Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Prerequisites:
    * Zip and UnZip which can be installed using either Preware or WebOS Quick Install in either WebOS-Internals Feed (Pre) or WebOS-Internals Feed (Pixi).
    * Terminal - installed using either Preware or WebOS Quick Install in either WebOS-Internals Feed (Pre) or WebOS-Internals Feed (Pixi).

Nice to have but not necessary:
    * Internalz for easier viewing of files.
    * A Dropbox account and Dropboxify app for copying files from your Pre to the cloud for offline storage.
    Please use the Dropbox link in my signature if you want to create a Dropbox account.

After you've installed Zip and UnZip, you'll need to copy zip from folder /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/bin to folder /usr/bin so it will be globally available when you're using Terminal (unzip is already in the /usr/bin folder). Easiest way to perform this copy is by using Internalz. Be sure to enable Master Mode in Internalz Preferences prior to copying.

To view a brief description of the syntax for each, in Terminal, simply type either zip or unzip and press Enter.

Now, lets perform a simple Zip. We'll Zip the file mountcfs.log since this should be on everybody's /media/internal drive. Launch Terminal and type the following 2 commands (hit Enter key after each command):

Code:
    cd /media/internal
    zip test mountcfs.log

This is the most basic zip operation. The syntax used here is:
    zip [name of zip file you want to create] [name of the file to zip]

Let's say you use Save/Restore and want to create a single zip file of your saverestore directory. In this example we'll assume you've just launched Terminal:

Code:
    cd /media/internal
    zip -r saverestorebackup saverestore

So in this example, the -r flag indicates to do a recursive backup of the saverestore directory and to name the zip file saverestorebackup.zip

One more zip example, creating a password protected zip file of your saverestore directory. Again, assuming you've just launched Terminal:

Code:
    cd /media/internal
    zip -r -e saverestorepassword saverestore

The -e flag will prompt you to specify a password and then verify the password. You will see nothing happening in Terminal as you type the password. This will create a password protected zip file named saverestorepassword.zip containg your saverestore directory.

In the above examples, the name of the zip file can be whatever name you choose.

On to UnZip. We'll play with the files we just created.
    Let's extract test.zip. We'll first need to change to the /media/internal directory (assuming you've just launched Terminal):

Code:
    cd /media/internal
    unzip test.zip
    Now since the file mountcfs.log already exists in this directory you'll be prompted what you would like to do, in this case you can indicate y to extract and overwrite the file.

Optionally you could specify to extract the zip to a specified directory. Again, this assumes you've just launched Terminal:

Code:
    cd /media/internal
    unzip test.zip -d music

This will extract the contents of test.zip to the music folder. Caveat, the directory must already exist.

Now let's extract the saverestorebackup.zip file. In this example I'll extract it to my music folder so I don't overwrite my current data in the saverestore folder. Again, this assumes you've just launched Terminal:

Code:
    cd /media/internal
    unzip saverestorebackup.zip -d music

In the above two examples, the -d flag indicates to extract the zip file to the directory specified, music in this case.

I'm still in the learning process, so I haven't figured out how to unzip a password protected zip file yet. Will post more when I figure it out, or maybe someone who does know can post how to do it.

For a more in-depth overview of usage, visit:

http://www.info-zip.org/doc/MANUAL
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    i'm a novice.. how do i copy the zip program I just downloaded to the correct folder.. what is the path? what exactly do i type in? thanks in advance.. webos internals rocks!
  3.    #3  
    Use Internalz, make sure to enable Master Mode, then navigate to the directory I listed where zip is, tap zip and select Copy, then in the copy to window, click the + next to usr, then highlight the bin folder and tap on the Select button to perform the copy.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    got it done.. thanks dude! i'm on my pre so i can hit thanks but i will do it later
  5.    #5  
    Glad I could help
    Awesome to have a simple how to, am bookmarking now and know this will come in handy.

Pip
    I too am bookmarking this. So happy that the hyperlink was posted in my thread about unzipping (files not pants) via our smart phones. This is so very helpful.
    I just installed Terminal, but have yet to take this puppy for a test ride. As soon as I do, I will be back to let you know how it all went NachoB.
    and thank you very much by the way for the dropbox link.
    \m/ you rock!
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

"Keeping the smart phone world at peace one PALM at a time"

Me and Dropbox, sitting in a tree. S-Y-N-C-I-N-G. http://db.tt/qetBsiR
    @ d.moss, You're aware that the pre does have a full site. I use my pre to do everything my PC does. I rarely ever use the mobile site. This phone even show the forum clearer than my PC. I love using the full site on the pre. More people should try using it, and stop saying it is too slow. That way you'll be able to say thanks by pressing the thanks button. Look, I'm using my pre now. (Full site)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL View Post
    @ d.moss, You're aware that the pre does have a full site. I use my pre to do everything my PC does. I rarely ever use the mobile site. This phone even show the forum clearer than my PC. I love using the full site on the pre. More people should try using it, and stop saying it is too slow. That way you'll be able to say thanks by pressing the thanks button. Look, I'm using my pre now. (Full site)
    +1 Heck yeah amigo that's how I'm rolling as well.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

"Keeping the smart phone world at peace one PALM at a time"

Me and Dropbox, sitting in a tree. S-Y-N-C-I-N-G. http://db.tt/qetBsiR
    thanks for the tip!!...works great!
    Nacho
    I can't tell you how much this has helped me tonight.
    After buying 3 new games yesterday and playing each to a reasonable level, and not doing a saverestore backup to a pc, I dropped my pre and the screen and keyboard became unresponsive.
    Could not get it into usb mode, but could access commandline, remembering this tutorial I was able to zip up the folders I wanted and get them off the device. Was super quick and easy and now I'm ready for a new device.
    Thanks again for the tutorial, I knew it would come in handy.

Pip
  12.    #12  
    Glad it helped in a real world situation, sorry about your Pre though.

I suspect it was on purpose to get a replacement Pre though j/k
    Last edited by NachoB; 08/25/2010 at 07:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Glad it helped in a real world situation, sorry about your Pre though.

I suspect it was on purpose to get a replacement Pre though j/k
    I'm sorry about my pre to, I should have wrapped it in cotton wool and not dropped it

Well I might ask my insurance if they fancy giving me a pre plus instead, will be a nice upgrade

Pip
    thanks for this!!!! Now I can download stuff and don't have to run to my computer just to extract it
    NahcoB,

Thanks a lot for the tutorial. I was wondering if there was a way to unzip .rar files on the Palm Pre Plus. I don't run into the format often but it still would be nice to have the option.

Thanks!
    Nice. It'd be nice if someone would make an app for this though too.
    I'm getting an error when I try to unzip a patch that I d/l from the forum. The error message says:

invalid zip magic 4F44213C

any ideas what that means?
  18.    #18  
    I've not seen that before. Which thread / patch?
    is there anyway to extract or even get the flash ipk file with this?
    @NachoB, it's the iphone-spoof thread/patch.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast