Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Love the patch that blurs out the crap/spam in the official catalog and now we get to enjoy complete removal (in Preware at least).

Check over the list people, that way you make sure that it IS something that you DO want to block. It's NOT hard.
    Thanks for the effort.
    Quote Originally Posted by bry4n View Post
    it's already located in preware.

pop down the menu in preware, select preferences, and the ability to add to your blacklist is at the bottom.
    Is there an easy way to paste this list into Preware?
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    Is there an easy way to paste this list into Preware?
    Not really. Single entry and different filter types and it doesn't make much sense to make the feature more complex than it is. It is best to have it the way it is so each user can pick and choose what they want to filter. I recommend checking out the stuff each filter would block to make sure it isn't stuff you will want to see. I personally only view less than half the list as spam and maybe 1/2 to 2/3rd crap apps so I only filtered the big offenders who increment all their ~100+ app version simply to push them to the top of the most recent list.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    For those, like me, who are blocking the religious stuff, because you believe it is pure bunk, then you may also want to make sure to blacklist a title that has been spelled wrong, someone has an app out there for the book of mormon, but spelled it morman.

Kind of makes you wonder who is making some of these? I just can't accept they are really a mormon, else they would know how to spell the name of their own holy text.

And anyone attacking me on blocking them, please note it will do you no good. I am an atheist, do not hide it or deny it and I'd just rather not deal with seeing this stuff, every single time I am trying to find something I like and want to add to my phone.

What we all approve of and do or do not block is a matter of personal beliefs and preference!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    I'm an atheist, but for the love of everything holy or not, let's have separation of Church and webOS in this thread, people!
    I was reading a blog post or was it in one of the podcasts that palm would make improvements to the app catalog so that app spam would not be an issue. It was a vague reference I think along the lines of don't worry about apps spam. The talking point was during discussion of there no longer being dev fees. I have no idea what their plan is but I wonder if that will carry over at all with preware and make the need for black listing less likely. It seems so far the list is small and I hope it stays that way. I often wonder how much app spam and crap apps are in apple's and androids app stores compared to webOS.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    I was reading a blog post or was it in one of the podcasts that palm would make improvements to the app catalog so that app spam would not be an issue. It was a vague reference I think along the lines of don't worry about apps spam. The talking point was during discussion of there no longer being dev fees. I have no idea what their plan is but I wonder if that will carry over at all with preware and make the need for black listing less likely. It seems so far the list is small and I hope it stays that way. I often wonder how much app spam and crap apps are in apple's and androids app stores compared to webOS.
    Not as big of a problem for Apple, since they keep such tight control over what's in their app catalog.

I have no idea, however, what's in the Android one, as I have never played with one of those phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Not as big of a problem for Apple, since they keep such tight control over what's in their app catalog.

I have no idea, however, what's in the Android one, as I have never played with one of those phones.
    I figured since people complain, on both platforms, that it's hard to find the good apps I figured both had an issue with spam and crap apps. Though I suppose there could be less on apple due to their control hold on the app store.
    apple has less spam apps due control? Are you srs? Quit trollin
    I believe both of us were hypothesizing that it may be possible. Neither of us know unless anyone can take all three platforms and go through all of the apps and figure it out. Personally I figure based on amounts of total apps and trends of apps in general that both apple and android probably have the same or more percentage of apps as spam or crap compared to palm. But I personally don't care to try and take the time to look through every app on the other two platforms. But I know there are bloggers and analyst groups who like to do this sort of thing so I'd be curious to know if any of them have done analysis on this and if not if they would be interested. Obviously crap apps and spam is also a factor on selling a platform to users.
    Could we please get back to topic? "Post your Preware Blacklist!", you know? many of use use this thread as a reference ( i know i do) and it's really annoying if it pops up constantly because of some completely OT talk.

Thanks!
    I believe both of us were hypothesizing that it may be possible. Neither of us know unless anyone can take all three platforms and go through all of the apps and figure it out. Personally I figure based on amounts of total apps and trends of apps in general that both apple and android probably have the same or more percentage of apps as spam or crap compared to palm. But I personally don't care to try and take the time to look through every app on the other two platforms. But I know there are bloggers and analyst groups who like to do this sort of thing so I'd be curious to know if any of them have done analysis on this and if not if they would be interested. Obviously crap apps and spam is also a factor on selling a platform to users.
    Exactly, but I was mostly referring to the spam, because I know that is one of the reasons that Apple has kept such tight control, they do, however, get crap apps. I think it is very hard to avoid that.

