1.    #1  
    I have palm pre and NO access to a pc of ANY KIND. I hope someone can help.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    You're basically screwed until you can get to a computer with internet access. (Maybe friend or public library?)
    Bell Pre- running 2.1 @ 800MHz
    Samsung Galaxy Tab (stock)
    Yeah, you need to get access to a computer to get this stuff started. You only need it once to get Preware on and then your OK.

Find someone in your area that has a Pre, and maybe they can help you.

I would do it myself, but you probably don't live in Astoria Queens, or in the general NYC area.

Library or Internet Cafe were good suggestions.

Palm Pre is one of the only smartphones on the market that can at least get the WebOS updated over the air (no PC of any kind required, WebOS is really the firmware of the phone), not even iPhone can do this.

Remember, in general you are 'hacking' your phone and you need these specialized tools, to get into the phone via a backdoor kind of thing that Palm or any phone manufacture don't want you doing.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Remember, in general you are 'hacking' your phone and you need these specialized tools, to get into the phone via a backdoor kind of thing that Palm or any phone manufacture don't want you doing.

Rob
    Tend to disagree slightly here. Palm do have quite a bit of openess for what goes on here and if they didn't want it done they could blobk a lot of it. I think it was google IO where they had a slide showing how easy it was to homebrew.
    Plus the main reason Preware installation needs a pc is because it would be a massive security risk if it could be done OTA.

Back on topic, Just ask a friend if you can use their pc for an hour or the internet cafe is a good choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Tend to disagree slightly here. Palm do have quite a bit of openess for what goes on here and if they didn't want it done they could blobk a lot of it. I think it was google IO where they had a slide showing how easy it was to homebrew.
    Plus the main reason Preware installation needs a pc is because it would be a massive security risk if it could be done OTA.

Back on topic, Just ask a friend if you can use their pc for an hour or the internet cafe is a good choice.
    Sorry, I did not mean to imply that Palm prevents it like Apple. They allow it, but they don't promote it.

It's still considered something being done as a hack, they will never openly promote this. Think about all the non-techies screwing up their phones and running into the cellular carrier complaining and wanting it to be fix by them.

You will never really see 'Preware' in Palm's App Catalog.

And with HP taking over, there is a possibility that they will lock things down. If you read the message threads, there is some small concern about that and even a plea to HP not to go that route.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)