Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    I wanted to install the Touchstone in my car, but the location where I wanted to put it (over the ashtray) had no clearance for the USB cable, and besides, I wanted a cleaner look.

The modifications detailed here will allow you to permanently and cleanly mount a Touchstone in your car, and are only intended for those experienced with soldering and electronics. Opening your Touchstone WILL void the warranty!

You can use this mod anytime you'd like a Touchstone to work without the special Palm charger and/or mount with out using a Micro-USB cable sticking out the back. I found that after step 7, I was able to plug the Touchstone into a USB port on my Laptop and it began charging my Pre, whereas before this didn't work. Note that not all USB ports can handle the Touchstones 1 amp draw, so YMMV.

Here are a few pictures of the final result in my car:

Some Touchstone facts:
    It needs 5.0V minimum at about 900-1000ma. Preferably 5.1V which is what the Stock Palm power supply puts out. It drains about 50ma when idle (bounces from 20 to 120 as it looks for a phone). You do NOT need a stock Palm charger or USB cable for this mod, only a 5V supply that is capable of 1A and will not sag under load. If the input drops below 5.92V, the Touchstone will stop charging. I do not recommend a Linear regulator, as it will get HOT when it tries to burn off close to 10 watts! I used an old Nokia adaptor rated at 1A and 5.1V. I removed the original cigarette lighter plug with a bandsaw so the unit fit into the ashtray which I mounted my Touchstone over. There was a convenient +ACC line nearby for the Heated Seat switch that I stole power from.

You should be sure to hook the Touchstone power supply feed to the +ACC line in your car, otherwise if you hook it to +BAT, the over 1/2W idle load will discharge your car battery pretty fast! Also be sure to hook a fuse up or use a fused circuit, being careless with a car electrical system is a big mistake!

How-to in 10 easy (sorta) steps:

1. Use a hair dryer to gently and evenly heat up the back sticky polymer material. Once warm it should peel off with some care.
    2. You should see 3 small phillips screws. Remove them and put them somewhere where they will not get lost.
    3. Remove the back cover by carefully poking a screwdriver in the USB area and pressing toward the back.
    4. I unsolder the 4 connections to the front half, they are in a group towards the bottom right (as viewed with the Touchstone upside-down).
    5. Carefully pry the PCB out. Mine had white silicone globs in either corner holding it in.
    6. Locate R5 and R52. They are near the Microcontroller (large square chip with 28 pins-- Refer to first Pic below).
    7. Solder a blob between the resistors as indicated in the picture. This will bypass the OEM Palm charger detection, enabling the Touchstone to work with any 5V supply. Replace the board and re-solder the 4 wires leading to the front. I advise a test at this point.
    8. Solder a relatively fine gauge set of wires to the pads indicated in the second picture. (below) I used a red and black #22 gauge stranded.
    9. Drill a hole in the back of the bottom cover over the location where you soldered the lead wires, feed the wires through and re-assemble the back cover with the 3 screws (you didn't lose them, right? =).
    10. Mount the unit in your car. I used a square of 3M VHB tape instead of the stock sticky polymer, as it has superior adhesion. I then carefully trimmed a piece of black contact paper to cover the (now upside-down) palm logo.

Note: It's very important you observe correct polarity, and DO NOT connect direct 12V to the Touchstone, or it will be destroyed! I am not responsible for any damage, nor will Palm honor any warranties once you crack the case.

Enjoy!
    retroblu and Rnp like this.
    This si freakin sweet. I have a setup like this in my truck and never thought about this technique. I might give this a try. The touchstone is only $10 now anyway.
    what pics ?
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    thats pretty awesome.. good job and it looks really good.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    what pics ?
    There are four 800x600 pics. If your connection is slow they might take a few secs to load. (sorry!)
    great instructions!
    pEEF instead of hooking up directly to the cigarette lighter plug can an old one be used and put some type of quick disconnect on it? I like the mod but my car doesn't have a plug like yours so I would need to place it in the center but use my cigarette lighter plug coming from the rear of my center console. Also I think I know what a blob is and I am assuming your picture is the before shot, but basically we are just connecting r5 and r52 correct?

Edit: Just had a brain hiccup. So if we bypass the r5 and r52 we should be able to use the usb cord and regular car charger correct?
    Last edited by mamouton; 07/10/2010 at 09:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pEEf View Post
    I wanted to install the Touchstone in my car
    And that car is a Peugeot 505. Nice! A Palm Pre, and a French car, you really do like oddballs don't you?

-n8
    --------------------------------
    Love hate since launch day.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    pEEF instead of hooking up directly to the cigarette lighter plug can an old one be used and put some type of quick disconnect on it? I like the mod but my car doesn't have a plug like yours so I would need to place it in the center but use my cigarette lighter plug coming from the rear of my center console. Also I think I know what a blob is and I am assuming your picture is the before shot, but basically we are just connecting r5 and r52 correct?

