1.    #1  
    I have a jail broken palm pre. All the standard apps work just fine. The app catolog is not available now obviously and I was wondering a simple way to get new apps on the phone. I'm pretty new to this and not that computer savy. I thought it would be as easy as going to palm and sending an app through sms, but it's not happening. ANY help is greatly appreciated. I consider myself an intelligent person. but when explaining please talk to me like a child. lol!
    how did you "jailbreak" a phone that is already accessible? That's one of the great things about webOS...
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    i agree there is no reason to jailbreak a pre
    i don't know what exactly you had to do to "jailbreak" you phone but, I use my phone without a contract and I still have access to the full catalog, do a search for meta-doctor, preware, and webos quickinstall.

Meta doctor: creates "doctor" that avoids needing to activate the phone.

"preware" is an app that is sideloaded using a computer that gives you patching option and much more

webos quick install: is a pc program that easily installs app to your phone and much more....

NOTE: the jailbreaking community is called "homebrew" and it is for doing things Palm cannot or doesnot allow, IT isn't for pirating apps!!!!
    What all the previous messages are getting at, is JailBreak is a term used for the Apple iPhone ONLY!

So it's not nice to say Jailbreak when talking about WebOS! UPDATE!: It's a joke guys! LOL! Lighten up!

In WebOS land the term is called 'Homebrew'!

So if you have installed other stuff besides what came with your phone; that you got on your phone either by using WebOS Quick Install (which at the moment, you have to use first to get the following) or you have Preware on your phone; then you have a phone that is Homebrewed.

WebOS Quick Install and Preware both allow you to install applications and alter (called patching) your WebOS phone besides what the official Palm App Catalog does and is on your phone from the factory.

WebOS Quick Install and Preware are not factory install and come from the 'Homebrew' community.

Please rephrase your question so people can answer it correctly and provide you with the help you need.

And yes, I wrote this because you mentioned that you are a 'newbie'.

Rob
    Last edited by rlanza1054; 07/30/2010 at 09:47 PM. Reason: so I don't seem to be sounding nasty
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

i still think he needs to explain what he means in saying that he has "jail broken" his phone?

isn't that basically just logging in and entering dev mode? I wonder if he means he unlocked it from a carrier...
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    I don't think most of us adults have I Hate Fruit posters or t-shirts so let's not make a big deal out of the whole Apple jailbreak issue. Sounds kinda childish if you ask me.

What's more important is Workerb33's point as to what is meant by the OP.
    My god, I was trying to help the guy and you criticize me? I was trying to be polite to the guy because all the other messages were coming down hard on the newbie.

I was trying to approach it without being nasty.

I think you need to re-read my post especially the last sentence.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Calm down guys... it's just a term and saying the 'j' word isn't a big deal - especially for a newbie. Fact is, the OP hasn't posted since the first post and that's the main concern - how can we help without getting into a war about semantics?

OP... please clarify your question if you would and we can give you a hand. What do you mean by trying to send an app through SMS?
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Calm down guys... it's just a term and saying the 'j' word isn't a big deal - especially for a newbie. Fact is, the OP hasn't posted since the first post and that's the main concern - how can we help without getting into a war about semantics?

OP... please clarify your question if you would and we can give you a hand. What do you mean by trying to send an app through SMS?
    Thank you for the pep talk!

I thought I was trying to do that.

I thought I was just saying to him, look it's really called Homebrew with WebOS not Jailbreak.

And I guess to some it came off as if I was being nasty, but I was really just making a joke about it.

You do know that most of us 'webos' (I hate to admit this) *******, don't want the term Jailbreak to be applied to WebOS, mainly because it does sound like it's something bad that we've done to our phones.

To show the guy that Palm and WebOS is not the scary thing that Steve Jobs makes out of his iPhone 'jailbreak' stuff.

I did notice that he never came back and yes that was troubling. Most times, I would have just sent him a PM to see if he still needed help.

He probably doesn't even know that we are active in his thread.

I think when I first got on (Treocentral, back then) I didn't understand how to turn on the 'notify when someone replies' option in user settings.

So maybe you (I will stay out of it at this point) would be willing to try and private message the guy and see if he still needs the help.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

10.    #10  
    I'm gonna try this one more time and not try to step on anyones toes. I dont know term so I explain it black and white. Yes I have a sprint palm pre that I changed to a diffrent carrier. Since doing so all the pre installed apps work just fine, but the catalog app tells me it unavailable. When I try to set up the proflile it won't allow me to pass the security question question. I read about homebrew I just don't know if I install it will it mess up whats called the flash(programming to the new carrier). Basically guys I just want some apps on my phone. I know it's capable of so much. When I metioned the SMS message I pretty much went to the palm site saw an app entered my phone number and it said a sms has been sent to my phone,and never got anything> Plain and simple is what I'm going through. I dont want to get anyone one in trouble or violate any rules. I just saw this site and thought you were the guys who could help.
    Well, flashing a phone to a different carrier is way over my head. However, there are some threads around here for people who are interested in doing that. If you don't find specifically what you need in one of the threads, you can always post your questions or PM one of the participants to see if they can help you. Try these for starters:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ledgebase.html

http://forums.precentral.net/cdma-no...lp-please.html

http://forums.precentral.net/cdma-no...e-verizon.html

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...g-verizon.html

http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...ed-my-pre.html
    You didn't get the message because you don't have the app catalog working since flashed Pres don't have a data connection you need to use wifi
    but it should have come as a txt message, shouldn't it?
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    It comes in as a market link, at least whenever I use it it does
  15.    #15  
    Interesting. Yea I've always tried it on the phones internet never wi-fi. I'll give it a try.Thanks! So is there any other way to set a profile other than on the phone itself. would it work using someone else's palm pre that is capable to make a profile. Just curious