Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes
    great thread! and pEEF, any chance your other EV is a Zap?
    Hey pEEf. Nate here. I'm new to the forum and what brought me here this mod. I'm not the best at soldering, but doing your mod has honed my skills I did part of the mod as you described, after reading through it several times to make sure I understood. After the first time (when I only did the blob), I plugged it into the USB cable via my 12V USB converter in the car and it registered as charging. I was ecstatic, but at the end of the day on the road, I realized it wasn't actually charging, even though the phone said it was. Also, I noticed a very faint "beep, beep, beep" constantly.

Sooooo, I found an old Nokia cell charger like you said and did the other two solder pads like in your second picture, and wired it to the charger making sure of polarity. Again, I plug it into my car, touch the pre on the stone and it registers as charging. Then I went in the house and put my son to bed, came back out to the garage and checked it, it had actually dropped in battery capacity (1%). I double checked all the connections, and it DOES work when I plug it into the wall charger. Any tips?
  3.    #23  
    Actually, It's a Th!nk.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    great thread! and pEEF, any chance your other EV is a Zap?
  4.    #24  
    The touchstone needs 1000ma (1 amp). Anything less and it will reset and drop charging. Sometimes even supplies rated at 1 amp will sag too much under load for the Touchstone's comfort. 5.0 - 5.1V is where it needs to be. 4.9v is too low and the Touchstone will drop. Also: if you extend or use wiring that's too thin, the excessive voltage drop could cause this problem. Use heavier and/or shorter wire, or adjust your power supply to be higher (5.1v) to compensate.

I recently used one of these from Ebay to power a touchstone successfully:
    Digital Volt Meter Switching Power Supply 5V Regulator - eBay (item 350384161950 end time Oct-08-10 16:05:42 PDT)

Many but not all of the various cigarette-lighter type cellphone chargers I have tried work properly. Either be ready to experiment, or buy something like the above that is known to work.

Quote Originally Posted by ncrosslin View Post
    Hey pEEf. Nate here. I'm new to the forum and what brought me here this mod. I'm not the best at soldering, but doing your mod has honed my skills I did part of the mod as you described, after reading through it several times to make sure I understood. After the first time (when I only did the blob), I plugged it into the USB cable via my 12V USB converter in the car and it registered as charging. I was ecstatic, but at the end of the day on the road, I realized it wasn't actually charging, even though the phone said it was. Also, I noticed a very faint "beep, beep, beep" constantly.

Sooooo, I found an old Nokia cell charger like you said and did the other two solder pads like in your second picture, and wired it to the charger making sure of polarity. Again, I plug it into my car, touch the pre on the stone and it registers as charging. Then I went in the house and put my son to bed, came back out to the garage and checked it, it had actually dropped in battery capacity (1%). I double checked all the connections, and it DOES work when I plug it into the wall charger. Any tips?
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pEEf View Post
    Unfortunately, the links "http:// lunaware.com/ images/" are no longer valid. Yeah - I'm a bit late to this. Anyone have fresh links to the images? And the 5th showing the jumper blob?

Thanks,
    Steve
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12