1.    #1  
    I can't figure out how to add a folder to my email. I use comcast for email and I get emails that i want to save. I would like to have a "save" folder to move them to so that I don't accidentally delete them. Does anyone know of a way to make a new folder in email?

Btw, I made a Save folder in my actual email on comcast. I then deleted that email account on my phone and then added it back hoping that it would create that Save folder, but it didn't work. Please any ideas?
    they have a patch in preware that does that,other then that,dont think there is anything you can do.
  3.    #3  
    any idea what the name of the patch is ?

I looked in Preware under the email patches and can't find anything for it?
    "Add Move to Folder Button" - but you need to create the folder on your email server before you can move anything to it.
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalla99 View Post
    "Add Move to Folder Button" - but you need to create the folder on your email server before you can move anything to it.
    I installed the patch you recommended. I then created a new "save" folder on my comcast email server. I synced my email and the new folder was not there. I then deleted my comcast email and put in right back on and it still does not show the newly created folder. Any suggestion?
    Are you using POP3, IMAP or EAS ?

Folders are only supported with IMAP or EAS.
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
  7.    #7  
    that might explain it...it is comcast which apparently uses POP
    Quote Originally Posted by Beach447 View Post
    that might explain it...it is comcast which apparently uses POP
    That is correct, Comcast uses POP and not IMAP. This has bothered me for years, since there's no 2 way syncing (although with the Pre I believe you can delete trash on the email server that you delete on your phone and vice-versa). Because it's POP, you won't be able to create "Folders" in the way you're wanting to do. Also means no push email.

That is why I began using Gmail a few years back and now use them as my main email accounts. And if you're so inclined, it's quite easy to either have your comcast emails forwarded to Gmail, or have Gmail check your comcast email. The advantages of this are endless. 1) Push Email 2) Organization with Folders (Gmail calls them Labels) 3) Filtered messages 4) IMAP so easy synchronization across devices (computer, Pre, etc.).

I highly recommend going the way of Gmail. You can even have both Comcast and Gmail set up on your Pre, where you receive/organize the email in Gmail, but can respond/reply back using your Comcast email. Using browser-based Gmail, you can reply using your Comcast email as well. Eventually, you'll probably use Gmail as your main email. Personally, I have 2 comcast emails (older ones I don't use much), 1 Google Apps Gmail (from my college), 1 work IMAP email address, and 3 Standard Gmail Accounts, all going to my Pre.

Hope that helps you out a bit!
  9.    #9  
    Help a lot. Thank you

I actually have a gmail account that I just recently opened. Because it is new, I don't know much about it. How do you make Gmail check my comcast email?
    Quote Originally Posted by Beach447 View Post
    Help a lot. Thank you

I actually have a gmail account that I just recently opened. Because it is new, I don't know much about it. How do you make Gmail check my comcast email?
    Simple. You have to set it up online. Keep in mind there are two options: 1) Have Comcast forward all messages to your Gmail account, or 2) Have Gmail check your Comcast email for you. I recommend the latter (number 2), so I'll cover that. If you want to go the Comcast way (number 1), you can do that through Comcast's online email client in Preferences I believe.

To set up Gmail to check your comcast email, go to Gmail on a computer, go to "Settings" (top right corner), and select the "Accounts and Import" tab. Here, under "Check mail using POP3," you want to "Add POP3 email account." Click on this, then enter your comcast email address, click "Next Step >>," verify your username is correct (should be fine), and enter your password. I believe you have to enter the following manually:POP Server should be "mail.comcast.net" and Port should be 995. If you use a desktop client for Comcast, want to keep it syncing to your Pre, or want to be able to still go into the online Comcast email client and see your email, check "Leave a copy of retrieved messages on the server." Otherwise, any email that Gmail finds it will "Move" to gmail, meaning it's no longer on the Comcast server for other clients to use. Be sure to check "Always use a secure connection (SSL) when retrieving mail."

Now here's something else to think about. If you want your comcast email to appear in your Gmail inbox just as if it was sent to your Gmail email, don't check "Label incoming messages" and don't check "Archive incoming messages." However, if you're like me and want to be able to differentiate between Gmail and Comcast email (without having to see what the To email address is), I recommend creating a label for all the Comcast email to have. I simply use "Comcast". Now, if you do this but don't select "Archive incoming messages," then online you'll be able to see the difference, but on your Pre the messages will be in the inbox and appear as if they were sent to the Gmail address. If you don't want this, check "Archive incoming messages." This means that your messages won't go to your inbox, which I believe means you wont get notifications for those on your Pre. What you can do, though, is on the main Email App screen, go down to that Gmail account, expand it, and you can see all the different folders. Each "Label" on Gmail is treated as a separate "Folder" on the Pre (and other IMAP clients), which I believe is exactly what you were wanting. If you want, all you have to do is star a folder to see it in the Favorites list (i.e. star "Comcast" and you can have it as a shortcut at the top, with unread count and all). Also, with Labels, you can now "Move to Folder" any emails in that Gmail account (including newly imported Comcast emails). (Btw this is standard in the Email App. The patch in Preware creates a button as a shortcut for doing this) This should allow for as much organization as you can think of. So online you should create the Labels you want, and they'll show up as Folders on the Pre. You can also set up Filters online that will automatically organize messages under certain criteria (i.e. everything from facebook gets the "Facebook" label). Also keep in mind that when in the main Inboxes view in the Email app, you can type to search folder names, so simply type Comcast or whatever and that folder will come right up!

