Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Can someone please assist me with some simple instructions on how to tether with my Sprint Palm Pre. I have tried many things from many forums and still cannot get it to work. If I can't figure it out soon I might (very relunctantly) have to switch to the new Sprint EVO. PLEASE HELP!
    What tethering programs have you tried? I use MyTether (donation version) and have it working great.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I tried MyTether (donation version) as well and could never get it working. Could you give me step by step intructions on how you got yours working. I would greatly appreciate it.
    Do you have WebOs Quick Install up and running? If so you just need the files 2 files for Mobil Hotspot, and it should work in a flash

Let me know if you need the 2 files.. But Web Os Quick Install is required..
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I have webos quick install but I didnt' think the mobile hotspot worked on the Sprint Pre
    If someone could post the step by step on youtube that would be sweet. I tried also and couldn't get it to take. Tethering would make my life soooooo much easier!
    Quote Originally Posted by callderek View Post
    If someone could post the step by step on youtube that would be sweet. I tried also and couldn't get it to take. Tethering would make my life soooooo much easier!
    What application are you using to tether? Each app tends to have support and instructions specific to their product. So MyTether instructions are going to be easiest to find on mytether.com, etc.

I'm still not sure that you are using the term "tethering" the way I am...
    Nevermind, there are vids on youtube already!
    -
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 08/25/2010 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Removed links to threads with illegally distributed software
    Well, tether meaning using my Pre as a wireless modem I suppose. Or mobile hotspot....
    Quote Originally Posted by callderek View Post
    Well, tether meaning using my Pre as a wireless modem I suppose. Or mobile hotspot....
    Those are not the same...
    Tethering uses the phone as a DUNS device to a single phone. Using the phone as a mobile hotspot means broadcasting a as a WiFi access point. To my knowledge you can't "tether" the pre, but you can use the various hotspot apps such as MyTether...

Did any of the threads above help you?
    Thanks, yes. I'm on my pre right now so as soon as I can get hm or wk I'll check them out closer.

Thanks again for your help!
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Thanks. I followed the directions and have it working as we speak. Very simple. Loving my pre even more.
    I think for ease of finding a word, we are all just saying tethering to mean any use of the Pre to connect another device to the internet using the Pre as the gateway..

MyTether uses the word tether, to convey that idea.

Mobile Hotspot is another application that allows you to use the PRE as an internet gateway, that you wirelessly "tether" another computer or device to.

I understand what you mean, in old school terms of using it as a DUNs(Dial Up Networking), but I think we are just using the term tethering to encompass ALL forms of using the PRE as an internet Gateway..
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

Hmmmmm. Mobile Hotspot shows up in my Launcher, turns on and shows up on my laptop as an avaliable network. I choose my (hotspot) network, it shows that it connects but nothing...on the bottom right there's an icon of two computer monitors that shows a blue orb (windows vista) when it connects but that never shows up. Any ideas about what I'm missing?

Edit: I'm on Sprint 1.4.1.1
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    I think for ease of finding a word, we are all just saying tethering to mean any use of the Pre to connect another device to the internet using the Pre as the gateway..

MyTether uses the word tether, to convey that idea.

Mobile Hotspot is another application that allows you to use the PRE as an internet gateway, that you wirelessly "tether" another computer or device to.

I understand what you mean, in old school terms of using it as a DUNs(Dial Up Networking), but I think we are just using the term tethering to encompass ALL forms of using the PRE as an internet Gateway..
    I hope that is the case, however I'm not sure about AT&T. They have their own communications app, and the description on their website sounds similar to the old VZ connection software that used DUNS model of only connecting one PC.

I don't think all carriers support DUNS. I know that Sprint specifically didn't allow "tethering" on the Pre, which is why I waited so patiently for VZ to launch... so I assume they aren't using DUNS. But I know that when I first connected my Pre+ to Windows7, it told me I needed a Sprint DUNS driver for the modem it just found... although it's not a sprint phone. I'm also not sure what carriers outside the US use.

It's good to have clear context so we are answering the right question. Once we get to where they mean the same thing, then we have to work on not confusing MHS (which is a Verizon application) with the other apps that do it, such as MyTether, FreeTether, and whatever AT&T is calling in now...
    Ok, this works! I just needed to take a chill pill and wait about 10 secs for it to connect up. This is sweet...obviously this could use up to 5G pretty fast so need to regulate so big brother sprint is none the wiser. I have an unlimited plan but I guess there's a red-flag point of use...
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    My wife has the Pixi but since it does not have wifi i will not be able to put the mobile hotspot on it right?
    does anyone have the two .ipk's? the links are dead. sorry for bumping an old post.

edit: whoops wrong thread.