1.    #1  
    I've tried download library audiobooks (with DMR) directly to Palm Pre and from my MAC/virtual PC. Can;t do. Am ready to return and get an android from Verizons. Also can't watch hulu since there is no compatible adobe flash player. Am I just missing something or being stupid. Thanks.

Fred
    Do you have preader installed from homebrew, if not download preware and then preader. Then go to project Gutenberg and download books in your media library, for me mobi format works the best.

Hit thanks, if that helped you.
    From where are you trying to download these Audiobooks?
    Quote Originally Posted by fredkrusemark View Post
    I've tried download library audiobooks (with DMR) directly to Palm Pre and from my MAC/virtual PC. Can;t do. Am ready to return and get an android from Verizons. Also can't watch hulu since there is no compatible adobe flash player. Am I just missing something or being stupid. Thanks.

Fred
    Is there a player available for the pre that is compatible with the DRM (Is ume what you meant by DMR was DRM) scheme used by the library?

Most public libraries use the Overdrive Media Console to handle DRM and you must download the audiobook to a computer and then send it to your mobile device, as far as I can tell there is no direct download. For some mobile devices there is a mobile version of the media console, sadly no such beast is available for webOS.

Do be aware that not all android devices will play all Overdrive Media titles since they can be either MP3 or WMA.

If your library does indeed use Overdrive Media for their audiobooks try going here and work through the section titled "Test a Device for Compatibility".

Good luck
  5.    #5  
    Thank you all from your tips. I will continue to check with Overdrive Media Player to see when/if they plan to make a version for Palm. Supposedly you can use iTunes to convert WMA files to transfer to your phone, but iTunes would not even recognize the devise. Also I haven;t been able to get iTunes to convert and transfer over WMA file to my iPod and have given up trying after days on the phone with Apple support.

While I am leary of going to freeware sites, I will check out homebrew and load the preware and preader. Thanks again.

Fred
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    what I've done in the past:
    Download Overdrive Audiobook to PC.
    Install Adacity (free sound recorder/editor).
    Press Record in Audacity and Play in Overdrive
    Go to sleep
    When the book is done, stop recording and use Audacity to trim any dead air at the end.
    Export as mp3 (takes a long time with these huge files)
    Copy file to Pre and open in Musicplayer Remix (which allows bookmarling. The default music player doesn't).
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Melodycan is a powerful Video Converter. This software converts avi (Windows Video), WMV (Windows Media Video) and m4v, mov, aac, ra, aa, mp4, snd, aif, m4p, rax, wav, ogg etc.
    MelodyCan can also convert video files of any kinds to commonly used iPod MPEG4 files (MP4) and DivX files (AVI, DIVX) for playback at home video devices. With MelodyCan you are not bound to your PC anymore and can play your movies on almost any device you have. MelodyCan can convert protected Windows Media Video (WMV) files to regular MPEG4 files (mp4) for iPod devices or convert WMV to DivX format for home DVD/DivX players. MelodyCan also can convert protected iTunes video files (M4V) to MPEG4 or DivX.
    OK, here's the deal with Library audiobooks. They all (no matter what format) have DRM so that they stop being useable after their loan period. When you install their Overdrive software one of the things you have to do is download an identifying piece of software to your device ("authorizing the device"). Without that you can't play them. The only way around this is to strip out the DRM using some kind of software for this since Overdrive and even Audible use DRM. I don't want to do this since it is technically illegal since they assume you are trying to illegally copy and share these audiobooks. (Curse DRM to the darkest reaches of Hell!) The only other solution is to pressure Audible (for recorded books you've bought) and Overdrive to come out with an app you can download to "authorize your device".
    Old thread - I was just stopping in to see if webOS has overdrive yet...

What I do know:
    Sound Taxi works with both overdrive and audible books. It converts to mp3 faster than real-time.

It does check to see if you have the license to play the file before it will convert so it works fine on *your* library loans or audible files. The MP3s are (of course) huge but the process is painless. I just delete them after listening as I can always re-download from my library or audible.