1.    #1  
    Hi all,

This just might be a real stupid question, but I thought it would be fun to ask!

Has anyone tried to charge their Pre, must have a Touchstone backcover for this, standing under an electrical transmission high tension wire?

Have you ever seen the videos of someone standing under one of those electric transmission wires and lighting up a florescent tube?

I was wondering if it would work on the Pre's Touchstone back.

I did a mod on my TS cover and the parts that make up a TS are really very simple, just a big coil of very thin copper wire. Just like electricity is made with those 'dynamos' (I think that's what they call them).

Any, just a fun question!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

This has classic thread written all over it.

BTW, you would need a pretty accurate measurement of the electromagnetic field to figure out if it would possible... chances are extremely likely it would never work. The potential is there to generate some power, but how much? Too little and you get nothing, too much and you have a fire in your hand. Distances, positions, line voltage would all be variables.

I would say the coil in the TS cover is way too small to do anything from standing under a high voltage line.
    WOW Really ? lol ha ha
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post
    This has classic thread written all over it.

BTW, you would need a pretty accurate measurement of the electromagnetic field to figure out if it would possible... chances are extremely likely it would never work. The potential is there to generate some power, but how much? Too little and you get nothing, too much and you have a fire in your hand. Distances, positions, line voltage would all be variables.

I would say the coil in the TS cover is way too small to do anything from standing under a high voltage line.
    I should tell you if I had not mentioned it, I had the chance to open up the Touchstone and take it apart. I did it for a modification so I could use my Naztech Engery Bar and my Touchstone without having to change the backcovers. See the thread on the Naztech Energy Bar. I have pictures on my version of modifying the Touchstone backcover to make it work with the Naztech Energy Bar Holster.

Anyway, I had a chance to see the coiled wire, it is very very thin!

So considering that they are developing wireless transmission of AC to a TV (I think one model is currently out now) it seem like it might be possible. And if I'm not mistaken they are also working on getting an electric current from the signals that are currently being transmitted by your wireless router!

Interesting stuff, a bit scary however!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

I'd feel just less safe doing that than standing on the 6th hole at the course during a thunderstorm holding my Pre under a really big umbrella with a nice metal pointy thing at the top.

When you see those vids of someone holding a fluorescent tube and it lighting up, remember that it takes very little current to get the gasses excited in those tubes. Voltage however is another story... and what I'd be concerned with by those power lines.
    I'm curious now... I have an extra TS back for a Pre... maybe I'll hook a meter to it and head down to the local power sub-station.

anyonw have any tech specs on the TS setup? Like what frequency it's oscillating at through the coil assembly and where the rectification happens on the phone side (i would assume in the TS back cover)... maybe even a turns ratio between the TS and the TS back?
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Interesting stuff, a bit scary however!
    Interesting? Sure.

Scary? I guess.

New? Not even close.

If you're not familiar with a gentleman by the name of Nikola Tesla, you should read up on his work.

Broadcasting electricity was one of his many interesting, yet ultimately useless ideas. I say useless, because it was discovered to be mind bogglingly useless over anything but the tiniest distances. The principle involved is the same one which opperates the touchstone, which you've probably noticed, stops functioning at something like 3 or 4 mm of added distance.

In theory, if you had something generate a large/powerful enough field, you could do the same thing from the hight of a high tension power line, or even miles away. Unfortunately, as distance increases, the power required to generate a strong enough field to induce a meaningful charge increases exponentially.

It actually takes FAR more power to charge the pre with the touchstone than it takes to make a florescent bulb glow. It might be worth doing for the sake of novelty if anybody was near transmission lines and had nothing better to do, but I'd bet good money that it doesn't do anything but trash your reception while you're there.
    The dumbest of questions: how to open up a Touchstone without doing to much damage to it. Problem with lots of TS/back cover combinations is that the coils are to close to eachother and you get the intermittent charging annoyance (which you remedy with a business card). Easy way is to mod the back cover, but I guess it would be better to mod the Touchstone.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    The answer is no it wont charge. this is a real actual tried it without knowing i tried it answer.

Last fall i spent a few weeks back at the parents house while finishing a divorce and closing on my new home.....they live next to 3 corner PSEG HV Transmission towers. I regularly walk around and under them to acquire some privacy on phone calls etc NOT ONCE did my charging message light up in fact my reception never dipped either. i actually wondered about reception under the power lines but i had 3 bars at beginning of there street and 3 bars under the towers. No held in hand charging for me only works on the touchstone.....sorry to disappoint.....lol
    T300 - T600 - T650 - T700p - T755p - T800w - Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    how to open up a Touchstone without doing to much damage to it.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...e-surgery.html

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    "wireless transmission of AC to a TV"

Wait.. Really? Explain more plz

Yeah, nokia is trying to make a phone batt that recharges off of many radio frequencies. There's already a USB WiFi device that recharges your laptop by WiFi.
    http://<font color="Navy">Poll: Requ...r webOS</font>

Coming soon-Calm Alarm
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Palm Pimp.
    Comes with 2 free Pixis.
    Quote Originally Posted by imop45 View Post
    "wireless transmission of AC to a TV"

Wait.. Really? Explain more plz

Yeah, nokia is trying to make a phone batt that recharges off of many radio frequencies. There's already a USB WiFi device that recharges your laptop by WiFi.
    These things are all gimmicks. The electromagnetic fields from WiFi, WILL induce a charge, and 'technically' that charge could be routed back to your laptop battery. However, the charge is so tiny, that it cannot, and will not ever, provide any meaningful extension of battery life.