1.    #1  
    I've noticed that the ones who always suggest you do a search 1st have never tried to search. If you do you either get nothing or a bunch of threads that may have one post (somewhere in the 300 post included in that thread) that may have one word out of what you searched for. That is not helpful in finding an answer to your question.

There are times when you may get lucky and find an answer to your question but most times you get threads that may have a post in which someone mentioned what you searched for.

Sometimes you may even get a thread where someone else asked your same question. Only to find out that all the post say to use the search box.

I see many threads that are repeats of threads that have already been posted & they get a bunch of answers. Even though the thread two post down has all the answers & the same question as a topic.

This isn't fair to newbies that have a question. It's much easier to just post a link to the proper thread for them. That is if it's that easy to find what they're asking for by just using the search box.

Do you agree? I know there are some that just don't try to search at all and need to be told because the thread right below has the answer. But usually you can see the amount of post a member has & tell if they are familiar with the forum enough to find things or not. Many newbies don't even know which subforum is for what. I know I didn't know what webOS development was for until I had around 100 post. I found out from a link to the proper post from Mammuton. I thought only Palm pre & palm pre tips & info were the ones with the info for the answers to my questions.

don't know how to make this a poll, but it should be.
    I assure you if properly used that the search feature works and is a very good asset in educating yourself on topics posted on this forum. There is a thread on how to use search, you might understand the function better if you read that thread.
    I usually try to be as helpful as possible, which means that if I'm aware of something that has already been discussed, and want to share that thread, I will have to do the search to find the thread, copy the url, and then post it in the newer thread. Basically, the person helping becomes a human search engine for those that don't search.
    But of course, reading the forums on an hourly basis means I have the advantage of knowing what is being discussed over someone who checks in once a week or only comes here when they have a problem.

I'll just keeping doing what I do
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by switchedgear View Post
    I assure you if properly used that the search feature works and is a very good asset in educating yourself on topics posted on this forum. There is a thread on how to use search, you might understand the function better if you read that thread.
    I understand the function, but didn't at first. You act as if you were an expert when you 1st joined. I guess you never posted a question because you just had to use the search function?

If you read the entire post you would see why I mentioned it. Those that know it all seem to look down on those that are trying to learn. there are a select few with 1000s of post that still take the time to explain & answer questions still. Despite a question being answered before they simply post a link saying try this thread.

that's what helped me, not saying try and search. I was confused about something with a kernel, search and found a post about it. Only to find out from reading the post from Rod, that the original poster was incorrect. Using the search was not helpful in that situation the correct info which was posted by Rod later in the thread was the helpful info (but it wasn't there when I 1st checked).

I guess you would be one vote for telling users to use the search box (obviously)
  5.    #5  
    I try to help with what little I know. I believe in 'Each one Teach one'. It's kind of like giving kids text books without teachers. Sure the info is in there but how much & how many kids are going to learn & understand it without a teacher to question? Could you imagine if all through school your teachers only said, Read the book it's in there.

There would be a lot of people on their 10th year of high school...LOL

But seriously as a newbie (& I'm still not far from one) those that know are looked up to like Teachers. Nobody liked the teachers that wouldn't help but could. IKnow I didn't, did you?
    Last edited by bodyshop; 07/23/2010 at 10:47 AM.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    I usually try to be as helpful as possible, which means that if I'm aware of something that has already been discussed, and want to share that thread, I will have to do the search to find the thread, copy the url, and then post it in the newer thread. Basically, the person helping becomes a human search engine for those that don't search.
    But of course, reading the forums on an hourly basis means I have the advantage of knowing what is being discussed over someone who checks in once a week or only comes here when they have a problem.

I'll just keeping doing what I do
    Thanks thats the spirit
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by switchedgear View Post
    I understand the function, but didn't at first. You act as if you were an expert when you 1st joined. I guess you never posted a question because you just had to use the search function?

If you read the entire post you would see why I mentioned it. Those that know it all seem to look down on those that are trying to learn. there are a select few with 1000s of post that still take the time to explain & answer questions still. Despite a question being answered before they simply post a link saying try this thread.

that's what helped me, not saying try and search. I was confused about something with a kernel, search and found a post about it. Only to find out from reading the post from Rod, that the original poster was incorrect. Using the search was not helpful in that situation the correct info which was posted by Rod later in the thread was the helpful info (but it wasn't there when I 1st checked).