I hope that isn't too much information, I realize I just typed a whole lot. But I wanted to give you as much information as I could.

Let me know if you have any more questions!!

--- Edit:
    I also forgot to mention how to send mail as Comcast using Gmail online. From the same settings page, select "Send mail from another address" and add your Comcast address. You'll get a confirmation in your Comcast email, then you're good to go. You can even set Gmail up to automatically reply to messages from the same address they were sent to. Very useful. Although this doesn't carry over onto your Pre. To send email from Comcast on your Pre, you'll have to have it added as an email account. But you can set it to only sync Manually, that way it doesn't result in duplicates in All Inboxes.
    Last edited by JohnLBurger; 06/22/2010 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Forgot some info
  11.    #11  
    That was a lot of information, but every bit of it was helpful. I have reread it several times to make sure I understand everything. Thanks again.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnLBurger View Post
    Simple. You have to set it up online. Keep in mind there are two options: 1) Have Comcast forward all messages to your Gmail account, or 2) Have Gmail check your Comcast email for you. I recommend the latter (number 2), so I'll cover that. If you want to go the Comcast way (number 1), you can do that through Comcast's online email client in Preferences I believe.

To set up Gmail to check your comcast email, go to Gmail on a computer, go to "Settings" (top right corner), and select the "Accounts and Import" tab. Here, under "Check mail using POP3," you want to "Add POP3 email account." Click on this, then enter your comcast email address, click "Next Step >>," verify your username is correct (should be fine), and enter your password. I believe you have to enter the following manually:POP Server should be "mail.comcast.net" and Port should be 995. If you use a desktop client for Comcast, want to keep it syncing to your Pre, or want to be able to still go into the online Comcast email client and see your email, check "Leave a copy of retrieved messages on the server." Otherwise, any email that Gmail finds it will "Move" to gmail, meaning it's no longer on the Comcast server for other clients to use. Be sure to check "Always use a secure connection (SSL) when retrieving mail."

Now here's something else to think about. If you want your comcast email to appear in your Gmail inbox just as if it was sent to your Gmail email, don't check "Label incoming messages" and don't check "Archive incoming messages." However, if you're like me and want to be able to differentiate between Gmail and Comcast email (without having to see what the To email address is), I recommend creating a label for all the Comcast email to have. I simply use "Comcast". Now, if you do this but don't select "Archive incoming messages," then online you'll be able to see the difference, but on your Pre the messages will be in the inbox and appear as if they were sent to the Gmail address. If you don't want this, check "Archive incoming messages." This means that your messages won't go to your inbox, which I believe means you wont get notifications for those on your Pre. What you can do, though, is on the main Email App screen, go down to that Gmail account, expand it, and you can see all the different folders. Each "Label" on Gmail is treated as a separate "Folder" on the Pre (and other IMAP clients), which I believe is exactly what you were wanting. If you want, all you have to do is star a folder to see it in the Favorites list (i.e. star "Comcast" and you can have it as a shortcut at the top, with unread count and all). Also, with Labels, you can now "Move to Folder" any emails in that Gmail account (including newly imported Comcast emails). (Btw this is standard in the Email App. The patch in Preware creates a button as a shortcut for doing this) This should allow for as much organization as you can think of. So online you should create the Labels you want, and they'll show up as Folders on the Pre. You can also set up Filters online that will automatically organize messages under certain criteria (i.e. everything from facebook gets the "Facebook" label). Also keep in mind that when in the main Inboxes view in the Email app, you can type to search folder names, so simply type Comcast or whatever and that folder will come right up!

I hope that isn't too much information, I realize I just typed a whole lot. But I wanted to give you as much information as I could.

Let me know if you have any more questions!!

--- Edit:
    I also forgot to mention how to send mail as Comcast using Gmail online. From the same settings page, select "Send mail from another address" and add your Comcast address. You'll get a confirmation in your Comcast email, then you're good to go. You can even set Gmail up to automatically reply to messages from the same address they were sent to. Very useful. Although this doesn't carry over onto your Pre. To send email from Comcast on your Pre, you'll have to have it added as an email account. But you can set it to only sync Manually, that way it doesn't result in duplicates in All Inboxes.
    John this is an extremely excellent post, so useful! I had the same issues and now because of this post I have only Gmail set up with my work Outlook Exchange filtering to a folder (don't want direct connection to work as my personal phone would be subject to public information inquiries, I work in government) and my personal Comcast mail now set up as you described above. It works beautifully and I can save emails as well. Calendar items also synch to Gmail. All is well again, thanks!!