Edit: Just had a brain hiccup. So if we bypass the r5 and r52 we should be able to use the usb cord and regular car charger correct?
    Yes, if you do the "blob mod" you can still use the Touchstone as before, with the stock cable and Palm charger. What the blob does is bypass the detection so as long as you have at least 5 volts @ 1 amp available, the Touchstone will engage. Without the mod it will ONLY work with the Palm charger unless you do some other mod (shorting USB Data pins).

I was able to quickly Blob between the 2 resistors with my soldering iron, but the Picture was too blurry on the "after" one, so I don't have a good one to show you, but it's like this: (cheesy photoshopped blob)

I'm not quite sure what you mean by a "quick disconnect", but yes, you can easily add a couple of connectors if you like, just be sure to do it in a way that the polarity cannot be accidentally be swapped. (maybe put male on GND and female on +5) A good choice would be the crimp-on bullet connectors such as these from RatShack:
    Male/Female Insulated Quick-Disconnects (8-Pack) - RadioShack.com

Seems to me though, I'd just get another Mini-USB cable and use that, since the receptacle is already there built-in. (unless of course there is no clearance, as in my case)

In that case, you don't even have to bother opening the Touchstone, just cut open the USB cable and short the green and white wires going to the Touchstone, then connect Red and Black to +5V and GND respectively.

Does that help?
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by natrixgli View Post
    And that car is a Peugeot 505. Nice! A Palm Pre, and a French car, you really do like oddballs don't you?

-n8
    LOL! Good eye! Yes, I suppose I do. I also have 2 other cars, both oddballs and they are both Electric! The 505 is my "long trip" car, as it's my only one that's not electric, plus it gets good mileage and is extremely comfortable.

OT: If anyone is interested, I'm considering selling my Electric Van. It's a full-size 1-Ton GMC van that runs on Ni-Cd batteries. It's great if you happen to need to ferry people or large amounts of cargo around the city, and it's dirt-cheap to operate. It would be good for a mobile repair station of some sort as well. Here's a link:
    Phil S's 1989 GMC Electric G-Van

I don't drive it as much anymore because I have a newer (and smaller) EV. If anyone is in the SF Bay area and wants to check it out, let me know!
    Nice post but theres a touchstone mounted in your car thread. It should probably be move here.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1705447
    ah my links wont work. Just search for it. Its called "Palm Pre using a Touchstone mounted in your car? Post your pictures here!" its got like 700 posts.

In that case, you don't even have to bother opening the Touchstone, just cut open the USB cable and short the green and white wires going to the Touchstone, then connect Red and Black to +5V and GND respectively.

Does that help?
    Helped tremendously I plan on using the micro usb cable after I do the quick blob. Thanks!

I think this thread needs to stay standalone much different than the other ones that have the touchstone mounted in the car because none of them explain the bypass procedure. THat part would have got lost in the other thread. Great find!!
    pEEF worked like a champ my touchstone is charging via my desktop now. I misplaced another touchstone frantically looking for it now. I also ordered three more from verizon for 9.97 each comes with a pixi back though. Thanks again. I plan on having one for my car, one for my office and one for night stand. I needed to pull out a magnifying glass to see the little area to place the blob. +

I do notice that the screen doesn't go dark with the mod. When I plug it up to my computer I get a device not recognized popup, but nothing shows up in device manager. Oh well that is a quirk I will live with.
    Quote Originally Posted by byosphere View Post
    This si freakin sweet. I have a setup like this in my truck and never thought about this technique. I might give this a try. The touchstone is only $10 now anyway.
    ouch. i bought mine when it first came out. could swear it was like $70.
    yes they are dirt cheap now I love it lets me have them multiple places. Verizon has them for 9.97 online right now.
    yes they are dirt cheap now I love it lets me have them multiple places. Verizon has them for 9.97 online right now.
    Dirt cheap if you live in the USA, they still are 30 in the UK around $45 USD and that is with a 5 discount!
    i was just on verizon's site and they are 30 bucks. Did I miss something there?
  19.    #19  
    pEEF worked like a champ my touchstone is charging via my desktop now. I misplaced another touchstone frantically looking for it now. I also ordered three more from verizon for 9.97 each comes with a pixi back though. Thanks again. I plan on having one for my car, one for my office and one for night stand. I needed to pull out a magnifying glass to see the little area to place the blob. +

I do notice that the screen doesn't go dark with the mod. When I plug it up to my computer I get a device not recognized popup, but nothing shows up in device manager. Oh well that is a quirk I will live with.
    Yeah, it's going to confuse the PC, but the screen shouldn't be affected. All mine (I've modded 3) work as expected. If the voltage is low, it might disconnect though!
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxrpilot View Post
    i was just on verizon's site and they are 30 bucks. Did I miss something there?
    http://www.techbargains.com/u.cfm?cl...&id=214975&u=1

Yeah, it's going to confuse the PC, but the screen shouldn't be affected. All mine (I've modded 3) work as expected. If the voltage is low, it might disconnect though!
    I probably didn't get a good solder but it works fine plugged via regular charger so I can live with that.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast