1.    #1  
    I have been struggling with my windows pos, oops i mean pc, machine dumping my usb drive every time I try to drag and drop more than a couple of files at a time. I got the same issue when using iTunes with Media Sync. It was driving me crazy! I was having this problem with both of my computers and I was loosing faith in my Pre. But today I decided to see if my choice of usb cables was to blame. See I was using a micro usb cable from some previous phone so that I could use my oem palm cable on my touchstone, and would you believe it I transferred 2 whole seasons of one of my favorite shows (about 50 episodes) to my Pre in one shot. AWESOME! I really have no idea why an inert usb cable could effect the capabilities of the transfer itself but it seems to have fixed my problem.

I hope that this helps some people out there. And if for some reason my mass transfer is a one time fluke I will update this thread, and be very unhappy too.
    Thanks saabturbo! I'm sure this will help some new users out. We've been telling people for quite a while to use Palm OEM cables (and chargers) only to avoid issues like this. They definitely DO make a difference. Thanks for posting your personal experience for others to read - it helps reinforce the point.
  3.    #3  
    Update...
    It definitely works better but it still kicks me off after a while. I am now wondering if it is a combination of the inferior cable and overheating. I am using the Uber Kernel and I have been playing around with lowering the processor to not let it heat up so much. I guess we'll see.
    it depends.. some cables suck, but it doesn't have to be oem... I got some from monoprice and they worked like a charm until i lost them.. (lost 3)
    does your pc have the same issue when copying lots of huge files to an external USB hard drive? It's possible, but it would be odd if you had the same issue with multiple PCs. What version of Windows are you using?

It almost sounds like the issue that XP had when doing large file transfers over WiFi for several years until MS finally fixed it. That probably isn't related.
  6.    #6  
    I don't have any other issues with the pc's when it comes to USB connectivity. I use 2 external hard drives and transfer large (multigig) files to them all the time. I even transfer large files via wifi, between them, w/o any problems. I am using Windows XP SP3 w/ all of the latest updates. My USB ports are USB 2 enabled. I use other usb devices ie digital camera, camcorder, my wife's HTC Eris and I really don't have any issues with them either.

Huh. It's a mystery, an annoying pain in my sack, mystery. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    I'm having this problem - drops every time part way through an itunes sync. I'm using a NEW OEM cable, have tried two different USB ports, 3rd party software. Even tried a hard reset of the phone.

XP home, SP3

Any ideas?
    Mine works like a charm every time using a Palm or Blackberry cable.
    Hmm I just bought a cheapo cable here for 2$ and it seems to not charge fast. Is there any reason for this. I know good cables make a difference sonically in hifi, but isn't a USB cable a pretty standard thing?
    M100=> 180 => 270 => 600 => 650 => 680 => 680 => 680 => Pre(GSM Pre minus)=>Galaxy S2 32GB
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wekya View Post
    Hmm I just bought a cheapo cable here for 2$ and it seems to not charge fast. Is there any reason for this. I know good cables make a difference sonically in hifi, but isn't a USB cable a pretty standard thing?
    Old post, but in case your still wondering, some cables have extra pins allowing for faster charge.
    Sprint Palm Pre-