And OT, with their regular influx of crap apps, I am adding appbookshop to my black list!
    Please do carefully consider if the following developers should be added to your personal blacklist although I personally am not interested in the apps they have made I have not blacklisted them but some might if these developers end up with a lot more apps they don't care about or something.

Lojack Appware --- 10 apps --- misc stuff may be of interest
    SPB Software Inc --- 16 apps --- language flash cards and a TV app

Quote Originally Posted by WalterH View Post
    Could we please get back to topic? "Post your Preware Blacklist!", you know? many of use use this thread as a reference ( i know i do) and it's really annoying if it pops up constantly because of some completely OT talk.

Thanks!
    Sorry I thought the more general topic would be acceptable. I'll try and avoid making replies without also including stuff people may be interested in blacklisting.
    Check out both that you listed and blacklisted them, they have nothing of interest to me and I prefer being able to find what I am seeking, without having to sort through so much clutter.
    New candidate: "EmJa Interactive, LLC." for putting several Cheat code "apps" in the catalog - for "only" 6.99 ...
    Folks, i swear, the instance HP adds a "Top 100 Yodelling Songs" app, i'll blacklist them.

Seriously - who else finds all these Top 100 apps plainly annoying?
    don't ferget Paschar or Pachar LLC or something...
    I do. I use the youversion app to refer to it when on the go. Many Christians do which is why it is a popular app. Many want to custom fit to their likes and dislikes in style of the app thus the reason why many developers take on a bible reader.
    I use several versions. It's not a waste to me and I do read it.

BTW, the OT was against many "sins." but Jesus is quoted to say, [paraphrasing] 'The old way was an eye for an eye, but the new way is forgiveness.'

I do agree that this was a personal decision to block. Maybe if you explained why you block each...

EX:
    blah - spam
    blahblah - religious
    blahblahblah - offensive.

etc.

my take is that 1. you shouldn't block any devs on someone else's sayso without doing a lil research. but 2. if you post a block list tell us why you blocked each one... just my 0.02 USD.
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I know this is an old thread, but I'm just setting up my blacklist on a pre2, and wanted to actually write down a quick rundown on the things blocked that have so far been mentioned in the thread.

A few of these apps include content that is geared toward sexuality, wherever I see that I'm just going to say "Racy content" and leave it at that--It's not like i'm downloading these apps to rate how bad it gets.

AppBookShop - Individual books in apps ranging from free to $5.
    Appible - public domain books for $1 or $2 libravox public domain audiobooks
    Appwill - Quotes, Wallpapers, racy picture apps.
    Arctic Apps - A few puzzle games.
    Brighthouse Labs - Sports. Something like 10 apps for each sport, based on location.
    Concentric Sky - Small reference guides/cheat sheets for tech stuff
    Dijit - Racy picture apps, other background apps, ringtones, audiobooks
    EHYP Productions - One Bible verses (not the whole book, just scenery and verses) app, and a whole lot of hypnosis mp3 apps.
    Envision Mobile Ltd. - Religious content (Christian, Jewish, Muslim) and a stock tracking app.
    Europa Pictures - Quotes and a bunch of Trivia apps. Some Religious and Political content.
    Freedom Communications - RSS reader apps for individual news sites around the US.
    FunMobility Inc - Wallpaper apps, some racy content
    GiganticSoft - Two apps; one a racy Tiger Woods joke, one a windows vista joke.
    Hammz Hotteez - Do you need to ask? racy content.
    Islet Systems - Cricket, Soccer. 3 apps each.
    JackApps.mobi - One app, pictures of overweight people with no shirts on, near as I can tell.
    Mobifusion Inc. - Bunch of book apps--some of them as much as $15, didn't see any lower than $3
    More Solutions - Stocks
    On The Go Girls - Again, racy content.
    Pocket Zebra - Quotes apps
    Pressed Apps - Quotes apps
    PalmAgent - Real estate app
    tEarn Media - "Search bot shows images. You guess the [X]". lots of these.
    Ultralingua - Cross-language dictionaries.
    Upward Mobility - flash cards and exam prep for many exams
    WebOZ Mobile App - Bible Reader (a few versions), a Bible glossary app, a few simple games.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123