Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I have a palmpre with the latest WebOS on the Bell Canada network. I'd like to be able to tether the phone to my laptop, preferably via blue-tooth, but a USB cable will work fine. Is it even possible? I did some searching and it seems like it's possible but I can't figure out how to do it. I can connect the phone to my laptop via blue-tooth but there doesn't seem to be any tethering option on either the phone or the laptop.

Any advice appreciated.
    Yes it is possible... and not very difficult.

Assuming you have Preware installed. Launch it and search for the "Terminal" application, install it.

Now run the Terminal application and type "usbnet enable".

Reboot your phone and your done.

Now, using your PC, you can connect to your Pre using bluetooth.

Sometime, Windows (assuming you're using it) will tell you that you do not have access to the internet... Just use an app on the phone that request some data (refresh in a twitter app or open a page in the Pre Browser) and the connection to the Internet will be completed.

This is due to Bell switching from a private IP NATed address to a public non NATed IP address.

Sometime, Windows will not offer the option to connect to your Pre using an "Access Point". Just right-click on the Pre icon, select properties and then click on the "Services" tab. Windows will then connect to the Pre and enumerate it's services and the option to connect using Access Point will become available.

All the Windows stuff are assuming you run either Vista or 7. For XP, this may depends on your bluetooth stack.

Be aware that this is going to drain your battery faster. But using Bluetooth is a lot less power hungry than using Mobile Hotspot (WIFI) and it depends more on the amount of data you are fetching.

Also install the Bell Mobility Self serve app from the App Catalog, it enable you to monitor your unbilled usage to make sure you do not blow you allowed transfer cap.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Thanks for your note Ukabu. I don't see Terminal in any list of available applications or patches (even if I choose 'show everything' under the preware options).

Thanks for the tip about battery usage - I guess I can help alleviate that by using the USB charging port on the laptop (although, as I mentioned, I would prefer BT).

What am I missing?
    Last edited by Buckot; 06/22/2010 at 05:50 PM.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Well I couldn't find Terminal but I used the linux command line utility of WebOS quick install to run the usbnet enable command.

I can't wait to try tethering. Thanks for the info.
    there is also Terminus that offer an on-device terminal.

note that for some reason, tethering on usb requires to have Freetether installed, but tethering on bluetooth works out of the box.

youcan still charge it via usb even if you tether on bluetooth.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Neither Terminius or Freetether appear to be available through Preware. That's zero for three!
    They can all be found in webOS Internal feed... Testing Feeds - WebOS Internals
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Hi ukabu:

I have those feeds - found out what my problem was though, one of my feeds was causing an error (/feeds/precentral/packages.gz) which was preventing subsequent feeds from updating. Once I turned that feed off, the test feed updated and I found what I was looking for. Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by Buckot; 06/24/2010 at 02:42 PM.