1.    #1  
    When I typed out a text on my Centro and realized that I made a mistake, I could use the sides of the center button to arrow around in the text. I could go straight to the problem and change a letter, insert or delete a space, whatever it was I needed to do.

I could also move my cursor past letters without deleting them using the same button.

On my Pre, the only thing it seems I can do to navigate around in the body of a text is touch the screen with my finger and hope I land in the right place. Maybe my finger tips aren't as pointy as other people's or I'm not holding my mouth just right, but I'm having a rough time making speedy, right-on-the-money-the-first-time edits just using a touch to navigate.

Is this a feature on the Pre I just haven't found yet?
    lol yes there is... you hold shift button and place the cursor in the field and then run it across the word in the direction where you want to stop the cursor and it moves one letter at a time...
    Holding down the shift button and swiping left or right on the screen selects text. Useful if you want to cut/copy to the clipboard.

You can hold down the silver button (or orange on older Pres) and swipe left or right anywhere on the screen to just move the cursor.
  4.    #4  
    Just out of curiosity, how do you guys know these things? The manual that came with my phone was almost but not quite useless, as if they had to throw *something* in there before it shipped.

Is it a case of "Hmmm... what if I hold *this* button and mash that? What happens then?" or is there some secret sect with a repository of knowledge somewhere on the Palm site that I just haven't been inducted into?
    You are on the secret repository right now. The source of all of the Pre knowledge you'd ever want is in these forums on P|C.
    Yes, precentral is the secret repository. Thanks to us who do think "hmm, what if I hold this and mash that" x]
    ATT Pre, same issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fountainhead View Post
    ATT Pre, same issue.

read the replies
    Quote Originally Posted by itsjustme View Post
    Just out of curiosity, how do you guys know these things? The manual that came with my phone was almost but not quite useless, as if they had to throw *something* in there before it shipped.

Is it a case of "Hmmm... what if I hold *this* button and mash that? What happens then?" or is there some secret sect with a repository of knowledge somewhere on the Palm site that I just haven't been inducted into?
    I think it was in the manual that came with my Pre (sprint). To clarify the above, you hold the orange/white button and just use the screen (not the gesture area) as if it were your cursor arrow keys (up swipe is up arrow, left swipe is left arrow, etc).

This one always confused me, because the manual only shows a symbol to show you what to do, but never explained what the symbol was! (gesture hold): gesture-hold+c to copy, gesture-hold+x to cut, gesture-hold+v to paste. Handy after a shift-drag. You can also easily copy URL's from the web browser by scrolling to the top of the page. When you get the URL bar, tap it. The URL will already be selected for you to copy.
    Last edited by knobbysideup; 06/29/2010 at 10:48 AM.
    : (){:|:&};:
    Guys,

NEVER MIND! Just found the answer, thanks!
  11.    #11  
    LOL!

I was already beginning to suspect that this was it as far as the fount of knowledge goes! I did cruise by and check out the Palm forum, and well... I was kinda underwhelmed.

If it hadn't been for this forum, my Pre would have been on its way right back to AT&T on the third day.

I just *thought* I loved my Centro.

Thanks!!
    Quote Originally Posted by itsjustme View Post
    LOL!

I was already beginning to suspect that this was it as far as the fount of knowledge goes! I did cruise by and check out the Palm forum, and well... I was kinda underwhelmed.

If it hadn't been for this forum, my Pre would have been on its way right back to AT&T on the third day.

I just *thought* I loved my Centro.

Thanks!!
    the help app has nice vids too... check em out