Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Sorry for what's probably a dumb question, but this doesn't seem to be working as I expected. The description seems to suggest that if I add a maintainer, for example, to the blacklist, then fire up the standard App Catalog (not Preware's app/package list), those vendors will not appear. Yet they do still appear. Am I doing this right, or did I misunderstand how this is supposed to work?
  2.    #22  
    This is a Preware feature, which only applied to Preware's listings.

I believe there is a patch that can create a blacklist for the official app catalog but I've never used it so I can't be sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    He responded truthfully because he was asked, an ad hominem approach doesn't earn you any points for your cause.

Instead try to form a truly logical argument swaying others from his suggestion, Why should people consider keeping that contributer out of the blacklist?
    Before people start some ridiculous flamewar over a man's person opinion to add a Bible App maker to the list of blacklisted apps, I'd like to state a few things.

1. The man [tobias funke] is entitled to his opinion

"If someone is dumb enough to add my entire list to their Preware without checking any of it and confirming my choices, that's their own problem, isn't it?"
    2. Regardless of intent, the opening line alludes to the fact that the following maintainers are spam app creators, as such it would be beneficial and more display more integrity to clearly state which maintainers are removed as a matter of personal taste rather than to remove junk apps.

3. Alex, I would suggest that before you go criticizing someone else's ability to present a logical argument, that you make sure you are using the right terms yourself . As while he may have not articulated his position well within his response, his response within itself wouldn't be classified as an ad hominem.

4. While many of you may say that blacklisted apps are all within a matter of personal opinion to begin with, there is an overall consensus that spam/junk apps would be on the list. To reiterate an early point, you must ask yourself if someone added another maintainer to the list on the origin post (the one that most people will see) simply because it conflicted with personal views without clarification then people would view that as base. Eg. if the author had been Christian and added atheist, muslim, jewish, etc... literature maintainers to the spam list, knowing that most people wouldn't validate each maintainer (especially as the list grows larger), there would probably be some form of backlash among some precentral members, as there has been in this case.

5. Disclaimer: I am a Christian, and was offended by the fact he added this maintainer to list not by the quality of the application, but by the religious content within. This is discriminatory and I didn't respond in anger and backlash but rather was hoping to get a more logical explanation as to the actions. I have not made it my goal to personally attack any member but rather expressed a desire for knowledge, and in this post expressed my wishes for a segregation of blacklisted maintainers into a list of spam/junk apps and a list of personal preference to add transparency and legitimacy to this thread.

May God Bless.
    Ah, rats. That's a shame... I would really love to have a way to filter out the spammers. There's the patch to sort of grey them out, but I'd just like them gone.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by acollier88 View Post
    Before people start some ridiculous flamewar over a man's person opinion to add a Bible App maker to the list of blacklisted apps, I'd like to state a few things.

1. The man [tobias funke] is entitled to his opinion

"If someone is dumb enough to add my entire list to their Preware without checking any of it and confirming my choices, that's their own problem, isn't it?"
    2. Regardless of intent, the opening line alludes to the fact that the following maintainers are spam app creators, as such it would be beneficial and more display more integrity to clearly state which maintainers are removed as a matter of personal taste rather than to remove junk apps.
    No offense, but you've apparently created rules out of thin air where none exist.

Much like the people who originally wrote the Bible. :-)

This thread is not a "Preware Blacklist Repository" and I fully stand by my conviction that if you copy and paste my list verbatim, you are fully accepting that apps may be blacklisted that you weren't prepared for. I posted my personal blacklist, nothing more. I never said "this is only a list of developers who spam the app catalog." In fact, I don't recall using the word 'spam' in my post at all... do you?

Sorry, but I don't have any sympathy for people who do things without understanding the consequences and then complain afterwards that they weren't warned.

To me it's very similar to the people who install a testing kernel and then complain that their phone isn't working correctly (something which essentially led to a kernel developer abandoning their efforts out of frustration). I'm not here to hold your hand.

Furthermore, it's also interesting to me that out of all the developers I listed, some of whom have even less apps blacklisted by my list than WebOZ, you only chose to defend the religious company, because you yourself are religious. This leads me to believe you don't really care about the actual issue you're crowing about, and only care because a set of religious apps is removed by my blacklist. Not a very impressive argument.
    I'd like to say before discussion gets too heated that we should remain civil and just provide notations as to certain developers having a kind of content that not everyone may want to consider removing. Which was the purpose of my post which I included app counts in as well. In looking at the apps by each of the developers by searching the app catalog by their names I was able to see at least one of them not all the apps from that developer did I want to filter out so I didn't add a filter(s). I would expect others would want to check to make sure each is something they want to block before hand at least that makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by froggersloth View Post
    Ah, rats. That's a shame... I would really love to have a way to filter out the spammers. There's the patch to sort of grey them out, but I'd just like them gone.
    Unfortunately this, I think, was considered. But because it is the official catalog being modified it, I believe is a gray area though best to not enter and so the make the spam less visible was the better way of not crossing into the gray area. Personally I prefer to use preware because I can look at all sources in one app and filter it now. Clicking install for anything in the palm catalogs (app, web, beta) will take you to the listing and let you decide what to do from there. I only browse the app catalog when preware doesn't quite handle the exact way I want to look (which is rare for me).
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    I just blacklisted the title "bible" it's more effective. The bible is plagiarism. Horus came first.
    Quote Originally Posted by flashdrive View Post
    And if you actually read that book you would notice that it does not tell you to throw stones at gay people.
    right, it just says they should be killed and does not specify how.

"'If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads."
    leviticus 20:13
    Christian or not, how many people actually read the bible on their phone anyway? The app is a waste of space.

On a more serious note: thanks for this list! Amazing how much it cut down on the app catalog.
    Quote Originally Posted by ceponatia View Post
    Christian or not, how many people actually read the bible on their phone anyway? The app is a waste of space.

On a more serious note: thanks for this list! Amazing how much it cut down on the app catalog.
    I do. I use the youversion app to refer to it when on the go. Many Christians do which is why it is a popular app. Many want to custom fit to their likes and dislikes in style of the app thus the reason why many developers take on a bible reader.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    okay i dont have a pc right now so i havent been searching the forums much lately. Am I to understand that you can blacklist certain vendors and their dumb apps won't show up? How do I add this feature on preware so I can blacklist the bible too?
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tobias funke View Post
    The last thing I need on my phone is a book from thousands of years ago that tells me to throw stones at gay people. :-)
    Are you talking about Mode Switcher
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Quote Originally Posted by x_madhatter_x View Post
    okay i dont have a pc right now so i havent been searching the forums much lately. Am I to understand that you can blacklist certain vendors and their dumb apps won't show up? How do I add this feature on preware so I can blacklist the bible too?
    Update to latest version of preware. open menu. goto preferences. Add things to the blacklist
    Does anyone here find the Palm Store feed slows down Preware too much? I tend not to use it and turn that feed off, anything but patches and beta Preware apps are already on the P|C website anyway.

I use the Bible on my phones all the time.
    But, sometimes I feel that some folks think I'm playing with phone in church. ha ha.
    I've been doing that since gosh, the Palm III series. I've seen a few people with PDA/Phones over the years but now lately I've been seeing Kindles and iPads being used, but those things are so big. And I can't read any time anywhere with something that doesn't fit in my pocket.

PS: If someone doesn't like the Bible, and thinks it's Jewish Sci Fi, that's their business.
    Someone should have read his list and acted accordingly.
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    I usually think I have a pretty good sense of humor but this one went right over my head.
    Quote Originally Posted by x_madhatter_x View Post
    Just in case there is any confusion the blacklist is a filter for what you see in preware and doesn't change what you see when using the app catalog. But if you have the app catalog feed turned on in preware and use preware as a means of seeing what's new from all places it will remove the junk you don't want to see. Hm I hope I didn't make it confusing in my reply

Quote Originally Posted by Fountainhead View Post
    Does anyone here find the Palm Store feed slows down Preware too much? I tend not to use it and turn that feed off, anything but patches and beta Preware apps are already on the P|C website anyway.
    That's because there is way more stuff in the app catalog than any other source. Down the road this will be improved as I asked about incremental updates vs obtaining the whole feed again and the reply was on the roadmap. I've attended a couple churches in my area that use their smartphone or other mobile devices to access information including bible referencing. One of them the person speaking to everyone had their notes and bible etc on a smartphone. I was actually intrigued as no delays from page turning to look up verses that strayed from the main topic. Technology is a great tool when we use it as such.
    okay how do I get blacklist? Is it an app or a patch or is it just a setting already in preware?
    it's already located in preware.

pop down the menu in preware, select preferences, and the ability to add to your blacklist is at the bottom.
    The last thing I need on my phone is a book from thousands of years ago that tells me to throw stones at gay people. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    I usually think I have a pretty good sense of humor but this one went right over my head.
    I think the humor intended was if you look at the first 2 quotes, I believe Tom was interjecting a humorous comment about switching modes, in relation to tobias's comment bout him not wanting to read about an ancient document telling him not to throw stones at gay people... Meaning, if gay people had a mode switcher, they could change modes, and avoid the stoning, or death, or whatever.

Maybe not the funniest or cleverest comment ever, but I believe (correct me if I am wrong), but I think that was the seque.

and as a side comment, guess people who still take that ancient document written by some dudes a long long time ago, to be absolutely litteral, I guess they would still condone slavery, cuz that was sure not only accepted, but encouraged, and regulated..
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

Thanks for the blackout lists. I did not realize it even existed till surfing thru the forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast