Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Recently I went on a trip to NY. One the way there I noticed I had only about 73% battery left...And my pre was fully charged 2.5 to 3 hours before. I knew I wasnt going to get the chance to charge my Pre all day, which meant another 12 hours before I got to charge my Pre again. So I decided to do a little test because normally at 73% I had maybe another 5 hours if I used my phone very lightly and kept the screen off as much as possible. I had read that the 3g radio is one of the biggest wastes of power and I figured with synergy always running in the background that the best strategy would be to reduce how much my phone uses the 3g radio. So I simply shut off my data connection which left the phone on. I was still able to receive texts and of course make phone calls, which were my main concerns. If I needed any internet services I could just turn data back on then off again as needed.

Well amazingly I did this when my phone was at 73% and almost 2 hours later when I got to NY my battery was at 71%!!!!! Amazing...I had it in standby the entire 2 hours. Anyways I had it in standby the entire day...I made a few phone calls probably 20-30 min worth but I never used the data connection the entire day...so basically I got to NY with 63% battery and data off. I stayed there another 6 hours and on my way back had around 50% battery still!!! about 2 hours later I had about 45%. Then I started playing scrabble for about 1.5 hours and still ended up with 20% battery.

My Pre didnt actually die till minutes before I walked into my house to put it on the charger. It lasted almost the entire day with phone calls and almost 2 hours of gameplay and it is 800Mhz overclocked..(by the way usually when I play scrabble it wastes about 20 -25% battery per hour sometimes more). Downside of course is no data connection but at least I had a phone and I believe if someone makes a patch that allows you to shut off Synergy the battery life would increase 2x to 3x. I love Synergy but it is a huge battery waster and I would like to turn it off and on when needed.

If anyone else trys this let us know if you experience similar battery results
  2. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Yes, I too noticed a huge battery savings on my phone after doctoring it. I thought it was just the doctoring that did it, but further investigation revealed that my Google accounts needed to have the passwords re-entered, so it wasn't retrieving mail or calendar info. My battery usage went from about 1-2% usage/hour to 10-15% usage once I turned that on, with normal usage (some emails, texts, a bit of game play).
    Pilot 1000 -> Palm Pro -> Palm III -> Handspring Visor -> Palm V -> Palm TX -> Palm LifeDrive -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Pre
    I've done this a time or two when in an area with lousy service... And it does extend battery life a lot. However, I personally don't consider it a helpful alternative. I have a smartphone for a reason... If I turn off data, why not save money on my cell plan and just get a duumb phone, and check my emails when at my computer?
  4.    #4  
    @Jonesey I agree it's not a permanent solution for everyday, but it is great for when you need your phone all day like I did or if your really low on battery. With 30% battery doing this would give you probably another 4-6 hours vs. normal hour or two...plus you can still play games and use any non data dependent apps on your phone without utterly killing your battery cant do that with a dumbphone
    Well, now, this brings up a GREAT suggestion for a PreWare patch:

A Data "On/Off" switch in the top bar, so you can easily toggle it on and off, to help save battery life.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

I use Quick System Tasks and turn my 3g/wifi on and off whenever I need it. It helps a lot.
    Yeah i always turn off Data if its going to be a long day out with my Pre.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Well, now, this brings up a GREAT suggestion for a PreWare patch:

A Data "On/Off" switch in the top bar, so you can easily toggle it on and off, to help save battery life.

there already is one. I'm using it, and it helps when I really need to get some extra mileage out of my battery.
  9.    #9  
    Cool it seems like a lot of people already know about this. I wish I found out sooner. But if a patch to turn off synergy cant be created at least a patch or app that allows the pre to turn off data automatically when it gets really low like 30 or 35% and back on when your charging or back around 40% or higher battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by drahgon View Post
    Cool it seems like a lot of people already know about this. I wish I found out sooner. But if a patch to turn off synergy cant be created at least a patch or app that allows the pre to turn off data automatically when it gets really low like 30 or 35% and back on when your charging or back around 40% or higher battery.
    If you look in Preware, you will find your patch. It's been in there for quite some time.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince_Basil View Post
    If you look in Preware, you will find your patch. It's been in there for quite some time.
    Really Im going to look now!
  12.    #12  
    hmm cant find any patches that turn off data automatically only ones the require you to manually do it.
    The patch you are looking for is "Data in Device Menu"
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    The patch you are looking for is "Data in Device Menu"
    Yea I have that. Im saying we need a patch that automatically disables data based on your battery level and re enable its again based on your battery level.

Data in Device Menu requires you to manually open the device menu then turn off data. Its not automatic.
    thanks works great ror me
    I have 3 batteries. I dont have to worry about all that lol. I leave everything on and swap batteries when i need to.
    I have a extra battery which I never use because I always have my solio solar charger with me. Either way,i always got the power. Why have a smart phone if yr going to shut it's brain down for battery.
    I need push e-mail so this isn't an option for me.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I wish the Data in Device Menu patch worked for me... I think it doesn't work on non-English language devices.
  20.    #20  
    @divehard no problem.

@NickDG I agree for me this isn't really an everyday option. But in that particular case I just needed my phone first and foremost to be what it is at its core...a phone for as long as possible. This is great option when you really need your phone all day(just your phone) or triple the time before your phone dies (ex a trip or if someone really needs to contact you but your phone is low on battery)

Also I think a patch to turn off data automatically at very low battery levels would be nice, because when your phone is almost dead wouldnt you rather it last as long as possible until your get to a charger or have all your features working, but the phone dies and until you find a charger you end up with no data, no phone, no nothing, which sometimes can be a while depending on where you are/what your doing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast