Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Maybe it's because it's the next day, who knows. But I cleared out all the files and restarted the Pre. Followed steps 3-5 once more and this time it worked. I still miss my Centro's ***** proof connection ability though.

Thanks to everyone that helped out!
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    The next step is to be able to do this via Mobile Hotspot. Should be possible, right? I mean, the Pre and the PC are on the same LAN when the PC is connected to the mobile hotspot.

So I turned on the hotspot app, and connected to the new network from my PC. Then I looked up (using IPCONFIG in Windows) the "Default Gateway" IP address, which is the IP address of the wi-fi router (in this case, the Pre). I then used that IP address in FileZilla, and bazinga! Pre access.

So you actually don't even need a network to transfer files. Just the Pre and the FTP client. I haven't tried this when there's no EVDO signal (it's possible Mobile Hotspot won't start without one) but I'm pretty excited about this
    It works fine with hotspot and no cellular signal. You can also use that for connecting two devices for multiplayer gaming ...

-- Rod
    Does it work with a USB cable?
    I use GoodSync for synchronizing my computer with my Pre, whenever I plugged it in via USB. GoodSync has the ability to synchronize via SFTP, but I never have had the need to use it ... until today. Thanks to learning how to set up the SFTP, I am now able to synchronize my Pre with my computer without a touch and without a USB cable. I set GoodSync on a schedule and it will periodically test to see if I'm logged into my WiFi, and if so, it conducts a remote synchronization. So, my photos are backed up without any hassle. Additionally, any other directories I set up to sync or backup (there is an option for a 2 way or 1 way sync) are also backed up automatically.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    I am trying to get the above procedure to work with all the Pre phones in the family with a single computer on a single WIFI.

I thought that in order to do this, instead of accepting the file name id_rsa, I would need to have a different file name for each connection. Maybe my logic is wrong, but this is what I did:

Following the beginning instructions, rather than accept the id_rsa file name, I entered

Code:
    id_rsa_name1
    THEN hit enter.

I then hit enter twice to have no password, then I got the following response:

Code:
    Your identification has been saved in id_rsa_name1.
    Your public key has been saved in id_rsa_name1.pub.
    The key fingerprint is: [lots of #'s and :'s],root@palm-webos-device
    The key's randomart image is: [image]root@palm-webos-device:/#
    I typed the following from the instructions in the OP with a modification allowing for the _name1 change:

Code:
    mv /home/root/.ssh/id_rsa_name1.pub /home/root/.ssh/authorized_keys
    then hit enter.

I got the following response:

Code:
    mv: cannot rename '/home/root/.ssh/id_rsa_name1.pub': No such file or directory root@palm-webos-device:/#
    My logic is wrong somewhere, can anyone explain what I did wrong?

Thanks!
    Last edited by jdod; 08/19/2010 at 11:23 AM.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
  7.    #87  
    Since the only place you'll need to have multiple keys—and thus multiple filenames—is on the desktop side, I recommend a simpler approach.

Follow the instructions explicitly. When you get to the fourth bullet of step 5 where you convert the id_rsa file to a .ppk file, you are prompted for a filename. This is where you can give each key a unique name. When you're done with all of them your SFTP configuration in FileZilla should list each of your private keys. You'll also want to set up a corresponding site for each of your devices to automate connecting.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Thanks, makes sense.

I am guessing the file I created with the _name1 addition does exist. Guess it won't hurt to leave it wherever it is, but how do you delete it?
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
  9.    #89  
    rm <filename>

Obviously, make sure you're just removing the file you created, and not an existing file or folder. Or you could just wait until you have ftp access and delete it using FileZilla.
    help please. i consider myself pretty good at following directions but when i get to step 3 with second set of commands, terminal keeps saying, not found? anyone know why this is happening?
    The mov command looks like 2 lines in the post, but it should be entered on one line I think.
  12.    #92  
    There are a total of four commands to issue in Terminal. Be sure to hit ↵ after each and that there's a space before /home and /media. If it's a problem with my formatting, you can always go to the source.

If you still get an error, chances are the OpenSSH SFTP Server didn't get installed correctly in step 2 or you didn't perform a restart after doing so.
    zparticle....great instructions, and i'm connected!!!
    Question. I used to use winscp before it broke, and I recall having to run putty (after connecting) and entering some remount, and sudo commands. Specifically, these:
    4) Type sudo mount -o remount,rw / to log in as root and make RW
    5) Type sudo i --takes you to root
    6) Type rootfs_open -w

Do i need to do that still? Or do I not need to since I just logged in as root?
    Has anyone gotten this to work with Ubuntu? I've gotten my keys imported using ssh-add in the terminal, but I can connected I get an input/output file error or unexpected end of stream.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Zahid, you stole my thunder. I was also able to do this using the Pre's mobile hotspot. I found the IP address by going to "network connection details" after connecting my PC to the Pre's wifi.
    Zpart
    Is it necessary to be in dev mode to root into Pre (whether with Filezilla or Winscp)?

Thanks
  17.    #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by NABRIL15 View Post
    Is it necessary to be in dev mode to root into Pre (whether with Filezilla or Winscp)?
    Nope. You're signing in with an SSH key which gives you root access to the device. The Developer Mode setting is irrelevant here.
    I was using this in 1.4.1.1 but it has not worked for me in 1.4.5.

I tried removing sftp and reinstalling with a new key but it still will not work. Any ideas?
  19.    #99  
    I didn't have to make any changes when I upgraded to 1.4.5. I think you're on the right track, but this time try removing all of the Optware components, rebooting, and then reinstalling. If it still fails to connect, let us know what error you're getting.
    Quote Originally Posted by zParticle View Post
    I didn't have to make any changes when I upgraded to 1.4.5. I think you're on the right track, but this time try removing all of the Optware components, rebooting, and then reinstalling. If it still fails to connect, let us know what error you're getting.
    Well that took care of it for me. Also I would make a note the Internalz could be used to copy the files around if any users are not comfortable with that part.

Also, it looks like the keys stay around after an uninstall. Saved me a step.

Thanks!
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast