Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    So far, I like my new Pre Plus, but when I took the original .MP4 video off the device and copied another video (wmv) to the root, I don't see it in the movie player. I also don't see an .AVI file I put in a Documents folder (although document viewer sees other documents there).

I'm also wondering if a Bluetooth file transfer utility is available or in the offing? It would be great to move data without using the cable. I guess I could run a "web server" on a PC and go through WiFi.

Obviously, by making the tiny USB plug body so large that it strains the port cover tether, Palm/HP is pretty much forcing people to buy the touchstone. Seems a bit under-handed. I expect that tether to come loose in a week and no doubt there are no replacement covers available.

Anyway, any ideas on video format/location or a file manager?

Thanks
    Hi hugh, and Welcome to the P|C forums, webOS, and your new addiction!

You won't see a .wmv file in your device, because that format is not supported at this time. Here are the file types that are supported by the Pre and Pixi:

Audio formats: MP3, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, AMR, QCELP, WAV
    Video formats: MPEG-4, H.263, H.264

To play an .AVI file it would have to be saved in one of the containers above. As long as the file type you are trying to play is listed above, you can drop that file anywhere on the Pre (not just the root) and it will show up for you.

I don't believe the bluetooth utility you want will be available until Palm opens that API to developers.

You can get replacement USB doors from Palm. Just contact their support service, or chat with them on the their website.

Let us know if you have anymore questions!
    Quote Originally Posted by hugh_h View Post
    So far, I like my new Pre Plus, but when I took the original .MP4 video off the device and copied another video (wmv) to the root, I don't see it in the movie player. I also don't see an .AVI file I put in a Documents folder (although document viewer sees other documents there).

I'm also wondering if a Bluetooth file transfer utility is available or in the offing? It would be great to move data without using the cable. I guess I could run a "web server" on a PC and go through WiFi.

Obviously, by making the tiny USB plug body so large that it strains the port cover tether, Palm/HP is pretty much forcing people to buy the touchstone. Seems a bit under-handed. I expect that tether to come loose in a week and no doubt there are no replacement covers available.

Anyway, any ideas on video format/location or a file manager?

Thanks
    Welcome to the forums.
    I don't fully remember what file types are supported but I'm pretty sure that .wmv is not. Don't know about the .avi though.

A bluetooth transfer is not available at the moment but there is wifi media sync in the app catalogue that might help. If you also want to manage files on the device you may want to look into installing preware(install.preware.org) and then installing Internalz from it.
    Description can be found here http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/internalz

As for the usb cover, I actually find it a very neat solution and it is sturdier that you think. I don't think palm was trying to undercut anyone, just had a neat solution. If you need to open the usb door just slide the pre open first. Is far easier this way.