I guess you would be one vote for telling users to use the search box (obviously)
    I've learned so much since I've joined this forum by searching for one thing and getting sidetracked to another topic. If your willing to learn, the people here will teach you anything you don't understand. If you just want someone to fix your phone you're going to get some attitude from the people who have taken the time to atleast try to help themselves.
    Hmmm?.....It's a Palm Pre, here, let me show you something cool...;-)
    One of the problems I have found with doing a search is there doesn't seem to be a way to search a phrase. It will only search the individual words in a phrase - or am I doing something wrong?

I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb... and I also know that I'm not blonde. Dolly Parton
    Quote Originally Posted by bodyshop View Post

I lurked for months before I ever got around to posting my first question, BECAUSE I use search for nearly everything. Its always my first stop... thats what it is there for... thats why when you start a new thread it brings up a similar thread history for you to take a look at. Just because we know something, doesn't mean we should have to spend our time searching for links that other people can find just as well. This is a community built around self reliance, its a "makers" community... not a consumerist community. Certainly if there is a question out there that I can answer easily, I will... but I'm not going to put effort into things that the person posting the question doesn't... hes not worth my time if he wont even go that far to answer his own questions... if they have a legitimate issue, I will sit with them on their thread for hours trying to trouble shoot or discuss something. I did with my old handle as well. But someone asking about the F105 kernel can easily do a search and pull up the F105 thread... then with a little bit of that magically effortless task called reading they can find what they are looking for.

The new age "instant gratification" culture that America has allowed itself to morph into is just disappointing...

Educate yourself... and you don't need a man to give you a fish...
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisys Mom View Post
    One of the problems I have found with doing a search is there doesn't seem to be a way to search a phrase. It will only search the individual words in a phrase - or am I doing something wrong?
    I just did a search for " words in a phrase " with the quotation marks and this thread was the first return on the search. So use quotation marks for phrases.
    Hmmm?.....It's a Palm Pre, here, let me show you something cool...;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by blaircraigon View Post
    I just did a search for " words in a phrase " with the quotation marks and this thread was the first return on the search. So use quotation marks for phrases.
    I believe it worked for you - maybe they've upgraded or something since the last time I tried, but it didn't work for me. I'll try again. Thanks.

I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb... and I also know that I'm not blonde. Dolly Parton
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by blaircraigon View Post
    that is something I didn't know. (quotation marks).

most people try to search questions or phrases at first not just 1 or 2 words. That advice will help many.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewanders View Post
    The new age "instant gratification" culture that America has allowed itself to morph into is just disappointing...

Educate yourself... and you don't need a man to give you a fish...
    true, but you may still have to ask a man which way to the lake, if you are new to fishing.
    I hate it when someone posts and says "SEARCH", "Thats what searching is for", "www.lmgtfy.com/________", or something else that is simply telling them to search.

Rather than just saying search try to help them and recommend that perform a search next time.

I mean if someone on the street asked you for directions would you say "hey ******* use a map" or would you try and help them?
    For those who don't like the Search feature on the site (it isn't the most accurate), here's a much better one that a lot of us use. Just bookmark this site and use it when you want to search the P|C forums for anything. Type your search word(s) on the first line (leave the second alone as it directs the search to this site).

Google Advanced Search

Bookmark that one and enjoy a better search of the P|C forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    I mean if someone on the street asked you for directions would you say "hey ******* use a map" or would you try and help them?
    Third option: you tell'em to go to hell... uh Google.

Google queries on P|C work best imho:
    "find stuff you need" site:forums.precentral.net
    I generally try to provide an answer, but more-so when there is some evidence that the person has tried unsuccessfully to find the answer themselves.
    Sometimes the "search this thread" feature is a big help.
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    Well in this analogy he is holding the map in his left hand or at least it is sticking out of his backpack. So, yes, I will point him to the map.

Don't get me wrong. Everybody has got to start somewhere. But a thread created by a member with one post about a question that is answered in a sticky... that's just asking for it. Since they are able to write (or what goes through as writing nowadays), they are also capable of reading. And since we are not talking about slicing bread, but a technological device, it should be common sense to inform yourself instead and before letting others do it for you. It really is not that big of a challenge to think about some keywords describing your problem and searching for it.
    'til we meet again.
    THL