1.    #1  
    Is there any way to selectively turn off the 3G data pipe, but still allow voice calls?

When I am at home I prefer to use the Wifi connection for data.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
  2.    #2  
    Found the answer to my own question.

To turn off 3g, launch the phone app, go to preferences and there is an option to turn off data. So yes this is done easily.

Also there is a patch and app that give you quick access to this functionality if you need to turn it back on and off. Both can be found in preware. The app is simply called data toggle, look it up if you want.

this might help also, there is an app called netstat that allows you to track your data usage, you might want to check the homebrew section for this also.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I like the Device Menu Megamix package, it allows you to turn the data off from the Device menu (swipe down on the upper right) and has some other features.
    I'm pretty sure that when you're connected to wifi, the 3G data connection is automatically not used. If you leave your wifi on at all times, the phone should do everything for you without having to turn anything on or off.
    Quote Originally Posted by ISU_phoria View Post
    I'm pretty sure that when you're connected to wifi, the 3G data connection is automatically not used. If you leave your wifi on at all times, the phone should do everything for you without having to turn anything on or off.
    That is definitely correct. When there is an active wifi connection the 3G data connection turns itself of. The icon in the top bar should disappear. It even saves you some battery life because the wifi connection puts a little less strain on the battery. I do not recommend turning wifi on all the time, because when there is no network to join the 3g connection stays active and wifi drains your battery.
    can anyone give me any advice? recently my battery life took a turn for the worst after installing uber kernel. battery monitor reports reports that during use i'm using about 20% (sometimes more) per hour when i am on 3G.

For some reason it is a lot less when I am on wifi (about 8% during use) even when I am in areas of good 3G network (i thought wifi drain more power when in areas of good connection?)

my GPS is off, i decreased the frequency of refreshing on my twitter and facebook apps and set email to manual. my phone was even plugged in and it was losing percentage. i'm confused!