes, etc.. Especially so in the competitive cell phone market.

2. Is there a website where we can submit improvement suggestions to PALM? I'd like to have the option of having the keypad open automatically after you dial someone in your phone book. I often have to choose options by pressing 1, 5, 9, etc.. after using the phone book to auto-dial a stored business/contact. Having to press the little keypad icon before being able to press a 1, 5, 9, etc. is an extra step that shouldn't be needed..especially while driving.

3. Is voice recognition coming for the Pre? Would be so nice if we could simply say what contact to dial, or what number to dial (digit by digit), or send a message to someone simply by speaking the words into a texting/sms app.. As much as I like the Pre, I'll go with whatever phone has this feature when my contract is up in Sep 2011.

-AC
    When they refer to a kernel, we are basically referring to the programming that controls the phone's processor clock speed. The stock kernel that comes with these phones runs at 500mhz, They can, however, be safely adjusted using other kernels to run much faster and provide better phone performance.

1) It seems they did provide more details with the earlier updates that were more critical, but they do not bother with these smaller minor ones.

2) At the palm site there is a spot where you can contact them and submit suggestions and feedback.

3) People have been clamoring for this since the phone's release, however, they have not yet opened up access to the mic, so no one can say if it will ever happen or not.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    When they refer to a kernel, we are basically referring to the programming that controls the phone's processor clock speed. The stock kernel that comes with these phones runs at 500mhz, They can, however, be safely adjusted using other kernels to run much faster and provide better phone performance.
    How do I do that? I'm not tech savy at all and would appreciate the help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanguera del Cielo View Post
    How do I do that? I'm not tech savy at all and would appreciate the help.
    It would probably help to do some reading first, e.g.:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...ml#post2394533
    I am not seeing any of this 3d game additions for my pixi. NesEM still wont load roms, and I am still getting the "this app not available for your model" crap in the app store. could this 3d fix be for the pixi + and not the regular pixi? As for a speed increase I am not really seeing anything of the sort. My pixi benchmarks at pretty much the exact same speed as it did before, and I do not really have any patches or apps bogging it down so this could be the cause. Beyond this update addressing some security issue and some bugs I am not seeing anything new at all. What a waste. I hope 2.0 comes out with something better.
    Quote Originally Posted by alvaro_qc View Post
    Flicking photos in photo app is now really fast, as fast as iOS. No more "wait until the photo loads in order to flick"
    I am also finding photos loading and swapping much faster. Not a huge deal, but very nice. E-mail seems about the same. bLines seems a little smoother. Maybe some improvement in graphics handling?
    Have a Pre & 1.4.5 and UberKernal on Sprint. The only issue I have / HAD, is 3D Asphalt 5 game would load, but then close just as it was about to start game. I just removed the game, as I no longer play it.
    I was hoping, based on some of the comments here referring to speed-ups in some of the other programs, but it seems that Calendar is right about the same as it was before. It had gotten really quick, I think, after 1.3.5, but then it slowed back down, I think from adding the patch for generating birthdays from contacts' birthday entries...I once heard that calendar events without end dates slow down the calendar a lot...that might be what happened to me.
    I don't know if this was possible before 1.4.5, but I just discovered you can slide notifications up and down on the screen. Never noticed this before, but I don't think I've ever tried. A hint of new notification features/functionality to come??
    EDIT: Just discovered you can swipe notifications down off the screen and they go away similar to swiping them left or right.

EDIT 2: Just discovered, with multiple notifications, that if you tap/hold onto one, you can rearrange the order of your notifications.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by NachoB; 08/26/2010 at 11:26 AM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    waiting for1.4.5 for ATT..

A question, everytime b4 upgrade, we must clear the patched and themes?

After we done, we reinstall again?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast