Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys,

Apologies ahead of time if this is posted elsewhere, didn't find it so I'm posting this.

With WebOS 1.4.5 supposedly out soon it got me wondering.. If we're using UberKernel do we need to try and swap out to the original Palm kernel before doing the update to 1.4.5 or are we fine just to leave UberKernal in place and have no worries when the time comes to download/install 1.4.5?

I remember seeing that patches shouldn't have to be removed anymore, but I couldn't find any info about the kernel.

Anyway, thanks guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by crtjester20 View Post
    Hey guys,

Apologies ahead of time if this is posted elsewhere, didn't find it so I'm posting this.

With WebOS 1.4.5 supposedly out soon it got me wondering.. If we're using UberKernel do we need to try and swap out to the original Palm kernel before doing the update to 1.4.5 or are we fine just to leave UberKernal in place and have no worries when the time comes to download/install 1.4.5?

I remember seeing that patches shouldn't have to be removed anymore, but I couldn't find any info about the kernel.

Anyway, thanks guys.
    uninstall the kernel
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan23945bulls View Post
    uninstall the kernel
    Why exactly are you giving this advice when the uberkernal is OTA update safe?

<b>Will I have to uninstall/disable anything in Uber-Kernel prior to installing an OS update?</b>
    The Uber Kernel should be completely OTA update compatible. You should not have to do anything to you Pre(+) before installing a palm update.
    Source: http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Application:UberKernel#Will_I_have_to_uninstall.2Fdisable_anything_in_Uber-Kernel_prior_to_installing_an_OS_update.3F
    Last edited by pip smith; 06/16/2010 at 07:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Why exactly are you giving this advice when the uberkernal is OTA update safe?
    the kernel app
    webos-internals anticipates that many of us will leave the kernel on and some of us will take it off. some of us wont update until a day or so later, so to see how things go. theoretically its ota update safe, but its never been tested with an ota update , so you cant be so sure. if you wanna help test, dont remove the kernel.
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan23945bulls View Post
    the kernel app
    What kernal app? The uberkernal app icon?
    My recommendation is to not accept the update for the first 24 hours after it is released, and watch the @webosinternals twitter feed for instructions. We will always have an informed recommendation within that timeframe, and if any updates are required to handle any unexpected circumstances, we will usually have the fix released in that timeframe too.

Alternatively, remove absolutely everything from your device to be absolutely safe

As stated in the posts above, the UberKernel has been designed to be OTA-safe, but we have not had a real OTA since it was released.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Hi, guys. I will be getting a pre in the next few days and was wondering if the 800mhz kernel will help with the 3d games. My son usually plays games on my wife's phone (iPhone) but she doesn't like the way he handles it. I have read that the WebOS doesn't have access to the gpu which means that EVERYTHING is rendered by the cpu, right? I have been searching though these forums (this place is awesome!!) but haven't found any real answers to the question. If devs can create 3d games, then why can't the WebOS itself have access to the gpu? Sorry if I hijacked the thread, but I didn't really want to start a whole new thread for a question that may have already been answered. Plus, you guys seem to know the internals of the os inside out. Thanks again guys!!
    Quote Originally Posted by clblanchard View Post
    Hi, guys. I will be getting a pre in the next few days and was wondering if the 800mhz kernel will help with the 3d games. My son usually plays games on my wife's phone (iPhone) but she doesn't like the way he handles it. I have read that the WebOS doesn't have access to the gpu which means that EVERYTHING is rendered by the cpu, right? I have been searching though these forums (this place is awesome!!) but haven't found any real answers to the question. If devs can create 3d games, then why can't the WebOS itself have access to the gpu? Sorry if I hijacked the thread, but I didn't really want to start a whole new thread for a question that may have already been answered. Plus, you guys seem to know the internals of the os inside out. Thanks again guys!!
    I find the 3d games play fine from stock. But 800 certainly gives them that extra bit of juice and responsiveness.
    What you might benefit more from some of the kernals is the memory tweaking that is taking place, this should ensure no TMC errors when opening a 3d game.
    Your take on the gpu is correct and should be rectified by the fall according to Palm.
    Some apps now have GPU support, and that will continue to grow moving forward. In the mean time we are expecting an update very soon, and I would recommend waiting until after the update before adding any overclock solutions since you don't have your Pre as of yet.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Hi, guys. I will be getting a pre in the next few days and was wondering if the 800mhz kernel will help with the 3d games. My son usually plays games on my wife's phone (iPhone) but she doesn't like the way he handles it. I have read that the WebOS doesn't have access to the gpu which means that EVERYTHING is rendered by the cpu, right?
    What you've read is incorrect, like most things on forums and blogs

WebOS has specific support for applications to use 3D hardware accelleration. 3D Games in the app catalog are the first applications that do so.

Apart from the 3D games, we're not aware of other parts of the user interface being hardware accellerated yet, but Palm have spoken about plans to do so in their developer day videos.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 06/16/2010 at 11:10 PM.
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Thanks, pip. I forgot to mention that it's going to be a pre+ on at&t (hence, the wife's iPhone.). Will the memory tweaking be noticeable since it will have 512 meg of ram? Are those kernels able to overclock to the 800mhz? I'm coming from a Blackjack II I have had since the beginning of time and there are no patches or kernel updates like this. I know Linux quite well though and it's one of the reasons I'm sold on WebOS. Well, that and it is just so fun and elegant at the same time. But I still don't understand why the gpu is just now getting tapped. Was it a driver issue? I know Linux has had problems with my PC hardware (server and desktop distros).
    Wow, you guys are fast lol. I'm glad to hear that they are making progress on the issue. You all have been most helpful. Thanks a million!
  14.    #14  
    I have the original Pre that came out on June 6th... apparently I'm like one of three people who have yet to get a replacement... but I digress... Overclocking did not seem to make a HUGE difference to the 3D gaming (Hero of Sparta to be specific) but it did make it a little smoother. Regardless I'm a big fan of the overclock and with as easy as these *WONDERFUL* developers have made it, it's really a no-brainer as to whether or not it's worth it to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by crtjester20 View Post
    I have the original Pre that came out on June 6th... apparently I'm like one of three people who have yet to get a replacement... but I digress... Overclocking did not seem to make a HUGE difference to the 3D gaming (Hero of Sparta to be specific) but it did make it a little smoother. Regardless I'm a big fan of the overclock and with as easy as these *WONDERFUL* developers have made it, it's really a no-brainer as to whether or not it's worth it to do it.
    I can deal with smoother lol. I have been reading about f102/104, uberkernel, govnah, and such. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good combination as far as memory tweaking/overclocking is concerned?
    I can deal with smoother lol. I have been reading about f102/104, uberkernel, govnah, and such. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good combination as far as memory tweaking/overclocking is concerned?
    You probably want to follow @webosinternals on Twitter, and read Twitter / WebOS Internals: Confused by all the differ ...

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by clblanchard;251164 3
    Wow, you guys are fast lol. I'm glad to hear that they are making progress on the issue. You all have been most helpful. Thanks a million!
    Welcome to the world of webOS! Since you are with AT&T, you may find some useful information here: http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...stop-here.html

Enjoy your new Pre!
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    hey guys,
    i forgot to deinstall govnah & uberkernel before i had done the update(to 1.4.5). Now i can't reinstall the uberkernel. i've restored my pre with webosdoc, but this didn't solved my problem. Are still uberkernel files (before i done the update) on the phone and that is the cause of my "installation problem"?
    Quote Originally Posted by dVoID View Post
    hey guys,
    i forgot to deinstall govnah & uberkernel before i had done the update(to 1.4.5). Now i can't reinstall the uberkernel. i've restored my pre with webosdoc, but this didn't solved my problem. Are still uberkernel files (before i done the update) on the phone and that is the cause of my "installation problem"?
    A webOS Doctor restores all operating system files, including the kernel.

BTW, you might want to mention what device you have, what version of webOS you're running, and what tool (and version) you are using to install the kernel. Those are the absolute minimum you should report in every post requesting assistance.

-- Rod
    Rod,

I know you people in Australia got the GSM update first thing, us Sprint users are still waiting. Have you had any troubles with OTA compatiblity with kernals on the GSM one?

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast